Fast filer supplier BlueArc is going to embed Permabit's Albireo deduplication software into its products, enabling more data to be stored in the same disk capacity. BlueArc's Titan and Mercury filers use hardware acceleration to deliver faster access to data. Permabit has developed its Albireo software to deduplicate data …
Sr Director Storage Product Marketing
I can't really go along with your statement that: "With Ocarina having just been bought by Dell it's likely that Permabit now has the OEM supply field for deduplication software to itself." Our Exar BitWackr is primarily software assisted by a specialized ASIC that virtually eliminates latency in deduplication. Latency is the enemy of deduplication performance and is what keeps the technology out of the primary data path - with BitWackr as the sole exception. Exar is, indeed, an OEM supplier and we have a number of evaluations currently underway. So to rephrase your comment: "With Ocarina having just been bought by Dell it's likely that Permabit and Exar that now have the OEM supply field for deduplication software to themselves"
- Boffins attempt to prove the UNIVERSE IS JUST A HOLOGRAM
- China building SUPERSONIC SUBMARINE that travels in a BUBBLE
- Review Raspberry Pi B+: PHWOAR, get a load of those pins
- Experimental hypersonic SUPERMISSILE destroyed 4 SECONDS after US launched it
- That 8TB Seagate MONSTER? It's HERE... (You'll have to squint, 'cos there are no specs)