back to article Judas Phone: more Photoshop tomfoolery

Some sites call for Photoshop submissions [Fark and B3ta.com]. And some reject them, as Reg reader Bill discovered today. His "bored Friday stuff" was knocked back by the estimable site Judasphone.com, so he sent them to us instead. We thought you would like to see these: Fake iPhone 4 ad Fake iPhone 4 ad - pi Thanks, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. David Eddleman
    Happy

Send it over to b3ta

They'll gladly take it.

Meanwhile, that first one is going on my desktop at work.

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

I know why they rejected them...

Because they're stupid...

1. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

Clarity

Your post has none.

Are the submissions stupid? Are the people who rejected the submissions stupid?

1. Mr Young
        Alert

That sounds just a little bit grumpy

Surely Photoshop was invented for laughs? The link below had me laughing! At work. ffs - they think I'm mad!

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/environment/bp-photoshopped-image-of-pelican-giving-the-thumbs%11up-201007222936/

2. Tom Maddox Silver badge
        Coat

Wrong

It's "their stupid." Get your flaming right, n00b.

1. Jan 0 Silver badge
          Headmaster

Oh delicious irony!

So who's the noob?

they're = they are

their = belonging to them

Anyway, it's not much of a flame without a <flame on> and caps lock.

1. Jimbo 6

I believe...

...Tom actually meant to choose the icon to the right of the one he did. Assume that and his post makes perfect sense.

2. frank ly
            Headmaster

@Jan 0

I think Tom was being too subtle for you. There are two situations in which the use of 'their' would be appropriate. Tom implied one of them (flaming - lack of thought - getting things wrong.) Tom was saying, 'if you want to flame, do it properly by making spelling mistakes.'

The other possible use of 'their' would be if the word 'stupid' was treated as a noun, for the purpose of humour. Compare with the word 'smarts', used to mean 'qualities or evidence of intelligence'. (I realise that 'stupid=noun' use is not a good fit for the original 'Because their stupid' post.)

3. Anonymous Coward
            FAIL

Someone missed the irony, delicious though it was

Get the flaming right == make the their/there/they're mistake, as most flamers do

4. Phil 54
            Stop

Irony?

I rather suspect that Tom Maddox knows the difference between "their" and "they're".

*but I agree with you on the caps

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Free case

My fave: "Apple offers free iPhone case to tackle antenna problem":

http://b3ta.com/board/10127985

4. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Actually...

Valve (of Gordon Freeman and Half -Life fame) wouldn´t let you use their green hand with missing thumb from Left4Dead for free. As an photoshop exercise it looks nice though. Not to mention it is a left hand...

Valve itself, on the other hand...(pun intended), could they joke about iPhone users becoming zombies?

5. Gulfie

That payphone submission...

...seems to have made it in modified form. Identical text, different background, and a 10p piece. If anything it looks like the idea was accepted but the colour scheme was too far away from the other submissions...

1. Robert E A Harvey
      Coat

whot?

10p? Blimey, was time travel involved as well?

Mine's the one with £50 of 20p coins in the pocket.

6. studentrights
    Thumb Down

Don't Hold it Wrong

Funny, nobody seemed to care about the problem before they noticed it on the iPhone...

“Mobile phone manuals that describe where not to hold the devices”

Collected by David Chartier.

http://dontholditwrong.tumblr.com/

Funny how it's in the MANUAL Nokia, Samsung, , HTC, BlackBerry and Droid phones... plenty of spots you shouldn't touch...

1. Ed Deckard
      Flame

Dear Studentrights,

My understanding (derived entirely from the Reg's coverage) is that this goes beyond the typical reception problems encountered when other phones are held certain ways, and is derived from the antenna not being insulated. The possibility of some kind of assembly issue was also explored early on but has mostly been dropped from the discussion I think.

As you pointed out, the potential problem is mentioned in many phone manuals. Part of the problem is that it's *not* mentioned in the iPhone manual.

Much of the rest is mostly because the company (and some of its fans) have been in deep denial that the problem even exists, making every possible excuse from "it's all in your head" through "you aren't holding it right" to "bars display software bug." Some have even suggested a media conspiracy to harm Apple, because, as we know, journalists *hate* Steve Jobs.

Sincerely,

Ed Deckard

P.S.: Flame icon because I tried very hard not to write one.

2. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Re: Don't Hold it Wrong

Steve Job's FUD seems to be working well then... *rolleyes*

Why can't any of you iTards see the difference between the attenuation issue that is common to ALL phones, and the detuning issue that is UNIQUE to the iPhone 4 (caused by touching specific spot on the edge of the phone)?

7. Robert Heffernan
    Go

RE: Bootnote

"We are not really set up for Photoshop madness, but we always welcome contributions."

Sounds like an enhancement waiting to happen!

8. bdam
    Jobs Horns

Thanks all

There's loads more at motivatedphotos.com, I just got this approved today: http://motivatedphotos.com/?id=93498. Suggest you search that site for "iPhone" :-)

Bill

9. mafoo
    Paris Hilton

sigh 2

they rejected them because identical ones have been posted a bazilion times before. I've seen at least 10 different variations on the chopped off fingers.

And reg, prepare for the deluge of photoshops.

10. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

The left for dead hand image is copyrighted isn't it?

The site that pays Andrew Orlowski to bash the" freetards" uses copyrighted images without even giving a credit to the artist?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The left for dead hand image is copyrighted isn't it?

That is an interesting, Manichean way of characterising this.

I was not aware that copyright images were involved. However,

the use of images for parody purposes is afforded protection under law on both sides of the Atlantic.

IANL, but my recollection that we don't even have to give a credit. But in response to your comment, I have added an acknowledgement in the tooltip.

...As I say, we are not really set up for Photoshop submissions

11. DanHarper
    FAIL

Describing people who object current copyright laws as being "freetads" is Manichean

Pointing out how easy it is to get on the wrong side of nonsensical copyright laws hardly is.

And just giving credit won't help you - the image is not a parody of "Left for Dead", and is not related to the game at all. The artist just needed an image of a hand missing a finger and "stole" (as large corporations like to call it) the image from Valve. Nothing protects this kind of use (although it makes sense there should have been)

In reality, Valve don't know you use the image and don't care, so you can and should use it . But the fact that all of this discussion is even necessary shows the sad state of current copyright law.

12. Tigra 07
    FAIL

Sign me up!

Wow a 10 pence piece with each phone! =]

Sign me up to a contract, i never liked making phone calls anyway

13. Dr Patrick J R Harkin

"We are not really set up for Photoshop madness, but we always welcome contributions."

Photoshop is so last season. Playmobil in the new Photoshop.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like