Feeds

back to article HDS exec launches vicious attack on IBM storage exec

A senior Hitachi Data Systems executive has launched an extraordinarily aggressive attack on IBM Fellow Moshe Yanai, the inventor of EMC's Symmetrix platform and pioneer of XIV and Diligent, both companies which IBM bought. Yanai has been working for IBM, as an IBM Fellow, since the XIV purchase. However, there have been …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

Moshe is neither egotistical, greedy or arrogant.

I have spent some time with Moshe and he is neither egotistical, greedy or arrogant. Moshe is Isralei and by nature is agressive in business and support of his product, which is why many Israli companies are so successful. Individuals without understanding of Israli business culture might view this as egotistic or arrogant. Moshe is proud of his product, and well should be as it is truely game changing. I can certainly see his issue with Clariion and Symmetrix, both being long in the tooth with years of code piled on top of one another and designs that are over 10 years old that still have some of the flaws from when they were originally conceived. I can also see his issue with IBM not making his product more mainstreem and still treating it like a red headed stepchild. This is really due to IBM's "not invented here" scatoma where products aquisitioned or oursourced never get the support of IBM developed product. Again I could see Moshe's issue with that when technically, he has a product that could technically displace the entire IBM disk portfolio if they wanted to use it in that manner. Sounds like sour grapes from the HDS executive to me. What has Pete Gerr invented lately?

Anonymous Coward

HDS is growing mold and XIV is growing wings...

HDS needs to say anything they can to stem the bleeding. XIV is the fastest growing enterprise storage platform on the planet...just check IDC or any other third-party source.

Headmaster

These are not synonyms

"Gerr is not an uninterested or neutral observer and is fighting for HDS's products here."

This is a rare example I have seen in print where it is correct to use "disinterested" (i.e. impartial) but "uninterested" (not bothered) has been used instead. It is more common to see "disinterested" being incorrectly used when "not interested"/"uninterested" is meant.

A judge should be disinterested but not uninterested.

I was mildly interested in the storage bunfight before I got distracted by this sentence in the penultimate paragraph. There are probably a few synonyms for "sad fuck".

Troll

Is it just me...

Is it just me or does the first 3 comments all read like they were written by the same person, and that person is the person whom is the subject of the article....

El Reg needs to add an AC identifier on the comments section, so we can know if its the same AC posting comments. Make it thread specific, each time someone posts as AC they get a number by their AC title, only for that article. ie the first AC to post becomes AC-1 the next is AC-2and so on, the if the first AC posts again, his comment is marked with AC-1

Anonymous Coward

A.C

"I have spent some time with Moshe and he is neither egotistical, greedy or arrogant. Moshe is Isralei and by nature is agressive in business and support of his product, which is why many Israli companies are so successful. Individuals without understanding of Israli business culture might view this as egotistic or arrogant."

I try to post this again. Why do say this? Do you really consider "Israelis agressive by nature"??? Do you have any evidence at all, or what have you smoked???

Moshe

Also having worked with Moshe during his tenure at EMC, I would describe him (and his team of engineers) as egotistical and arrogant, but not greedy. In view of his success and drive, I find it difficult to understand why anyone at EMC would have wanted it any other way.

Without ego, without arrogance, EMC would still be selling AS400 storage and IBM memory boards.

A cheer from Hopkington when Moshe left the building? I think not.

This topic is closed for new posts.