back to article HP Pavilion dv6-3085ea 15.6in notebook

Those who want their notebook PCs to play music and video while managing a burgeoning digital image collection should cast an eye at the HP Pavilion dv6-3085ea. It's an attractively slim computer with a design outline that's generally reminiscent of Apple's MacBook Pro. The clamshell even stays closed thanks to Apple-style …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Headmaster

"HP Quickview" ... "a mini HP operating system"

I think you'll find it's a commercial flavour of a Linux subset, which its providers (DeviceVM) call Splashtop, and its customers (PC builders) call a variety of different things to emphasise that it's unique to them. Which of course it isn't.

2. David Gosnell

"10W in Hibernate mode"

That must be one mightily complicated power button to monitor for pressing.

I'd also have expected higher screen resolution on an £800 machine. I've used a 15.6" laptop at 1366x768 and it went back the next day. Shame 15.4" models are virtually unavailable these days - those extra 32 pixels make a surprising difference at the cheap end of the market.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

"Everyone would secretly prefer a notebook over a desktop computer"

That's everyone except me, then.

4. BristolBachelor Gold badge

Screen, trackpad, instant on

Yes, the screen is quite nice - but only if you are viewing it exactly right, and also move yourself and the screen to avoid reflections of the room around you (or even your own face!). I'm not a fan of it at all.

The trackpad also has a major flaw for my liking. I normally have to keep a finger on the button when using a track-pad, but if you do that with this one, it keeps thinking that the finger you are using to move the pointer is somewhere else. It happens totally at random and I can't express in pleasant words how I feel about it. Thankfully I normally use a mouse.

Quick start is excellent for occasional use. A word of warning however. When it says that does email, it does not. It just does web but with an email icon for webmail. It does not support pop3 or IMAP4.

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

the devil is in the details

"dropping to 10W in Hibernate mode".

Are you sure? Hibernate means save state to disk and power off. Why would it be using 10W when switched off?

And what sort of screen does this laptop have? Is it the usual lo-res glossy crap, or are they offering something that might warrant the high price?

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Re: Fashion

"I confidently predict that in a few years we'll look back at this fad with some embarrassment."

Ah but HP have thought about this already! Their laptops are purposely built not to last a day longer than the current transient fad.

7. Robert E A Harvey

whole bunch of them

The HP web site appears to have a whole bunch of these so perhaps it is possible to buy one without the fingerprint gadget. I can't make head nor sense of all the model numbers and processor types. Life is too short for all these arcane non-sequential type numbers.

the 3085 and 3065 appear to have identical specs but are fifty quid different in price. What is this, bait and switch?

8. jason 7
    WTF?

Textures?

I'll take textures over fingerprint grease loving high gloss any day.

God I hate high gloss.

9. Paul Crawford Silver badge
    Linux

Expensive toy?

Must say its a lot of money for a laptop that seems to have no *useful* advantage over the competition. Fingerprint reader on a home laptop, in particular when it seems so easy to bypass? WTF? At that price point, going for Apple to avoid Joe Average's typical issues with Windows' security makes sense.

Just got myself a Novatech Xplora E16 which offers a decent 15.6" screen, and NO OPERATING SYSTEM as choice, for about a tenner over 1/3 of the HP's cost!

OK, the AMD dual core CPU is not fantastically powerful, and battery life is distinctly average, but if you want a good screen size and plan of using Linux, it is a great choice!

Tux, as my new laptop loves him/her.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like