back to article Sony can detect PS3 mod chip dongle use

Reports are coming in that Sony can detect use of the PS Jailbreak USB dongle when a console that's using the device is connected to the PlayStation Network. The PS Jailbreak dongle is claimed to allow PS3 owners to rip games to external hard drives from where the titles can subsequently be loaded and played without the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John Sanders
    Alert

Cool

As soon as I had notice that there is a PS3 hack I started to consider buying a PS3!

As soon as I read that Sony plans to screw with it I stopped considering buying one.

Having a look at my shelve I can count at least 20 PS2 originals plus some 50-60 "backups", most of the originals are still wrapped, I bought them after playing the backup.

So, one pirate user = one console sold plus 20 original games. One less XBOX 360 user buying XBOX games. The reality of the console market for most people is that, to have an XBOX for the sole reason that it can play backups thanks to MS making the same mistake* again and again on the DVD firmware (*of course MS conveniently always forget to fix it).

In fact: considering how well designed is the security on the PS3, I would like to know exactly how it is possible to make a regular unit run as a debug unit just pressing the eject button, and having some USB thingie on the USB port.

If it is Sony's fault (a hole) it is a vuln the size of the Blackwall tunnel, unless the functionality was there from the start, which worries me a lot.

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

What moron would buy one of these?

LOL, I can imagine the support... "Sony have blocked it, can I get my $150 back", NO, go away

"My PSN account and console has been permenently banned from online play, can you fix it", NO, go away.

Really you would have to be a moron to buy/use one of these. Stop being freetards and BUY games. £40 for 20 hours gameplay is incredible value for money.

3. Stuart Archer

Comments

119 posts against the Apple jailbreak artice. 1 against this. Personally, i don't see this as being a significantly different business practice, so it still amuses me the amount of righteous anger directed towards Apple when all corporations are essentially the same!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

@Stuart Archer

Not the same at all. Whilst some kids will try and hide behind OtherOS and "backups", the ONLY reason for buying one of these is freetard piracy.

The Jailbreak iPhone is different, it allows what Android users have by default, a Open and unrestricted enviroment.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

No..

YOUR only reason might be to play backups or to stand there preaching as to how YOU feel this device should / will be used.

What about allowing users to downgrade their ps3's firmware so that they can still use linux AND play the latest movies and games.

Your forward thinking is as cloudy as you are.

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Sony are only hurting themselves

I pretty much stopped using my PS3 once Sony blocked Linux. My wife is using it as a DVD player. It is not likely that I will ever buy or even play another game on my PS3. The PS3 is really getting long in the tooth anyway. I forgot how much better a PC is for gaming (not to mention that on a PC, I can use 3d right now).

This topic is closed for new posts.