back to article Visa and BofA plot operatorless NFC

Bank of America and Visa will be running trials of NFC technology next month but the network operators won't be involved this time, as companies sidestep the traditional process. The trials will use NFC circuits built into MicroSD cards that can be slotted into a phone or a specially-equipped iPhone case to provide secure …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Big Brother

Its an interesting idea

but i can see them being funny about the MicroSD card storage and what you are allowed to do with it, so while the ownership is less of an issue the privacy brigade won't be happy.

Lastly who carries the cost, I got an 8GB standard SD Card and thats a nice amount so would they replace that with one of their own or what?

FAIL

One teeny weeny issue....

...where does my memory car go?

If they make a proper iPhone interface, it may sell rather well...

If they interface it with the iPhone rather than simpy sellotaping it on the back, then I expect people will buy it to use as an external storage module.

It might shut some of the iPhone haters up for about 10 seconds till they start "oh but I don't need an add on to read memory cards".

(I'm neither a fanboi or a hater. I own a iPhone 2G that runs both ios and android. An HTC hero and an iPhone 4. They all have highs and lows.)

WTF?

FFS, can we have this already?

Almost every CC fraud today is a replay attack, one time tokens will be the way to go...

@VoodooTrucker

Totally agree, I blame all the corporate stagnation on too much control and lack of competition. Manufacturers and operators have colluded to lock out independent innovation.

Years ago I read about all the cool things one could develop on a bluetooth enabled phone. I downloaded an SDK and was ecstatic about the possibilities as I ran the examples on a virtual phone. However it was when I tried to download it to a real phone that I discovered how nokia and at&t simply disabled major functionality of the phone for third party developers.

I can't help but think of all the innovation consumers have lost out on because of greedy corporate control via DRM, which one may observe has ever less to do with copyrights and more to do with ending user control. If today's culture was more open, as it was for the original PC, then secure payments via cell phones would already be available to the public.

Bronze badge

Who...?

"So these trials are a big deal for an industry struggling to work out who owns the phone you thought was yours"

*I* own my smartphone - bought it outright so I didn't have to deal with lock-ins and crappy operator-specific firmware "upgrades". AUD30 a month now covers all my calls and my data needs.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums