Diskcon USA is where the hard disk drive industry goes to discuss technology, areal density and innovation. There are lots of juicy sessions but nothing much from Seagate. It's being held at the Santa Clara Hotel on September 9th and 10th and session one is concerned with HDD component manufacturing and metrology. There are …
Mechanical disks aren't the future
I expect that Seagate will get out of the HDD manufacturing business soon. We're bouncing up against the limits of the technology and solid state is where the industry is going. the days of the HDD are numbered. SSD prices are beginning to fall to the point where they will be affordable, soon. They're much less expensive to manufacture and there are no mechanical devices to fail.
- Hi-torque tank engines: EXTREME car hacking with The Register
- Review What's MISSING on Amazon Fire Phone... and why it WON'T set the world alight
- Product round-up Trousers down for six of the best affordable Androids
- Why did it take antivirus giants YEARS to drill into super-scary Regin? Symantec responds...
- Vid Mysterious BEAM outside London Googleplex ZAPPED