Feeds

back to article Location-based Web2.0rhea not an epidemic

People who feel compelled to constantly apprise you of their location on via the web are a tiny minority of the population. They're also mostly men. Just four per cent of US adults have ever used location-based Foursquare, Gowalla, or Loopt, with only one per cent updating the service once a week, according to a Forrester survey …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge
FAIL

Android too

The latest version of Google Maps on Android pushes Latitude REALLY hard, including adding an extra program icon that you can't delete, as well as a "Join Latitude" button taking up space in the main menu.

It's rather easy to hit either one by accident. Very annoying.

JB
Coat

Wha?

Never heard of these services myself, what are they? I suppose I am 3 years older than the top end of the demographic for these things, whatever they are, so I shouldn't be surprised!

Mine's the raincoat with the 10-shilling note in the pocket.

FAIL

Just...?

Four (4) percent seems quite *amazingly* high - why 'just'?

80% have never heard of it... where did that come from, and how to classify the 16% that remain who must have heard of it but not used it?

Don't use stats inconsistently or in a manner that makes it appear you are statistically challenged.

Silver badge
Happy

Another pissing contest?

It's just like dogs in the street peeing on lamp posts and gates and sign posts and anything they can cock their legs at.

Will come to grief when 'er indoors spots where the dirty dog has been while telling her he's elsewhere.

Bod
Bronze badge
Badgers

Location, Location, Location

I don't really get the desire to shout "here I am, please burgle my home when I'm away" to the world.

FAIL

Heard of the services...

...refuse to tell world&dog where I am or what I'm doing unless necessary for what I'm doing where I'm doing it. It's strictly nobody's business where I am at which time.

I've never heard of them either...

I guess I'm too old (in the 35-40 years-old range).

Well, actually, I heard a friend mention "Foursquare" in relation to a dinner date, though I never quite understood what he meant. He said something about "checking in at your destination" and I asked, "why?" to which he responded with a blank stare.

He's not so much into the Web-Two-Point-Oh-Social-Networking-And-Badgers clan, as he is into the Lets-Get-Rich-Quick-By-Making-A-Web-Site-That-Exploits-All-The-Latest-Buzz-So-That-It'll-Be-Eventually-Bought-By-Google-Yay! crowd.

-dZ.

Silver badge
Thumb Down

A luddite POV ?

Social networking sites are an identity thief's best friend. Location-aware sites are a burglar's best friend. (Also a hit-man's).

Just say no.

This topic is closed for new posts.