back to article McAfee re-issues fake visa waiver virus warning

Proving there's not much new under the sun, McAfee is warning travellers to the US to be aware of the danger of fake visa waiver websites. Travellers from 36 countries now need to apply online for a visa waiver when travelling to the US. Because this is not something anyone will do often - the free pass lasts for two years - …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. NightFox
    Black Helicopters

Not too smart

Hmmm... have to say if I was setting up a malware/scam/phishing site, I'm not sure that I'd chose anything that might involve the US Immigration Service.

Mine's the orange boiler suit.

2. Steven Knox
    Happy

Convincing

"In fact it's far more convincing than the official ESTA website, which has a design provided by a seven-year-old and the user functionality of a frightened horse."

Actually, those two qualities are usually what convince me I AM on an official US.gov web site...

3. Anonymous John

Re The real Esta site is here

The web address needs shortening. It gives a warning that your session has expired.

1. James O'Shea

not the address

I've seen _much_ longer URIs. It's the JavaScript on the site. Someone did something incredibly silly with it.

4. Loyal Commenter Silver badge
    Coat

Of course Angelina Jolie is missing

If she dies, she just re-spawns back at the last save point.

1. beli bouton
      Alien

Of course Angelina Jolie is missing

Angelina Jolie will never die.

Only you humans die.

5. Gav
    Thumb Up

Quote of the week

"the user functionality of a frightened horse."

Favourite quote of the week. I can think of more than a few websites I have to deal with that it applies to.

I intend to use this phrase frequently for now on.

6. James O'Shea
    IT Angle

It's worse than that

I went to have a look at the allegedly real ESTA site. It took about 30 seconds to load... and promptly displayed a message stating that my 'session' had timed out. (Safari 5, OS X) The page loaded somewhat faster in FireFox 3.6 on OS X, but was just as prompt in telling me that my session had timed out. Opera 10.6 on OS X was faster still... and even faster to time out. I was now starting to wonder exactly what kind of idiocy was on that page. MSIE 5.2.3 on OS X was up next, that being the last (the very, very, VERY last) version of MSIE for Mac... (and El Reg looks really funky in it, too) and, lo! the ESTA site takes a _very_ long time to load, and then times out _immediately_. Hmm. Next up, Firefox 3.6 on Win7... slower to load than on Mac, just as quick to time out. Even MSIE 8 on Windows exhibits the same behaviour... It wasn't a seven-year-old who built that site, it was a four-year-old. And he used a box a box of crayons tied to the tail of a blind squirrel.

IT? icon 'cause no-one remotely connected with the IT business went near that site while it was being built. At least I hope no-one got paid for perpetuating that, that, that... thing.

7. JAK 1
    Stop

the reg link is timing out

this link doesn't

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/esta.html

just remove the kak at the end....

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The realy story is...

That even the Reg is looking for stories, even if they're stories about non-stories.

9. Graham Marsden
    Coat

Alternatively...

... just don't bother visiting the Land of the Fee!

10. Lghost
    Paris Hilton

box of crayons

it only times out on the first time with opera ..

hit refresh and it loves ya ..

( though why anyone would want to mix cookies and javascript that way deliberately ..

presuming that they told their boss that is was deliberate ..or didn't know better ..or never tested it away from the "home dev' box" )

re the design ..

Unfortunately see(ing) much, much worse very day ..:-((

slap adsense code on it and it'll probably make a fortune ..fugly is good for CTR ..Nielson knows..to judge by his cover ..

The ESTA page ( and Nielson's ) should come with a notice "warning ..this page may give you styes !"

Something "unexpected" appears to have given Paris an eye problem

This topic is closed for new posts.