Feeds

back to article Rackspace claims credit for shushing Koran-burning 'pastor'

Hosting company Rackspace shut down the Dove World Outreach Center's website last night, because it broke its acceptable use policy. Pastor Terry Jones is enjoying his 15 minutes of fame thanks to plans for an International Burn the Koran Day to mark the anniversary of 9/11. Jones also plans to burn copies of the Talmud. Jones' …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Flame

How many Islamic sites has Rackspace shut down?

You know the 'To hell with democracy, Islam will rule the world' types. It would have made the news if Rackspace had shut such sites down, so I don't think it has. 'Hate speech', after all, only applies to those who are not part of the 'diversity'.

Grenade

Re: How many Islamic sites has Rackspace shut down?

Probably none, but contrary to your uninformed opinion, such sites do get shut down frequently. Tell you what, if you find any hosted by Rackspace, that contain genuine hate speech, then complain.

Grenade

To be fair ...

Rackspace did say they "respond to complaints".

Has anyone complained to Rackspace about any Islamic sites inciting violence ?

FAIL

Simple test...

You tell us all, on here, the RUL for such a site which you know for a fact is hosted on Rackspace, we can register a complaint with them, then see what happens.

Deal?

After all, you must know of some such sites - surely you wouldn't resort to spouting bullshit just to try to stir up more anti-Islamic hostility, right?

Anonymous Coward

Re how many islamic...

I would imagine the figure of Islamic sites that have been shut down will be the exact amount that had received justified complaints about abuse of Rackspace's terms of service (if that amounts to any at all).

Now calm down and go back to reading the daily mail/express/bnp leaflet

Silver badge
Thumb Down

Do you realise...

That El Reg is based in a country than bans extremist Islamist groups... But they won't close down the Catholic church. Life is so unfair.

Headmaster

Define hate speech

Before anyone can reply they need your definition. And that is the problem. Hate speech is in the eye of the beholder.

You say that Islamic hate sites have frequently been shut down. You must have some examples for everyone.

BB because I am afraid of some one who is operating a utility ( which is what the Internet is, just like phone and power) says what I can listen to.

@Hud Dunlap

>>"BB because I am afraid of some one who is operating a utility ( which is what the Internet is, just like phone and power) says what I can listen to."

I don't think you quite understand the Internet.

This isn't about anyone deciding what *you* can look at (ie your ISP blocking you from seeing sites that exist), it's about people running web hosting services deciding who *they* want to have as customers.

If I decline to let someone spout bollocks or spew vitriol from my premises, I'm not stopping them speaking elsewhere *or* preventing you from listening to them, I'm just declining to be a paid facilitator of their communication, as I have a perfect right to do.

PS

George Orwell is the guy with the moustache.

The guy with the sideburns and mortar board is an actor in a (60's?) school comedy.

@Chad H

To be fair, judging from their actions, not that many Catholics in the UK seem to take the Catholic church as being exactly authoritative.

Thumb Up

Well done

Well done RackSpace.

Anonymous Coward

gives religion a bad name

any extremist gives religion a bad name. stupid redneck biggots even more so.

I feel sorry for the Christians who have to live with lunatics like this claiming to represent them... just like the Irish had to put up with the IRA "speaking for them" and a few unbalanced "fundamental" Muslims make life hard for the rest.

so much for religion being a comfort and a set of guidelines to live a better life when a minority of shouty nut-jobs can pervert the message and excuse their poor behaviour...

hhm

This has nothing to do with religion. If religion did not exist this bloke would find another way of finding a group of people to hate.

Thumb Up

QFT

What he said

Grenade

Sadly religion has everything to do with it.

Without religion, it's just a nutter saying "let's burn some paper and ink".

Throw religion into the mix, and you have a bunch of crazed nutter with their sky-fairy backing them up.

So it goes from "Let's burn some paper and ink because I said so" to "Burn the work of the devil because God saysso and if you don't you'll burn in hell!".

Rather a fundamental (excuse the pun) difference there by adding religion and the Sky Fairy into the mix.

Thumb Up

Absolutely right

Well said. Keep promoting this viewpoint and they lose their power.

The IRA spoke for the IRA. NOT Ireland. I'm Irish, and was sickened by the stuff they did. They did not speak for me. EVER!

The fundies and random nutters of any arbitrary group speak only for themselves, but try to pull the rest of us into one side or another. It only works if you let it.

Ah, that's right...

Stalin, Hitler, Manson, they were all avid churchgoers. I hadn't recalled that.

Go

sky-fairy

Awesome.

Silver badge
FAIL

OK im sick of hearing this...

Lets a get a few things straight:

Stalin - trained as an orthodox priest before leaving to join the revolution.

Manson - started his own "church". Kinda like this moron.

Hitler - happily bought off the church with a large amount of money in the form of the kirchesteuben (Church tax). And singled out other religions (judaism in particular, but others as well) as being for the gas chamber.

Just because they didnt do their death and destruction in the name of a religion, doesnt mean they didnt follow a religion.

Why you thought your comment was a relevant reply to AC's comment, which was stating that fundamentalists of all religions cause problems for the rest of us, i will never know!

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

Well said

http://www.jesusneverexisted.com should be required reading.

Pint

Genius. A pint for you.

I do like the way you rate importance El Reg. Sarah Palin is right up there with Hilary Clinton (who has a powerful job) The Vatican and an Army general fighting a war. (and you missed off President Obama who added his weight to it) how a jobbing useless creationist nutter that now works for Fox news (who have been taken to court for lying and making stuff up.) can rate up there is anyones guess, but credit to reg' for trying.

Go rackspace, but me thinks double standards and fear of them getting reprisals more than a courageous stand.

J 3

@Genius. A pint for you.

Well... I took the mention of the fake hockey mom and fake hunter as a way of implying that condemnation of this guy's plan is coming from all sides -- even the publicly anti-Islamic ones. By the way, now they (the anti-Islamic) are using this to boost their campaign against the "ground-zero" (it isn't) "mosque" (it isn't either), by saying it's the same situation -- just because you have the right to do it in America, it does not mean you should, they say.

Oh well, as other fellow commentards already said, it's the media's fault. A tiny loony ignored is a tiny loony no one would have ever heard of.

Palin

is the poster child of bonkers, myopic, right wing nutters.

Title

I think the point of including Palin was that even 'a jobbing useless creationist nutter' can and does (to use Mrs Palin's word) 'refudiate' the lunatic hatred from some twat from Florida.

Otherwise, I absolutely agree. Rackspace probably are more concerned with attacks, both financial and physical, than with hate regulation. Much in the same way Comedy Central network were too scared to broadcast Mohammed in South Park but perfectly willing show Jesus Christ shitting on the US flag and President Bush in the same show.

Anonymous Coward

Defining the scale

Sarah Palin is just in the list for calibration purposes: if Hillary Clinton appears at the "mainstream liberal" end of the scale, then you need someone to appear at the "fringe conservative" end of the scale. That this guy then appears off the scale, beyond Palin, is enough to tell everyone that he's not merely outside the mainstream, he's a total moron.

Silver badge

Beyond the Palin?

sorry couldn't resist the pun

Troll

Sigh....

...don't feed the trolls....

If the press had just ignored him, no one would of even noticed.

Anonymous Coward

Carrying on the tradition

It seems the christian church has been one of the leading proponents of book burning in the past. It would be a shame for the tradition to die out just because it is not needed in modern society.

Silver badge

Don't blame us

The vast majority of Christians don't back this. A few idiots like this guy and Fred Phelps give us all a bad name. They're the Christian equivalent of Islamic terrorists.

@sisk

>>"They're the Christian equivalent of Islamic terrorists."

Well, strictly speaking, a better [domestic US] equivalent would be the people who go round murdering doctors who commit the crime of undertaking legal abortions.

For all his regrettable delusions and sickeningly selfish behaviour, Phelps does seem to try and stay inside the letter of the law, even while possibly pissing all over the spirit of it, and possibly this latest self-styled cleric may be similar.

However, I'd agree that it's sad that a few people who would seemingly be better off in a psychiatric hospital can end up being seen as even slightly representative of a religion.

Thumb Down

How about a balanced point of view?

I think you'd find churches speaking and acting against injustices are the norm, but that doesn't make juicy headlines or spoutfodder for anon cowards like yourself.

Maybe this book burning nut job is just carrying on the same old Anglo-American racist and imperialist traditions as the troops are currently in Iraq and Afghanistan. Not that I'd subscribe to such ridiculous notions.

Silver badge
Stop

Relax

I think the AC was only engaged in some mild irony

Silver badge

IT Angle

Really it's just a case of offshoring.

Catholics have been the official bogeyman and suppliers of terrorism services by royal appointment since 1536 - proper hand crafted British terrorism.

Now they just outsource it all to the third world with shoddy cheap foreign terrorism.

It's just not fair..

Alert

Protestants are the good guys?

In 1969 the British Army went into Northern Ireland at the request of the Government of Northern Ireland to protect Catholics from sectarian violence.

Not aware of the details in this case

But I'm sure the Soviet Union sent troops to Hungary and Czechoslovakia to "protect" them as well.

Flame

Maybe if we ignore him he'll go away?

Surely "out troops are in danger" only because news agencies around the globe are focusing on this one backwater idiot? How would the jihadist even know of this if it wasn't for the news agenices.

Granted it could've been a slow day when it was first picked up but surely journalists have the right to report the facts, not an obligation to report every single thing they see when it can snowball such as this.

Without media coverage it'd've been a couple of fools burning as easily re-printable bunch of paper in a field somewhere no one gives a shit about - but now?

Grenade

Why are US troops in danger?

Because they're involved in an illegal (the Congress has not issued a formal declaration of war, as required by the US Constitution) war in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Bring them all home and they won't be in danger anymore.

And the US First Amendment can breathe a sigh of relief that it's no longer being attacked from a range of people from the loony left (Sec'y of State Hilary Clinton) to the loony right (former AK governor Sarah Palin.)

Bronze badge
FAIL

Clinton? Left?

Now there's an entertaining concept.

WTF?

Re: Why are US troops in danger?

"Because they're involved in an illegal (the Congress has not issued a formal declaration of war, as required by the US Constitution) war in Afghanistan and Iraq."

So, had the Congress issued a formal declaration of war, the troops would be safe?

Riiiiight!

WTF?

check your facts

I believe you are incorrect. My apologies for not taking the time to educate you, but should you be so interested I am sure you will find that congress gave Bush (and any president after him, sweeping powers to respond to the 911 attack, that include waging military operations, and I don't believe there is duration set, so it should still apply to the current president.

Wise? most definitely not, but I believe you are wrong to say its an illegal war.

Further if the President declares it, he can use FEMA rules to enact Martial Law. We have lots of checks and balances, but our democracy is built on faith and belief as well. If a president (like Bush for example) were to grossly abuse their presidential power, everyone on both sides knows that there is NOTHING anyone can do to stop him, short of a revolution. As long as the TV stays on, and there is beer at the store people in the US are too weak and cowardly to get up in arms about anything other than immediate danger. If the president were to create concentration camps, or start killing people, we may just revolt, but otherwise, we would lie down and take it, (like we did for 8 years under Bush.) The president is in charge of the department of Justice, which Bush used to avoid serving justice to his own staff on repeated occasions.

This is why it is so critical that we have a man of solid moral character, and some wisdom and intelligence in office - for all the titles we use he is at the very least a Temporary King of the US.

FAIL

No...

but the President could legitimately say that the Koran-burning increased the risks. Having troops there illegally (especially with the example of how the Afghans chewed through the Brits, just read some Kipling, and the Afghans bankrupting the USSR into nonexistence) threatens both the troops and the Republic.

FAIL

There was no declaration of war.

The Congress and the President both acted illegally.

And I have a degree in Political Science, in addition to my computer degrees, so, no, you don't have to educate me. Maybe you should educate yourself. Start with the United States Constitution.

Dead Vulture

Bye Bye Reg

Is The Reg still hosted by RackSpace? Better keep off the hate speech. Or we'll get shut down too!

*Insert anti-semetic comment here*

At Least He...

...is now including the Torah in his burn bag. Thats appropriate since the Torah and the Koran are derived from the same writings. Of course many of us are more familiar with this book as "The Old Testament."

Now if the Book of Mormon, The Twelve Steps, and other texts promoting various "Higher Powers" were added to the list, we could have an Equal Opportunity Bonfire.

Reg Readers aside, it seems most humanoids need religion to help them understand life. According to Isaac Asimov in his "Asimov's Chronology of Science & Discovery" (ISBN 0-06-015612-0,) the concept of something beyond life began about 200,000 BC.

Monotheism, had to wait for the development of writing (3500 BC) and the alphabet (1500 BC) before a proper sky fairy could emerge. The first known monotheistic religious writings were by Amenhotep IV, of Egypt, around 1375 BC. He wrote about the Sun-God Akehenaton, but was opposed by the Egyption Population, especially the Priesthood, and was thrown out of office, but his writings preserved these ideas, which about 150 years later were taken up by the slave leader Moses. (ibid.)

Since there were no books to burn, Amenhotep had soldiers smash statues and temples to the previous pantheon.

Apparently his website was also taken down.

Shushing the loonies.

Let the knob shoot himself in the foot, in full view of the public. It being the USA, I guess RackSpace are now open to lawsuits from the mouth foamer.

freedom of speech...

...is a us federal government commitment...rackspace (when last I checked, was not the us federal govt.) has its own speech rules. Good luck on suing...

Flame

I live in the wrong place.

I would truly love to hang around in front of his "church" with a few fire extinguishers all day.

Or maybe just burn a few bibles across the street.

Gav
Bronze badge
Thumb Down

Oh that's smart

"Or maybe just burn a few bibles across the street."

Yeah, cos upsetting all Christians is a logical protest about the actions of one non-representative nutter. Just like upsetting all Muslims is a logical protest about the actions of a few non-representative maniacs.

You are missing the common factor in all of this is. People. They're all people. It's people you need to be taking a stand against. You need to find some way of upsetting all people on the planet. That'll show them. Once this is done, it'll bring all people to their senses and peace and harmony will reign throughout the world. It's so simple and brilliant it can't fail!

I'm stuck for how you'd do this though. Perhaps setting fire to kittens?

Unhappy

missed one ...

You'd need to upset yourself to upset all the people on the planet, so after you kill the kitten you'll need to punch yourself in face,

Good luck

Pint

Tolerance? Wassat?

"His tiny church has already lost half of its 50-strong congregation in response to his stunt"

<ROTFLOL>

Well at least half of his "congregation" has half a brain.

Every time I see an article about one of these nutcases it reminds me why religion has no place in my life. They are all the same regardless of what "faith" they spout nonsense about.

As for Rackspace shutting down their website, who cares.

Probably had 300 hits total in the 5 years before this week.

"They are all the same"

Sounds like you've got the type of mindset the world needs more of. Open, accepting, tolerant.

Oh, wait. No you don't.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.