back to article Directgov gets Cabinet Office overlords

Responsibility for the government’s online service - Directgov - is set to become part of the Cabinet Office minister’s brief. Iain Duncan-Smith, who is Secretary for Work and Pensions, currently oversees Directgov’s functions. However, Frances Maude is about to take charge of UK.gov’s website in yet another shake-up initiated …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
FAIL

How many users?

Hits is a very vague metric.

How many actual users does that "20 million hits translate" to? I suspect its just 10,000 -ish.

Bronze badge

MLF

Has anybody else noticed that the TLA MLF is very close to the ETLA, which describes a woman who has been previously successfuly gravid but still retains very visible fecundity.

(Yes for indeeed I have both read the posting guidelines, and am now trying to stay the right side of the moderator).

So does Martha have any children..... just curious? Funny there was this one time that I called a friend of mine a MI..., oops anyway you get the point, in a chatroom. To which she responded that she was bringing her toys, and when she saw me at the weekend she would make it so I didn't want to do the F... (out of the aforementioned hinted at ETLA)....for a week. I am wandering a bit off the point, this has now got very little to do with IT, is straying into errm well being a bit perverse and lets be honest with the total lack of WebToo content I really can't see anybody being interested.......

Laters

TT

Symptoms not problem

DirectGov is the wrong solution. It's little more than an umbrella brand over disparate Government services. It doesn't make them easier to find or use.

If I want to find a government service, I'll first try the site belonging to the department I think owns it. If I can't find it there, I'll Google it.

Apart from a crappy orange logo and some press releases, DirectGov doesn't add anything.

OK, it also provides a hosting platform based on (I think) Stellent for those Gov departments (at least the ones that fit the DirectGov model) to consolidate their pages onto. However, unless you're just publishing simple content pages, you don't fit the model. That's why you have to shell out of DirectGov to renew your tax disc.

And if you are just publishing content, there are better, cheaper ways than using Stellent. A government-wide install of Drupal and WordPress would take car of content sites big and small.

It's OK if you like orange though.

Yup, DirectGov is the Yahoo! front page of government

A big old gaudy branding mess slapped on what's essentially a disparate set of services that you can find a lot faster just by Googling.

That they keep moving things around doesn't help either - it really is easier to just Google for what you want rather than to play hunt-the-moving-link.

Aggregator FAIL.

Thumb Up

DWP made it work

When in Cabinet Office, DirectGov claimed that you could use a 3rd party digital certificate for secure access, but a very respected IT consultancy could not make that work. Moving DG to DWP made it work a lot better, but it seemed odd for DWP to be a service supplier to other depts, so taking it back to a non-spending dept makes sense. And there is a new team at Cabinet Office, hopefully more approachable than the original group.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums