Not sure that
Cade has an axe to grind necessarily. This whole episode as reported has show quite a bit of inconsistent behaviour and explanations on Googles part.
1. Google secretly helps develop a phone but denies it all the way until they finally release it to the surprise of no one.
2. This annoys their partners somewhat after they have outlaid a bucket of cash in promotion etc by selling their own phone in competition and then invite them to join the Google store, but claim they are not in competion.
3. Then when things are perhaps not going so swimmingly on the phone selling front globally they decide to sell the N1 through partner retail channels.
4. They then close the Google store.
5. Finally they close up on the whole thing and claim it was a huge sucess and now it is a developer phone.
Now don’t get me wrong I have an HTC Desire and really like it and the whole Android platform, however I not exactly convinced by many of their explanations of the whole episode.