Feeds

back to article Vista-hating Microsoft throws poo at Apple's iPhone 4

Microsoft really, really hates its dud Vista operating system - so much so that it can now openly badmouth its own product while taking a bitchy stab at Apple and its current iPhone 4 antenna woes. The company’s COO Kevin Turner took to the stage at Microsoft’s annual partner shindig yesterday to offload some snarky soundbites, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Grenade

re : "despite the problems with iPhone 4, customers still desire the product"

That says more about the customers than it does about the product - they're more interested in the thing looking good than minor considerations such as the product actually working correctly.

Silver badge

No 'the' about it

What was Microsoft's market share before Vista? What is Microsoft's market share now? Your attempt to draw a distinction between the buying habits of iPhone customers and customers of every other company simply doesn't work.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Flame

@more about the customers...

Or maybe it just says that Apple have a better handle on what aspects of the product are important to their customer base than their rivals do...

Lets face it, just how many of the products that this flakey industry we work in delivers can really be said to work correctly in every aspect. It really depresses me that people would much rather buy the latest version with more wizzy whatsits and even more bugs than encourage the vendor to make the old product work consistently and reliably. Everything about purchasing habits in IT suggest that wealth of features is far more important to the customer than lack of bugs.

(Written by Reg staff)

Re: @AC

Easy now. Simmer down.

FAIL

@AC2 "you know *nothing* of the criteria people use when buying an iPhone"

Oh really? Funny that, seeing as I considered buying one and changed my mind because it doesn't seem to work correctly - it was one of the criteria for buying/not buying.

"You know nothing and have no right to judge them."

A bit like you know nothing about me but feel you have the right to judge me.

Troll

@ @AC

LOL! Butthurt much? Did he hit a nerve?

I'm not quite sure on what grounds you're going to deny that the Apple herd choose looks over function but I'd love to hear you try...

Seriously?

"Or maybe it just says that Apple have a better handle on what aspects of the product are important to their customer base than their rivals do..."

What? You're suggesting that Apple's market research has shown iPhone users don't really care if their products can make phone calls, send text messages or make data connections? Seriously? PLEASE read your comments before posting and have a little think about what you are saying.

I'm sure there are a million and one reasons why people buy iPhones but "Hey, it'll make a great paper-weight" doesn't count amongst them.

Heart

Re: @AC

Dear Miss Bee,

with regards to my comment http://forums.theregister.co.uk/post/816073

I rest my case.

WTF?

@Sarah

Interesting you choose to allow the offenses and attacks to go on and on. Is this not about discussion? Because attacks and offensive statements kill discussion, full stop.

Thumb Down

D'oh

Everybody seems to forget that the thing does work as long as you hold it like a normal human being.

My TV doesn't work very well if I put it upside down or watch it with my hand in front of my eyes. Funny that.

Just hold the damn thing properly morons.

(Written by Reg staff)

Re: Re: @AC

Sorry, that's not a link and I can't be bothered to cut and paste it. But I'm sure you're right about whatever it is.

(Written by Reg staff)

Re: @Sarah

Well, one man's meat is another man's... poo. Or the same man's, if you hang around for long enough.

I think we can all learn something from that.

Silver badge

@Stone Fox

Umm, it doesn't actually work like that. As in those crazy esoteric areas of life like science and law, the person making a statement has the burden of establishing that it's true. In all probability, if I were to claim that "In Summer 2003 you drowned a kitten" then people wouldn't think that must be true unless you can convince us that it's false. They'd ask me for my evidence.

J 3
Troll

@D'oh

And since when do phones come with a manual stating how to "hold it like a normal human being"?? If you did hang around human beings at all, you'd have noticed nobody needs instruction on how to hold their phones, they just pick it up any way the want and use the thing, no worries about not touching this or that corner -- my el cheapo phone that came free certainly didn't come with such instructions, and I've never paid attention how I'm holding it, which can be several different ways and either hand, depending on what I'm doing. Amazingly enough, it's yet to drop a call in two years of use. Funny, that.

Troll

Hold the phone

The "normal human way"? Gratuitous insults?

Hm. Thinking... thinking.... yepp!

See pic.

Silver badge
FAIL

@you know *nothing* of the criteria people use when buying an iPhone

Let's think about this for a moment. "If I hold this wrong I'm going to drop calls. I want one anyway." Seems to me that it's pretty obvious that functionality is not high on the list of considerations here. That's certainly not Apple's failing. In fact I'd call it a win for them and an epic fail for anyone who's gullible enough to buy their products.

Thumb Down

@J3. Umm, Nokia Do

Well, Nokia do.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/28/nokia-muses-on-grip-styles-says-you-can-hold-your-phone-any-wa/

Gates Horns

Apple learned from the master

Bill Gates pointed that out years ago.

http://www.cantrip.org/nobugs.html?seenIEPage=1

Flame

Sure we know folks criteria for buying APPLE

Consumerist folks are *zzwhole top-2-bottom. They buy crap-product ... just because they have freely-disposable money to do so. And **you** don't. How prole can it be to worry about ANTENNA DESIGN. Feckin-A dipole this dipole that ... peon iPhoneLess scum ... eat dirt.

Anonymous Coward

well, this thread really makes sense now

seeing as you deleted the comment that most of the replies are directed at...

(Written by Reg staff)

Re: well, this thread really makes sense now

Oh no! Whatever shall we do?

Boffin

Whatever shall we do?

Imagine fast-paced banjo music playing while you read the thread. Works for me.

FAIL

You can tell when it's Microsoft time to launch new products

Time to badmouth and spread FUD about the competition.

FAIL

...because

Because Apple would never do that. Hi I'm a Mac, and I'm bloody great me and this is my shit head of a friend of a PC and take from me he's a fucker.

Thumb Up

Dish the dirt - more please

I'm liking this from Microsoft - They need to get a bit more aggressive!!! Take some notes from Apple who are the masters of this game.

Yay!

FAIL

@Vicky

Did they ever mention Micro$haft ever?

Grenade

Hi I'm a Mac and I'm taking the mickey out of PC because he's running... Linux Mint. Uhh...

Are you seriously suggesting in all of those I'm a Mac, I'm a PC ads they were not having a jab at Microsoft?

What were they decrying then, Linux? Somewhat unlikely.

Don't get me wrong I quite like Mac OS X, but Windows 7 is also really nice. I'm just saying if you dish it, you gotta be able to take it too.

Anonymous Coward

@Vicky

Did they run those adverts outside of the US?

That style of advertising is pretty common in the US, whether it's Apple vs PC (+Windows), Verizon vs AT&T (+iPhone), Acura vs Toyota or Andrex vs Cushelle. In short, everyone does it. IIRC, MS did their own ones when Vista was around and they were a laughing stock.

I've never seen an Apple advert on TV in the UK, but then I don't live in/around London, so there are a great many adverts I haven't seen for all sorts of things.

I think those X vs Y type of adverts are frowned upon very seriously by the ASA, particularly where they make subjective or difficult to substantiate claims. Look at the recent hoo-har over who has the "best" 3G coverage, for example.

Badgers

yes they did

I saw the I'm a Mac and I'm a PC adverts in the cinema in the UK. They annoyed me greatly because they were blatantly wrong. One stated windows PC's lock up all the time and get viruses while it's impossible for Mac OS X PC's to have problems. While another said how PC's were for work and you couldn't play games on them, this before Steam was brought to Mac OS X.

They were around for about 2 months before they went, I'm guessing the ASA had them pulled for being misleading/lying.

Silver badge

Pulled for being rubbish, actually

For some reason they cast Mitchell & Webb in the localised versions, basically doing their Peep Show characters. So PC (/Mitchell) was about what they wanted, Mac (/Webb) was more like what Microsoft would want - lazy and self important. Or like they'd decided that the message should be "OS vendors are all a little rubbish"

I think they do localised versions in quite a few countries. Or did, at least.

Jobs Horns

D

Unfortunately they did...and they cast British actors too. Namely the two characters out of Peep Show (in character). Obviously the hacks looking to generate that hideous, toe curlingly smug atmosphere which accompanies any Apple advert didn't understand that BOTH the Peep Show characters are deeply flawed. They had Mark as the straight PC and Jeremy as the 'Cool' Mac. As anybody who has seen the show knows, Jeremy is a loser who tries to be cool and epically fails all of the time.

Apple adverts seem specifically designed for existing Apple fanatics and only appear to enrage or turn off other potential market. The smugness is overwhelming too.

As for the games claim, I don't remember it but it is obviously complete bollocks. Good luck playing the latest games on an adapted laptop with a huge resolution screen...fail

This post has been deleted by a moderator

LPF
Paris Hilton

@AC

why do you care so much about a company , that buy your own figures only sells a pidderling amount?? awh too poor to afford one :(

Parisd because she also knows how to respond to a whiny little bi*tch

FAIL

@AC re: diatribe claiming he is better than you

What a bunch of shit you write, full of falsehood and obfuscation, but when you've got a position of offense, people stop at nothing.

Thumb Up

Response to Iphone purchases

Apple has attained a status where I believe no other company has matched; whereby the everyday consumer actually desires these products regardless of it's deficiencies.

The desire is irrational, you can't apply reason or logic to it, hence the success of the iphone4 even with the antenna flaw. That is why I think your prediction is wrong; I believe people will still covet Apple products and still purchase them in greater numbers.

Very sad, unfortunately.

Thumb Down

@AC

whine whine whine ......

fact is, I (and almost every other mac user I know) have NEVER bought an Apple device for the coolness.

I know they dont "just work". Perfection in software / hardware from any manufacturer is pretty much impossible.

But they do 'work' much better than anything else. I know I am much more productive using a mac than windows. I have to use both on an almost daily basis so its nothing to do with what i am familiar with.

Now can you claim that you have spent years working on both, so that your post was an informed decision? Or was it just a jealous rant of someone who just fears the unknown so has to justify their own faults by masking it with a put down of others?

Anonymous Coward

Not so true

Apple's products are a fashion item, but you can't dismiss their usability. I'm yet to use a touchscreen phone that's got the responsiveness of the iPhone, or an mp3 player that has the ease of use of the iPod's click wheel. Granted, iTunes is horrid, and marketing may be the drive for most purchases, but you are simply denying all the good things their products have.

FAIL

@AC

"the reason why the iPhone is still selling is because people aren't buying a phone, they're buying a fashion accessory"

Consumer Reports would disagree with you.

Re: iPhone purchases

Well, that certainly explains why every review claims that the iPhone 4 is a great device--even those from from Consumer Reports and the like, which say that--other than the antenna issue--the iPhone 4 is the best smart-phone in the market.

Perhaps most iPhone customers are buying the phone for *those* additional qualities, and enjoy them much more than they care for the so-called antenna problem.

-dZ.

FAIL

It's been said before,

...but why don't you just get a fucking life already? Apple succeed; you fail; the world carries on regardless.

FAIL

Tombo

>People buy the iPhone for the same reason people buy any Apple product- no it's not quality, they've always been full of defects, no it's not features, they've always lacked features compared to competitors, no it's not even usability because most Apple stuff doesn't "just work"

Actually I buy the stuff for their quality and features.

I also have a Thinkpad for my windows work. It's a piece of shit. They used to be good but now they aren't. It's running Windows 7. The switchable graphics driver crashes consistently and now it won't wake up from hibernate. Even if I hold it a different way, these things still happen. The docking station is nice though.

Gold badge

Nothing else "works" better.

Apple's stuff largely does work better than the competition. Why? because the competition is driven by feature count or USP (unique selling point, adding a feature that the competition doesn't have).

It's why the HTC phones are like swiss army knives, lots of ports, features and tools, but none of them particularly nice to use.

When reading a review of the HTC desire I found it quite comical. Something along the lines of "when trying to phone someone, the first time the phone locked up, but it was fine after that". That's Microsoft quality, the old "if it doesn't work, try it again" line. The sort of shoddy quality we've grown accustomed to with Microsoft, "yeah ignore that error, the phone was just starting up, it will be okay once it has booted".

Another thing I read which made me laugh was HTC Sync and how (a) it wasn't included with the phone and (b) when downloaded it found the phone but wouldn't back up the phone? backup software that doesn't work? that's about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

There's been bigger problems with HTC phones that have had even more angrier responses, but since HTC don't make the headlines much the press doesn't care.

Sites like this give you an idea that things aren't perfect in HTC land either:

http://www.htcclassaction.org/

I'm about to get my iPhone 4 after nearly two years with my iPhone 3G. Before this phone I had about two phones a year on average, getting bored or frustrated with them, especially the lack of software enhancements.

The big problem with phones is the hardware is often more capable than the software, but OEMs don't care about this as they only make money from the hardware, so they want you to keep buying phones even if you've got a really good piece of hardware already.

I can honestly say the iPhone is the best phone I've had. Although I would have liked to see the Palm Pre do well as their OS looks much nicer than Android. It's good to have competition.

I'd love to agree with you

...but I just cannot. The only reason my desktop is not running linux (like my laptop) is itunes (and Civ4). I also find the itouch (I don't want a Jesus phone) a very nice UI which just works.

I've never patched it past the 1.5 free firmware though, as I couldn't be arsed about apps / games, I just want to watch movies on a flight and listen to music. The Jesus phone pisses through the battery compared to the itouch.

Smartphones I've purchased include samsung omnia (which is shite), palm pre (which is so good that the wife stole it - it really is a girls phone in fairness), so I've purchased an android phone 20 minutes ago to replace it. It had better live up to the hype.....!!!!

Itunes is by far my favorite music organiser, far better than anything else I've used.

Pint

@Giles

Can't say that post makes much sense, are you having a go at HTC (one maker of phones on which Win runs, out of many others), Windows (which you don't mention much), or the HTC Desire (which runs Android)? Just to help, the story's about Microsoft.

The class action site that's not been updated in two years didn't really provide any enlightenment, but it does show HTC responding from quite early stages (Apple silence anyone?).

No particular position, am Linux lover, Win hater and never felt the need to try any Apple products (or Nike/Reebok/et al). Tho I am a technical user, so that does influence my choices, as obviously I can trust myself quite well.

P.S. just checked around my Desire and it has two ports - mini USB and earphones... about the same as an iPhone I would guess. Unless "lots of ports" was supposed to be spelt "two ports that aren't proprietary".

Nothing personal, honest, just that even amongst the rabid collection of comments on this thread, yours stood out. Have a beer on me...

nK

No you didn't...

...say '... your average Nokia smartphone tends to achieve such as the N95 with it's 10mill+ sales.' (You forgot to put a 'flame' icon AC 12:02.) When was the last time you heard about people waiting in a cue for a Nokia... ANYTHING? Has Nokia ever sold 2mill+ of ONE phone in less than 3 weeks? Do you honestly believe in what you wrote? Why was you allowed NEAR a keyboard? Is the library closing? Quality ... and technical merits? They virtually introduced touch phones and everyone else followed -damn the cost! And you don't believe a predictive 7.5mill in 6 MONTHS of ONE phone? Nokia only DREAMS of those figures!

YOU ARE A TROLL!!

Strange?

That's strange because my HTC Desire came with the backup software on the SD Card. Granted I can't use it with my Mac, but it is there and it did backup my phone when I tried it on my work laptop running XP SP3.

My iPhone 3G was also the best phone I'd ever owned until I got my HTC Desire.

Why not try one for 7 days or so. Order from an online retailer where you can return the handset before 7 days are up and give it a try?

I was going to do a back to back with the iPhone 4, but as none were available I just decided to keep the Desire.

Apple's stuff just works better than the competition? Probably. But any better than a stock laptop with Win7? Doubtful. I reckon most of the horror stories around Windows are all down to the way on PC can be so different to another. It's easy to develope something for a Mac where the OS is the same, the h/w is the same, basically it's locked down. A PC can be any number of combinations, unless it's something like my mam's laptop that came with Win7 and will never be fiddled with.

Pint

Tombo

>I reckon most of the horror stories around Windows are all down to the way on PC can be so different to another. It's easy to develope something for a Mac where the OS is the same, the h/w is the same, basically it's locked down.

I completely and totally agree with you. Most of the problems with the PC (or IBM-Clone as we used to call them) is third party drivers, and marketingware and all that. This comes from 3rd party hardware venders and generally not Microsoft's fault. The fact remains, from a customer's point of view, with the IBM-Clone, I have to deal with that crap much less than I do with my Macs.

FAIL

> "We don’t have a mission statement that reminds us not to do evil,”

That, my friend, is more than obvious!

(sometimes you just can't resist shooting a fish in a barrel)

Joke

They should put up a few of these, around campus

http://www.schneier.com/images/dont-commit-crime.jpg

...Just as a reminder, like.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.