back to article BBC adopts El Reg units

We're delighted to announce that the Beeb appears to have got with the programme and adopted official El Reg units. In this report on the "lake that has formed under a glacier on Mont Blanc, and threatens to flood the St Gervais valley", the Corporation quantifies the potentially-deadly body of water as apparently containing " …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You must have scary lawyers

Because it's now back to cubic metres.

1. Florence

Check out the photo caption

Olympic swimming pool units still used.

And if they had changed anything because of El Reg, surely they would've added something to the picture description?

2. Daniel B.
      Happy

Looking at the wrong place

It's on the first picture's footnote. :)

2. F111F
    Megaphone

What's Next...

scientists using "boffin" as their official title? Everyone talking in alliteration sub-titles? Oh, the humanity...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Is it just me...

...or is 26 Olympic-sized swimming pools just not that impressive on a 'flood the valley' scale? I mean, OK, pools are big if you want to install them, but they're gonna be a hell of a lot less impressive when you pour them out over a *whole valley*. You ever have one of those kiddie pools in your yard? Looks pretty impressive until you tip the thing over and it goes, "Goosh!" into about 20 square feet of yard and disappears in 2 seconds.

Call me when it's 260 Olympic-sized swimming pools.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Congratulations on your new role as a tax-payer funded quango...

The value for money I get from ElReg easily beats most of the UK content on BBC3/4....

5. Tigra 07

What about this?

What's that volume in baked beans?

Heinz ones preferrably

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What's that volume in baked beans?

Depends whether the beans are in the solid or gaseous phase.

6. Gangsta
    Welcome

I for one welcome

I for one welcome our new El Reg measuring overlords.

7. Juan Inamillion
    Thumb Up

Fantastic

What a lovely finish to a wet Wednesday!

8. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse
    Thumb Up

El Reg to the rescue...

Thanks for the refresher on the El Reg standardized conversion system as I'd not seen it for a while. I'm just about to build a new kitchen and was getting worried that I'd have to revert to a more obscure unit of measurement such as the millimeter.

1. Adrian Challinor
      Happy

I do recall

my time in GEC, when we issued one report with the time as MicroFortnights and the distances in MilliFurlongs.

But yes, it is good to recal the el Reg units.

9. Scott Broukell
    Stop

Bottle it !

I'm surprised nobody has thought of bottling all that lovely fresh French glacier melt-water - ow envigorateeng, ow sparkleeng, eet gives you weengs you know!

10. /dev/me
    Coat

As a point of order

It's hard to picture in your mind the 65000 cubic metres of water as a 65x100x10 metre basin, as it's such an inconceivably abstract rule of measurement.

On the other hand, for geeks like us 112,984,512 Bulgarian airbags are equally abstract. It becomes much more concrete if you think of it in terms of 56,492,256 distracted Reg readers.

Mine is the one with 'The Joy of Sex' in the pocket, in case I would ever need a manual... o

11. peter 45
    Headmaster

26 pools flood a valley?

So it only takes 26 olympic swimming pools to flood a valley does it?

Volume of water in olympic swimming pool = 2,500 m3

Volume in 26 pools = 62500 m3

Area of valley of valley (random guess of really small valley 100 acres) = 100 * 4 047 m2 = 404700m2

Depth of flood = 62500/404700 = 15 cm. Raging torrent then!

Or does someone not know the difference between meters cubed and cubic meters? Back to school for you.

12. Chad H.
    IT Angle

Wales

But how big is it in Wales'?

13. Lee Thirteen
    Pint

Next you'll be reporting on....

a BBC Big Fact Hunt.

I'll drink to that :-D

14. AlistairJ
    Unhappy

That's all very well

If you actually have an Olympic sized swimming pool in your impoverished borough. Most of us have never seen one.

15. The Indomitable Gall
    Pint

Stuff the measurements...

Stuff the measurements, what I want to know is are they just going to throw this water away or are they going to do the sensible thing and bottle it for sale to rich mugs in posh restaurants at an ridiculous rate?

With glaciers now being something of an endangered species, it'd go down a bomb!

<-- Cos I'd rather have one of these to a similar quantity of Glacial meltwater...

1. Stratman

title

Ever wondered why poncy mineral water is so expensive?

Spell 'Evian' backwards.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

this

is how you report indisputable evidence of global warming. Huh!

1. asiaseen

Global warning indeed

"it was a cold snap that was thought to have frozen the natural drainage routes"

17. Paul Naylor
    Alert

What?

The BBC nicking someone's idea and passing it off as their own? Never!

</sarcasm>

18. handle

Prior art?

This one:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/guides/456900/456932/html/nn3page1.stm

containing "The Drigg store currently contains 960,000 cubic metres - equivalent to 384 Olympic swimming pools - of waste."

is from 25th November 2006, according to Google.

19. JaitcH
    WTF?

Dumb equivalents

What is an Olympic sized swimming pool?

Expressed in gallons or litres it's pretty meaningless, which also applies to cubic yards or metres to a lesser extent..

Best, I think, would be to describe a three dimension volume.

Three hundred Eiffel Towers stacked one on top of the other is another dumb representation.

1. scrubber
      Thumb Up

Agreed

Three Eiffel Towers stacked on top of one another are only slightly taller than one Eiffel Tower.

They were designed to be nested.

Apparently.

20. David 30

@ david w & peter 45

Except it's not going to just magically arrange itself tidily at an even level right throughout the valley, is it? It's going to come surging down *through* the valley. Likely taking trees, people's houses, unfortunate engineers, etc with it. Frankly, if I saw 26 swimming pools worth of water *coming right at me*, I reckon it'd scare the bejesus out of me.

1. TeeCee Gold badge

@David 30

"...if I saw 26 swimming pools worth of water *coming right at me*..."

You write that and mean "flood". I read that and think: "Hmmm, all we need here is a really, really big race track and 26 motorised Olympic-sized swimming pools and we have ourselves a new sport".

21. Charlie van Becelaere
    Thumb Up

See body for title information

Huzzah!

22. Steve X

Never mind the quantity, feel the impact

I think the problem here is not so much the total flood, but he effect of being hit by 26 olympic swimming pools of water in one go.

What's the El Reg equivalent of the Richter scale? I'm trying to think of something involving Dawn French impacting on something, but that just makes my brain curdle.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Breathtaking

"a breathtaking 112,984,512 Bulgarian airbags"

Presumably 56,492,256 pairs.

Even allowing for the beer-goggles affect, that would be somewhere in the region of 25,000,000 'supplementary restraint systems'.

Truly staggering party that would be!

Although I must confess that I wouldn't know where to look

first

;-)

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It means about as much to me...

It means about as much to me as saying that an Olympic Swimming Pool contains 1/26 of an Mont Blanc under-glacial lake

25. Fred Flintstone Gold badge
    Joke

What I don't get..

..is what precision is applied to the measurement of "Olympic swimming pools" exist.

An Olympic swimming pool is water, plus the whole bricks-and-tiles thing to contain that water , pumps, filters, large container with chemicals., high chair to see the swimmers better, diving boards. You take all that together and the shape of it is actually quite awkward as a measurement..

/pedant

1. Paul 4

All that

And life guards, swimmers, lane dividers, receptionists, changing rooms and the childrens pool (Hopefully without children as it will probably not flood until after the school holidays). Imagine that flooding your valley. The will be rubber rings and swimming caps all over the place. It'll make a right mess.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

I believe it is a criminal offence...

To measure anything in Olympic or Paralympic units without obtaining an official IOC licence, which is done through a complex ritual involving dispatching gold frankinsense and myrrh (but especially gold) to the four corners of the world and swearing eternal secrecy on Lord Coe's ring.

27. RockBurner

This linguine standard....

I want confirmation on this: is that "cooked" or "uncooked" linguine?

28. Jerry
    WTF?

BBC is out by a factor of 10^11

The ever reliable Wackypedia reports on the last flood from said glacier as:

"In 1892 a GLOF released some 200,000 km3 (2.6×1014 cu yd) of water from the lake of the Glacier de Tête Rousse, resulting in the deaths of 200 people in the French town of Saint Gervais.[12] GLOFs have been known to occur in every region of the world where glaciers are located. Continued glacier retreat is expected to create and expand glacial lakes, increasing the danger of future GLOFs."

So please write to the Beeb and advise them of their minor error.

29. Him over there ↗
    Thumb Up

A new reference spotted here...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/guides/456900/456994/html/

"North Korea occupies some 120,540 square kilometres of land - an area roughly five times the size of Wales"

Excellent stuff!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like