back to article Fennec squeezes into Android users' pockets

Mozilla has pushed out another alpha version of Firefox for mobile phones, Fennec, and it's inviting Android, and N900, users to have a shot with the little fox. Fennec is the working title for the mobile version of Firefox, incorporating the irritatingly-named "Awesome Bar" and synchronising in real time with its bigger …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Martin Lyne

Can't

Can't find an Android version. Just Maemo. Amidoinitrite?

1. Anonymous John

It's here.

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Platforms/Android

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Android will rule

Since Apple is dying. My kids will grow up and say what's a Macintosh computer?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

rilly??

Apple is dying? Gee, Sun should buy them. Or SGI. That'd be sooo cool!!1

2. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

dying apple

Sun should totally buy apple. Or SGI should buy them. That'd be totally the coolest!!1

3. Tom Maddox Silver badge
    Stop

In before the Opera fanboys

Blah blah blah Opera did it first etc.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Actual Android link forgotten by all

http://moff.mozilla.com/latest-alpha/android-r7/fennec.apk

5. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Actual Android link forgotten by all

http://moff.mozilla.com/latest-alpha/android-r7/fennec.apk

Update: doesn't work

6. NX1977
    Alert

Does my browser look big in this?

Is it still a 30mb download?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

here's hoping...

... it doesn't have the memory hogging "feature" of its older brother.

8. Miek
    FAIL

It's here

http://blog.mozilla.com/blog/2010/08/27/fennec-alpha-released-for-android-and-nokia-n900/

Mozilla have provided a nice handy "fennec.install" file that doesn't seem to work with android.

9. jamesrhamilton
    Thumb Up

Fair play

It's a fair old idea. I'd use Opera Mini on my iPhone all the time if it'd sync in real time to my netbook browser.

10. My New Handle
    Thumb Up

Buggy as hell ...

Its a good preview but does seem a bit buggy in places. Lots of freezes on offer. But all the same, as a functional demo it is worth a look.

Don't forget to save to SD - its 22.4MB in size! Makes Adobe Flash seem almost sylph-like.

11. HFoster
    Thumb Down

ARM v5/v6 version

Didn't play too nicely with my Hero. Crashed trying to load Facebook mobile page and Google standard page.

I'm sticking with the standard Android browser for now.

12. apleszko

Huge space eater...

I had to uninstall it right away... it consumes more than 30Mb of my HTC Desire app space even after moving it to the SD.

This app space is a known limitation for Android and specially HTC Desire (providing you haven't rooted your phone), so Mozilla should worry at least a bit about moving most of the files to the SD card. Most won't be willing to spend 30Mb of their app space if their included browser does the job, even if Fennec does it a little better.

13. Greg J Preece

N900?

Errr....why would you want to port a mobile version of Firefox to a phone that already has both Firefox and WebM (Mozilla)?

14. Greg J Preece

Doh, not WebM

That other one. MicroB, that's it.

15. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

awesome bar

Another reason to NOT use this browser.

16. Skydreamer
    Unhappy

Not too good on Galaxy S yet

Installs and initially looks okay on the Samsung Galaxy S, but zooming, links, and some necessary (for me) company portal pages don't work. This last one is a pity because the built-in browser also doesn't work on our corporate portal...

But here's hoping.

17. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

and why would I use this?

When I have a perfectly good Opera Mini?

18. Ben Rosenthal

excellent

I really hated Opera Mini

19. Scott A. Brown

Dolphin Browser

I've been using the free version of Dolphin browser for the past few weeks and think it's pretty good. Syncs into Delicious bookmarks which is handy (if you use it) and has the 'awesome bar' (if you must call it that) so you can search, get URLs from history and enter URLs all in one.

Not as quick to load as the default though.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like