Nokia has started testing Nokia Listings in India - a service much like Craigslist, only without the internet. Instead of expecting users to have computers, or even smartphones, Nokia Listings uses GPRS and runs on Series 40 handsets to provide information to the barely-connected. The service can even fall back on SMS …
"The application comes, unsurprisingly, from Nokia‘s Betalabs, and has little obvious revenue potential"
This misses the fact that GPRS and SMS data usage brings revenue to the network operators, and Nokia, like all other telecom equipment makers, is marketing to those parties as well. So a feature like this might increase the odds of the operator bundling Nokia handsets, and more mobile data usage helps NSN sell gear.
- Review This is why we CAN have nice things: Samsung Galaxy Alpha
- Hey, YouTube lovers! How about you pay us, we start paying for STUFF? - Google
- MEN: For pity's sake SLEEP with LOTS of WOMEN - and avoid Prostate Cancer
- Vid BONFIRE of the MEGA-BUCKS: $200m+ BURNED in SECONDS in Antares launch blast
- Tim Cook: The classic iPod HAD to DIE, and this is WHY