back to article Adobe sucks up to Oracle over FOSS boss gripes

Adobe has distanced itself from less-than-pretty comments made against Oracle by the Flash and Photoshop vendor’s open source boss. As we reported earlier this week, Adobe’s open source and standards director David McAllister couldn’t resist hitting out at Larry Ellison’s firm, which earlier this year bought Sun Microsystems …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Rogerborg

Let's see, a "director" doesn't represent Adobe

But some low grade twitter-twink does, simply by dint of saying that they do? I seeeeeee...

2. Anomalous Cowturd
    FAIL

Sorry Kelly, but that was completely un-called for!

> Perhaps, in light of all that, Adobe should ask McAllister to join some miners in Chile to help keep his trap shut until Christmas.

Speaking as a former tunneler, and current member of the human race, I find that comment highly offensive, and completely unnecessary given the context of the article.

Were it not for the type of men, (yes, men. Not people. Not workers. Not women!) currently trapped God knows how far underground in Chile, mankind would not have had its "Industrial revolution", and all the current trappings of modern life would be pipe dreams. You and I would most likely be tending our fields and flocks, and dying at 40 of TB or small-pox or something similarly unpleasant.

Big FAIL on you, for the sake of a "Witty one liner". Not impressed. Resisting the urge to spell out what I really think of you for that cheap shot...

1. some-reg-reader
      FAIL

Re: Sorry Kelly, but that was completely un-called for!

+1.

That comment was vulgar in light of the current situation.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Grenade

To: Anonymous Cowturd

Lighten up Francis.

3. K. Adams
    Paris Hilton

Lip Service...

> "... like Microsoft, arguably pays only lip service to the open source cause."

Let's be fair: While it may be true that one side of Microsoft is a capital-oriented, patent-wielding, operating system/office suite/search/advertising company, the other side of Microsoft (the fluffy, warm-fuzzies side) does contribute quite a bit to the FLOSS community, if one looks beyond contributed lines of code. **

This is especially true where Hyper-V is concerned, because Microsoft got caught with its pants down over virtualisation, and needs to "play nice" with the other kids in the sandbox if it wants to catch up.

This corporate schizophrenia is being brought about by its efforts to remain relevant in a highly mobile world, where chaining people to desks and providing them with a word processor and spreadsheet application isn't enough to get the job done any more.

So while Microsoft is undoubtedly embracing (to use the word loosely) Open Source as a means to further its own ends -- not to mention its continued existence -- I would say the company is paying a lot more than mere "lip service" to the cause.

**Disclaimer: I'm an avid GNU/Linux/FLOSS fan, and normally eschew MS products. Even so, I can still find legitimate value in a select portion of its product offerings (and no, Xbox/Xbox 360 don't count), and have been known to support the company on occasion.

(Paris, because we all know about her lip-service skills, now, don't we...?)

4. gimbal
    Pint

In other words...

Adobe is wholly open to the prospect of licking the buttocks of such a company as Oracle, and they'll take that direction if they feel it suits their bottom line. My, how conventional.

A beer for the brave man with the FOSS tankard.

This topic is closed for new posts.