The WiMAX forum has again announced that its version 2 specification will be available later this year, as it seems no-one was listening last time around. The fact that the standard, technically 802.16m, would be finished this year was announced in January, and in April the WiMAX Forum said the specification would be ready on …
Needs 100MHz channels and perfect signal. Not likely on any existing Mobile WiMax. or possibly ever on Mobile as a reasonable "cell" based system needs 3 channels and ideally 9. Getting 300MHz spectrum is likely only in Line Of Sight part of Microwave spectrum. Thus outdoor fixed aerials and dishes.
Might be good for big dish backhauls?
We use WiMax at work. Or at least, we tried to. I think we have one or two connection left. I swapped out one of the last yesterday for an ADSL broadband line, because of the poor quality and low speed of the WiMax connection. This was at a site about half a mile from the aerial.
I think WiMax performance varies greatly depending on typical atmospheric conditions and surrounding buildings. It's all very well defining new communication standards, but will that help it broadcast through a load of tower blocks?
Fat lady singing
Give it up already.
- Top Gear Tigers and Bingo Boilers: Farewell then, Phones4U
- Breaking Fad 4K-ing excellent TV is on its way ... in its own sweet time, natch
- Updated iOS 8 Healthkit gets a bug SO Apple KILLS it. That's real healthcare!
- First Irish boy band U2. Now Apple pushes ANOTHER thing into iPhones, iPods, iPads
- Stephen Pie iPhone 6: Most exquisite MOBILE? NO, it's the Most Exquisite THING. EVER