back to article NASA 'nauts wrap ISS pump job

Spacewalkers Tracy Caldwell Dyson and Doug Wheelock have successfully installed a new ammonia pump module to replace the one which failed on 31 July, taking out half of the International Space Stations's cooling system. Tracy Caldwell Dyson (left) and Doug Wheelock during today's spacewalk. Pic: NASA TV Caldwell Dyson (seen …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Sureo
    Happy

astronaut rate

Let's see, that's about 23 hours for two workers or 46 man hours. At the rate my plumber charges that would be $4600 plus parts. But I suppose the astronaut rate is a bit higher?

1. Steve Roper

I would imagine

that it's astronomical.

2. Annihilator
      Joke

re: astronaut rate

Well, the call out charge is currently about $450m. But you usually get about 6 of them for that price, so it's not too bad.

3. Andus McCoatover

Bet NASA pays cash..

Plumber-speak: "Saves on the VAT, Squire"

4. Steve 48
      Boffin

But

Much higher, you forgot to include working on a Sunday - another 2x$500 and most importantly the call out charge - $1.3 billion, but since they were in the area you get a bit of a discount - call it $600 million. Tell you what - make it a nice round $500 million cash & by the way you ought to sue the clowns that installed the first one - absolutely shocking workmanship...

1. TeeCee Gold badge
        Happy

Re: But

There's a fundamental error in there.

You've assumed they can get the parts.......

"Tsk, tsk. Haven't seen one of these for years mate, no call for 'em since the 4000F came out. Cheap was it? No? Saw you coming there they did. Tell you what, I know a lad who might have one on Earth....could get it up here maybe next week, maybe week after that? I'll tell you straight though, it ain't gonna be cheap.......Put the tea on while I make a couple of calls....."

5. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Yeah, but the call out fee

would be astronomical!

2. richard 69
    Pint

you've gotta hand it to them....

it's a ridiculous amount of money but they've done a great job.....who wouldn't be shitting themselves if you had to hang onto the ISS to sort the cooling system out?

somebody send them a carlsberg..

1. Andus McCoatover
      Unhappy

Calsberg?

You cheap b*astard!

Make it a Guinness, and REALLY test that piss-filter out!

I wouldn't dare hang on to the ISS in an EVA even to have a quick crafty smoke outside.

Seriously, an outstanding job, as I've said before, brave buggers. I could never even contemplate doing that, no matter how much training I'd had.

Shame when de-orbited, NASA's gonna aim it at Finland out of spite, as Finland's just been voted by Newsweek as the "world's best country", beating USA to 11th*

Helmets off to them...Oops!

*http://www.yle.fi/uutiset/news/2010/08/newsweek_finland_worlds_best_country_1907500.html

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cooling system?

Cant they use a fan? Seems a bit of a faff to get the air con fixed!

1. Witty username
      Thumb Down

Or

Just crack a window open

...oh yeah, its in space.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like