back to article NASA, Microsoft offer new 3D Mars maps

NASA and Microsoft have teamed up to present huge amounts of 3-D Mars mapping data, gleaned by space probes in orbit about the red planet, in a form usable by anyone with a net connection. The floor of a large impact crater in the Martian southern highlands, north of the giant Hellas impact basin. Credit: NASA/JPL/University …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. AndrueC Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Next step..

..Google street cars.

On the plus side I don't suppose there's any risk of them capturing Wifi data :)

2. Ivan Headache

enable the public to better experience and explore Mars

So it will show where I can park my Caravan?

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

in a form usable by anyone with a net connection.?

Massive fail - the worldwidetelescope site uses silverlight 3. I don't even know if you can run that crap using moonlight, and I don't want to try. So, not usable by anyone - more like usable only by those still on ms platforms, or willing to put up with Icaza's parent trap toy.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Unhappy

Indeed

This is more about promoting MS Windows and Silverlight than anything else. If you're not using MS Windows then forget it.

NASA should be ashamed of themselves that they agreed to tem up with such a self-promoting outfit - they have managed to (no doubt) spend oogles of cash and some considerable amount of time on something that is, by design, not accessible by many many people.

2. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

Fail?

"more like usable only by those still on ms platforms"... u mean most of the world then?

Silverlight is also supported on Macs, it's up to you moonlight guys to catchup if you wanna use on an unsupported OS!

My guess is you don't want to use anything Microsoft was involved in anyway....

1. Cameron Colley

RE: My guess is you don't want to use anything Microsoft was involved in anyway....

True for me at least. I don't want any software from a company that's attempting to blackmail anyone who uses my OS of choice in a commercial venture. Moonlight is a trojan horse to get more "Microsoft Patents" into Linux.

3. Chris Miller
      FAIL

Shock, horror

Microsoft develop software and it runs in a Microsoft environment, but not in Opera 10 on Slackware. I wonder if similar comments would have been seen if Google had developed it for Google Earth or Apple had made it an iPad app - yes, I guess they would <sigh>.

Now let me see if I can find where that spat out dummy went ...

4. Defiant
    Alert

Huh

I have to bookmark this. I just can't believe the Reg is giving Microsoft the thumbs up

5. John Hoar

Microsoft hate is so last decade

Get with plan guys - Apple and Google are the villains; MS have just collapsed in a huge pile of incompetence and indecision.

6. Miek
    FAIL

Point ?

Wow, microsoft have re-invented Google Earth using Silverlight ; how innovative.

7. Mark 164
    FAIL

Silverlight?

That MS Flash-wannabe ain't coming anywhere near my Mac thank you very much.

1. Rattus Rattus

Near your Mac?

It ain't even coming anywhere near my (only) Windows box, let alone my Linux boxen.

8. Stevie

Hah!

This is tremendously exciting!

Here is the proof we've been seeking for almost 50 years now.

The pictures show a complete lack of women.

9. BoldMan
    Thumb Up

How about Phobos?

Are there any goddesses on Phobos and do they wear leather is the most important question!

10. Penguin herder
    Joke

Time for another War of the Worlds Sequel

... only this time the Martians bring with them a computer virus that takes out most of the Windows boxes on Earth.

11. Goat Jam
    Gates Horns

Sigh

Looked interesting until I saw the Silverlight requirement.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like