back to article Samsung bounces out Bada SDK version 1

Samsung has released version 1 of the Bada SDK, for all those developers who've been dying to develop for Bada but unwilling to run with the Beta release. It's hard to imagine that many people fall into that particularly category, but Samsung does remind us that entry to its Global Developer Challenge closes at the end of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

why?

When Android is a prefectly good platform, and Samsung are making great use of?

I'm assuming they had already spent a boatload of cash reinventing the wheel before they got to grips with Android, so they figured, "why not"....

It's a shame they didn't make it so that Bada sat ontop of Android, so you can run either Android or Bada apps.... That would have been a smarter move (although perhaps against Android terms of service).

Either way, I think Bada (and Ovi) is pretty much doomed to fall my the Android Marketplace wayside.

1. The Original Steve
      Pint

Agree

Seems pointless I agree.

I see the market in a year or two being iOS, Android and Windows Phone 7 for high-end smartphones, with Symbian and some other custom linux mopping up the low-end feature phones.

BlackBerry OS and Nokia's business focuses Symbian (E Series) doing the enterprise market. (If Nokia pull their finger out. There's a huge whole in the market for business-grade device with ActiveSync support built-in, full-encryption, non-focus on facebook etc.)

Not too sure if there will be room in the smartphone market for more than 3 or 4 platforms. Writting an app that needs to work on MeeGo, Android, WP7, iOS, Symbian and BlackBerry OS will be a bloody nightmare!!!

Three at the top end, one or two at the low end and a couple in the business niche would do nicely. Keeps competition going (which pushed innovation / costs) but not too many platforms to develop for.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Stop

There's Qt for that

Already works on Symbian, Windows, desktop Linux, Maemo/MeeGo, desktop MacOS... So hopefully soon it will cover most of the mobile OSes as well.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Bada could sit on Android

The platform has been developed to work on top of at least two separate kernels, one of which is the Linux kernel, so I'm sure they could lash it on top of Android. Whether Google would license them to ship with the Android Market is another question.

Bada is based on a sort of cut down C++ (in the sense that it adopts most of ye olde C-style idioms 'for performance', exceptions are notably missing and it comes with its own set of STL-avoiding string and collection classes for reasons I don't fully understand) and fully compiles its code prior to distribution.

I imagine they're assuming they can scale down to feature phones by not having either a JIT compiler (as per Google) or the costs of full dynamic dispatch (as per Apple) and relying on some limited or highly customised kernel. I don't really see it myself.

2. Robin@eyemags

Cheaper devices already in far east

Bill,

You say there is only one wave phone. This is true of this country, but the cheaper wave2 devices have been released in the far east and Russia. I am sure there is more to come as as the developer event in London they said they expected to sell 40M bada handsets by the end of the year. Given in the 1st month they got to 1M, I am sure they are lots of more handsets to be released.

3. dotdavid
    FAIL

Bada than Android

I had a play with one of those Samsung Waves. Couldn't really see the point of it. As you say, it costs as much as an Android handset, but doesn't have an eighth of the apps and doesn't do anything Android can't. In fact the only reason for its' existance I can think of is that Samsung control the app store and hence can get some revenues from it, assuming anyone bothers to develop apps for it. Benefit though this is to Samsung, I don't see how it improves the lives of anyone else.

Samsung's repeated "Buy into Bada! Please! We make money off this platform unlike Android so it's well worth you helping us by developing apps!" pleas do tend to grate a bit.

1. Sentient

Costs as much?! Euhm?

I bought and now enjoy a samsung wave because the galaxy was quite a bit more expensive.

True, I bought the phone for the hardware, fast CPU, excellent audio, 720p video and a SAMOLED screen and not for all the apps. It's true there are not a lot off great apps for it but then again I didn't see anything must have in the android app store either

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Don't underestimate "regionalism"

I can see why some Korean (even perhaps Chinese as well) developers would choose to develop for Bada instead of "American" Android...

4. Charlie Clark Silver badge
    Pint

Who knows?

I'm a very happy owner of a Wave but given its spec I'm not sure if the claim of an OS for "feature phone" hardware really rings true.

OTOH given the number of devices sold and the steadily increasing number of useful apps and widgets (usually multi-platform), it's obvious that the hardware is getting some attention. T-Mobile, E-Plus and Vodafone are all heavily promoting the Wave here in Germany, T-Mobile are even using it to promote their live, mobile streaming of football matches and the screen really is fantastic.

I guess it's obviously very difficult to gauge the take up in the far East while we Europeans and Americans are slobbering all over the latest Google and Appleware.

5. borkbork
    Unhappy

I'll take a Wave, with android thanks

I like the hardware, it seems like very good value for money. But their app-store policy bans VOIP apps, and I need a phone with a SIP client. Galaxy S is a bit big and expensive. This, or the LG GD880 mini would be perfect for what I want, if not for the OS in both cases.

6. Robot
    IT Angle

I gave up trying to get the Bada guide

I put in an honest effort to get the three-part documentation on Bada, but the Wiley website could never deliver the pdf files to me (it hangs both Opera and IE). I have given up on Bada.

7. leema

unlock

It's a nice sharing.

I want to share my mobile unlocking experience.

I unlock my Samsung mobile from the site http://www.theunlockarena.com/

It has the best unlocking solutions.......................

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like