We understand Data Domain is introducing a new top-end mainstream product, more than twice as fast as HP's D2D4312 StoreOnce deduplication offering. The DD6xx series of products is Data Domain's mainstream, with the DD880 being its extreme high-end appliance, deduping at up to 8.8TB/hour. The DD690 is the fastest mainstream …
Nice if you use Symantec
While I have to agree these quoted speeds are impressive you need to remember a number of small facts.
i. In the past DataDomain have only quoted speeds based on the use of NetBackup and OST, I am assuming now these are also dependent on the new OST Boost product.
ii. I assume this speed is dependant on a network with end to end 10 GbE.
iii. Maxing out the injest of the appliance is seldom achieved as usually the limit of concurrent streams is reached first.
So beware if you are anything but a Symantec customer, you might want to do some performance testing first.
Speeds & Feeds
Check out the spec sheet http://goo.gl/VH4u
5.4TB/hr with DD-Boost & 10GbE, so they're offloading de-dupe to media servers.
Netbackup & OST speed is actually 3.6TB/hr with 10GbE.
But what's the price ? Maybe you could buy 2 x the competition and not faf about with OST & DDBoost.
- NASA boffin: RIDDLE of odd BULGE FOUND on MOON is SOLVED
- SOULLESS machine-intelligence ROBOT cars to hit Blighty in 2015
- BuzzGasm! Thirteen Astonishing True Facts You Never Knew About SCREWS
- Worstall on Wednesday YES, iPhones ARE getting slower with each new release of iOS
- Tor attack nodes RIPPED MASKS off users for 6 MONTHS