back to article Google seeks UK privacy lobbyist

Are you a privacy lawyer? Would you take pride in working for a company with "a real soul"? Is your brain impervious to cognitive dissonance? Could you grow a brass neck? If you answered "yes!" to all of the above questions then Google has the job for you. "Google's innovative services raise challenging legal questions that …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Happy

I know somewhere they could look

They could look at Phorm's PR team, lobbyists, directors, etc. Surely the whole lot of them will be looking for other rewarding activities in a few days, once the most recent round of venture capital finance runs out yet again.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07/07/phorm_shares/

That'll be 20% of first year comp as an agent's fee, please.

Glad to be of service.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Silver badge
Big Brother

Quite

"Google, in fact, is playing a leadership role in the discussion and evolution of Internet privacy policies"

By doing whatever they feel like anyway and then backtracking later (or being seen to backtrack)... a little.

Stop

Do no evil

I don't suppose they'd consider for even a minute simply innovating some services that DON'T raise challenging legal questions.

Gold badge

@AC

Okay: it's late, and I really should be writing an article instead of responding to comments...but I'll bit on this one.

Aren’t all new services, products, business methods or what-have-you generally met with some fierce resistance somewhere and then covered in lawsuits of one variety or another? I’m not defending Google here – after the Googizon debacle they’ve lost my trust forever – but I am having trouble coming up with any remotely popular service or product in the past fifteen years or so that wasn’t covered in lawsuits.

I’d love to be wrong on this, and I whole heartedly admin that it could be a failure of imagination and/or memory on my part…but /CAN/ be innovated that would be both popular and not controversial? (Or alternately: has been innovated in the last 15 years or so and been both popular and not controversial.)

Enquiring minds want to know…

@Trevor_Pott

First of all, lets consider that we are talking not about *controversy*, but *legal challenges*. It's a fine but important distinction.

Then, think about human technological progress throughout the centuries, or maybe even think about the last few decades and name any other new service that opened up to legal challenges (not just controversy in its execution, but actually treading on legal gray areas). Sure, there's been a few, such as, say, assisted suicide, abortion, private investigation, cyber-security consultancy; but there have been *plenty* of innovative services that raise no such questions: telephone service, personal computing, shoe shining, electronic commerce, to name a few. All of these have been quite popular.

Google has not encountered legal challenges because it is innovating, but because they *choose* to. Their business model depends on the aggregation and sale of consumer behavioural information, and that particular endeavor is riddled with challenges, both legal and moral.

-dZ.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums