back to article Mozilla lights up joystick, tickles developer gaming bellies

Mozilla launched a new gaming project through its Labs wing earlier this week, in a move to get coders to play with fancy browser and web technologies. The Mozilla Labs Gaming experiment is all about making developers even more comfortable with web apps. "Modern Open Web technologies introduced a complete stack of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. xj25vm

Title

That's all very nice and good - and commendable. But I guess we will have to find somebody else who is actually interested in the browser, the email client and the calendaring application. Various bugs and features are lagging (some of them by years) because there aren't enough developers and resources to address them. But there is enough money for other initiatives.

Among others:

1. There is no solid option for a calendar server (or equivalent for sharing and syncronising) - which would handle hundreds of users and thousands of appointments.

2. There is no proper option for a contact server (capable of sharing and syncronising not only with computers, but also with smarphones of various descriptions).

3. The calendar doesn't handle all that great once you get past 1000 appointments.

I know, all of the above is so '90s - but it is truly useful stuff in the enterprise and beyond. For good or for worse, Exchange + Outlook does it - and I wish there was a bit stronger competition from open source. Users access their email, calendars and contacts on a myriad of platforms - and serious push to define standards (except email - imap is well mature by now) here and to have a set of solid server-side software would mean serious progress for open source in the business and organisational space.

(Disclaimer: I do use Thunderbird + Lightning + SyncKolab + exim + dovecot in small company setups - but serious work still needs doing on the contacts and calendar side)

1. LawLessLessLaw
      Boffin

Couldn't agree more - re contacts & calendar

Even in TBird 3 the adress book is much the same as Outlook Express circa 1995 albeit with better search.

This topic is closed for new posts.