Diskcon USA is where the hard disk drive industry goes to discuss technology, areal density and innovation. There are lots of juicy sessions but nothing much from Seagate. It's being held at the Santa Clara Hotel on September 9th and 10th and session one is concerned with HDD component manufacturing and metrology. There are …
Mechanical disks aren't the future
I expect that Seagate will get out of the HDD manufacturing business soon. We're bouncing up against the limits of the technology and solid state is where the industry is going. the days of the HDD are numbered. SSD prices are beginning to fall to the point where they will be affordable, soon. They're much less expensive to manufacture and there are no mechanical devices to fail.
- Crawling from the Wreckage Want a more fuel efficient car? Then redesign it – here's how
- Review Xperia Z3: Crikey, Sony – ANOTHER flagship phondleslab?
- Human spaceships dodge ALIEN BODY skimming Mars
- Downrange Are you a gun owner? Let us in OR ELSE, say Blighty's top cops
- Ex-US Navy fighter pilot MIT prof: Drones beat humans - I should know