Feeds

back to article Firefox update guards hen house

Mozilla has pushed out a new version of Firefox that fixes numerous security holes, some critical. Firefox version 3.6.7 addresses 14 vulnerabilities, eight of which are described as critical. The most serious flaws involve the handling of malformed PNG images, memory bugs and other code execution risks, as explained here. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Stop

Another week..

Another Firefix release... When will people learn, security needs to be built in from the ground up, not patched in.

Thumb Up

Great stuff

So what did firefox neglect that they should have included?

Stop

Another patch

Another whinging commenter... When will people learn that at least Firefox vulnerabilities are patched promptly, unlike some browsers I could mention.

Thumb Down

@AC12:33

> Another Firefix release... When will people learn, security needs to be built in from the ground up, not patched in.

I'm looking forward to you writing an absolutely perfect browser, so secure and feature-complete that it will never need to go above v1.00

who cares...

firefox is a POS anyway. i stopped using it a while back. its just for browser testing now. even IE 8 is loads better than FF, although chrome is my browser of choice these days

Silver badge
Troll

"even IE 8 is loads better than FF"

Obvious troll is obvious.

Speed?

Only change made to one PC is Firefox update. Now moves with all the vigour of our proverbial dead parrot.

Grenade

Must be talking about a different Firefox

After all, the famous one is open sauce. As commentards here have often delighted in pointing out, mainly in threads concerning MSIE, Firefox doesn't have any problems because millions of people download it and check the code for any potential problems.

Thumb Up

Great stuff

Can't remember a single post which claimed that. Can you link to one please?

Linux

FireFOSS

Thanks for the article. My Win 7 Firefox 3.6.6 failed to notify that an update was available.

The options that is aren't - "automatically check for udpates" and "ask me what I want to do". One notes that FF may have checked for an update, but it surely did not ask me what I wanted to do.

The FOSS standard - "Hey, it's free - stop bitchin".

Flame

It was released less than 24 hours ago

Your browser doesn't check every 5 minutes to see if there's an update. It didn't notify you because it hasn't checked since the update was released.

Linux

opensource

problem with FF in the same with OpenOffice, a famous application build of a defeated close-source (netscape), outdated code, open-source chaotic nature can lead to inefficient application.

Silver badge

God, listen to you people!

A browser got a patch!

BIG! FUCKING! DEAL!

Obviously evidence of why all of open source software is completely horrible, Firefox is unusable, etc, etc. Definitely not just a team fixing a flaw, oh no.

Alright then, let's not patch Firefox any more. It won't ever get updates, you can quit whining - would you prefer that?

Thumb Up

It's automatic

That's what I like about Firefox. The updates are automatically downloaded and installed when you restart Firefox. :) There is no need for that much fuss. No need to reboot computers or install huge downloaders (I'm looking at you Adobe and Microsoft). Just exit Firefox and when you start it up again for the next browsing session, it installs the updates.

This topic is closed for new posts.