back to article Sat firm fails to stop legal challenge

ICO Global Communications has failed to force a judicial review of Ofcom's decision to move to release radio frequencies allocated to the company. Despite the US-based ICO having invested $3bn in building a satellite network, and launching its first bird into orbit, the UK regulator has won the right to send a letter to the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Meanwhile, 99% 0f...

...the World's bits are being carried on the 802.11x and Bluetooth bands.

There is no shortage of bandwidth, only wasted propagation and wasted power when no beam forming is provided.

Picocell technology is the cheapest deployment method, even AT&T moves traffic to a Wi-Fi hotspot whenever it can.

Now, cooperative mesh forming under 802.11n and narrow beam forming through advanced antenna design can deliver unlimited bandwitdth. Soon, we should see GPS based GeoRouting and cascade protocols built into consumer routers. The more routers, the faster the mesh becomes.

I was pleased to note tha GeoRouting is being built into the top of the line Cisco product, so we now have proof of concept.

<action> zeke steps down and carries soapbox North </action>

Happy

Ofcom? I've heard of them.

Maybe they could send a similar "you're not using it so we want it back" letter to the company that ended up with all the UK Fixed Wireless Access broadband licences following some post-auction deals a few years back. Then known as PCCW, I've lost track of the company's current name. The alleged service was initially called Netvigator, then Now (oh dear), and again I have no idea what their service is currently called. If their service actually exists at all, that is.

Spectrum don't come for free, Ofcom, and sensible licences come with obligations. You of all people should know that. Apart from the sensible bit, obviously.

Anonymous Coward

Um...

Wasn't there a mad rush a while ago to launch a single satellite to claim the frequencies we wanted to use for our European version of GPS? If so, why when they're doing the same thing (getting a single satellite up there to claim their frequencies) does it not work the same way? Last I checked, the European GPS system wasn't 'operational' either.

Thumb Up

GALILEO

Yeah, the initial sat was sent up to "reserve frequencies" I seem to remember, and they now have two, or maybe three sats up.

I was amused...

"[ICO] do not currently have the funding required to launch additional MEO satellites. If we were required to launch additional MEO satellites in order to maintain the UK authorization but were unable to secure the additional funding required for the completion of construction and launch of those satellites, it could lead to the loss of our UK MEO authorization, which could have a material adverse effect on our prospects, financial condition and results of operations."

i.e. we haven't got the money to do what we said we were going to do, and if you force us to do it we might lose our licence and then we won't be able to do it anyway.

So under what circumstances were you planning to do it?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums