Feeds

back to article Apple iPhone forums gripped by deleted thread paranoia

The iPhone 4 antenna debacle has upped the paranoia levels in Apple's support forums as moderators reportedly nix any mention of Consumer Reports' volte face on the talking light slab. Consumer Reports had previously given its blessing to the iPhone 4, but did a U-turn yesterday. The news started to spread like wildfire through …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

FAIL

BT forum mods moved to apple?

have the BT phorum moderators been employed by apple?

seems to be a complete image of what BT did over any mention of phorm etc

seems to be a common line now by any big corp

if we don't like it we will just delete any thread and threaten / ban the user because we can

peter

Not Just BT and Apple...

...as the title says. I've posted maybe 30 or 40 comments at El Reg, and 2 of them were rejected or deleted without explanation. One of them was even listed in my posting history for several months after rejection. At least Apple can claim that posts are "in violation of the Apple Discussion terms of use".

Silver badge
Go

No one quite screws up like Apple.

Keep it up, nothing helps drive a company into the ground like arrogance.

S Jobs...the man most in need of a blowjob.

Which is odd as I bet there are plenty out there that would pay to give him one.

works for me

well, i've got an iphone 4 and it works alright for me. yes, i have not got as many reception bars showing as on my old 3G, but i can't say i have noticed any actual difference in call quality, or dropped calls, or browsing speed. so i'm happy.

Gold badge

Works for you...

Do you hold your iPhone like a teacup? Two fingers daintily holding the edges with the pinky pointing out into space. Or do you hold like a phone? A brick of metal and plastic squashed into your forpaw as you get on with your day and try to get some work done.

Apple: Hold Different.

Thumb Down

why hold it at all?

If you hold it in your hand then there is a slight chance that people might not see you have an iphone

Silver badge
Happy

You need to hold it

In that odd way they hold things on QVC, so that you can get a good look at the tat.

Like picking up a turd without gloves.

Silver badge

Answer the Question

Looking at the missive from Apple Central, the obvious work-around is for one person to ask a question about the antenna and for another to post all the information as an answer to it. Ts&Cs complied with...

Just curious

How is the CR report related to "support" for Apple, especially on a post supposedly to ask or answer a question?

-dZ.

Silver badge

Also curious

Where exactly within Apple do you work, DZ?

Well, here's one possible way....

If you posted a thread about fizzy phone reception on the forums and you got the "Jobsian grip" or "Reception bars" response, you might want to mention a source of information that potentially exposes the alleged lies you've been fed.

FAIL

how sad

They're desperate to stop their own customers from finding out that a problem they already know they have, is real.

When Microsoft releases a shoddy piece of hardware (hint: xbox) at least they do you the courtesy of admitting it and sending you a free replacement. I can't imagine how much money that's cost them, but they knew what had to be done and they did it. I don't recall Microsoft using weasel words like "I guess your house is just too warm for the xbox, not our problem"

In that respect it seems that Microsoft treats its customers a lot better than Apple does.

Stop

I don't rightly recall...

Really? You don't remember Microsoft offering solutions like "you shouldn't plug it into a power strip because this can cause it to overheat"? And so on. Microsoft squirmed like a captured wild animal before finally admitting it.

It was some time before MS admitted that a real problem existed. I remember people were upset over buying replacements before Microsoft extended the warranty length, so it was at least a year after the initial release.

Anonymous Coward

Revisionism ?

Not strictly true. To begin with MS argued the failure rates were within the parameters of any electronic advice.

A fair while after launch they held their hands up. Said sorry. Extended the warranty. Whther this was anything to do with threatened class actions is another matter.

Incidentally - while they were very positive about exchanging broken ones, many people ended up with a refurb. Which itself failed after a few months.

So - some people got through 5 or 6 xboxen. which is actually quite funny.

Silver badge
Happy

re: Revisionism ?

"So - some people got through 5 or 6 xboxen. which is actually quite funny."

But it only counted as one failure according to the MS stats as I recall, which was even funnier :)

Big Brother

Threads that were deleted last night seem to have been undeleted now

Oceania is at war with Eastasia. Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia. Eurasia is our ally.

Thumb Up

har de har

Excellent - post of the day!

Big Brother

Not Thom York.

I always thought that was Thom York in that picture, now I realise it's really Big Brother

Wholeheartedly

Seconded

Big Brother

woah

Thom Your is Big Brother???!

B B B B

Jobs Horns

I'm watching you!

WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, and IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Jobs Horns

Don't get your toes wet.

Steve Jobs is now officially King Canute? (or at least a partial anagram of 'Canute'...)

silly man....

Anonymous Coward

Canute analogy bad

Actually the Canute analogy isn't a good one. Canute only tried to turn back the tide to prove to his sycophantic courtiers that he WASN'T a deity.

Headmaster

I believe....

that the proper spelling of the King's name is Cnut.

That would be the anti-Canute

King Canute was a very sensible, pious and humble ruler who was surrounded by sychophants and toadies who claimed he could do anything. To prove these half-wits wrong he went down to the beach and then got a bit wet to demonstrate that he wasn't more powerful than the seas or God that commanded them.

St Steve is surrounded by the sychophants and toadies (customers) but lacks piety, humility or any common sense by the look s of it.

Silver badge
Joke

Not exactly but almost......

......the correct spelling would in fact be "Knut", however both versions are amusing as anagrams!

Silver badge
IT Angle

A good point

Allegedly a Roman general who had been granted a "triumph" or parade through Rome was followed by a slave whose job it was to whisper in the general's ear at regular intervals ""Respice post te! Hominem te memento!": "Look behind you! Remember that you are but a man!" Apple could perhaps (once they have succeeding in employing enough antenna engineers) consider hiring a new PA for Jobs whose duties would consist soley of whispering regularly in the aforementioned's ear "remember, even you can be a plonker!"

Silver badge
FAIL

Deleted Posts - excuses

I've attempted to post on the Apple forums (iTunes 9, when they screwed up the timezones), and most of my posts were deleted to rejected as I was "not being constructive".

When something is blatantly wrong the noise is what gets it fixed quickly.

Apple is now the laughingstock of the world. "Not holding it right", "firmware fault", "wind is the wrong direction". I can just here Delboy now - "ah, the statelite must have gone out of alignment"

Jobs Halo

Not a big deal.

Change your posts content. Not that big a deal.

Steve

Sent from my iThrone.

Bronze badge
Pirate

Terms of Service

change announcement ...

"Terms of Service" is now "Letter of Marque and Reprisal"

Don't worry

It could be worse.

At least Steve Jobs is only running a company and not a country.

He's like the 21st century Hitler.

Anonymous Coward

Yea But...

If he was running the UK we wouldn't have a deficit.

We'd still have a deficit

he'd just get someone to reprogram how the deficit was calculated

Joke

Would we have a deficit...

...if we held it in our left hand?

Silver badge

Perhaps no deficit, but...

there would only be 300 beautiful people. Everyone else would be swept under the carpet and never talked about.

Bronze badge
Happy

Yeah!

And the trains would run on time too!

at least..

"At least Steve Jobs is only running a company and not a country."

At least it would be a nicely designed country and have Steven Fry as Prime Minister (Prime Ministers QI's..?!).

neb
Jobs Horns

aha!

godwins law in action...

Silver badge
Linux

The Godwin Conspiracy.

> godwins law in action...

It's all just a fanboy plot to cut the discussion short!

WTF?

1st Rule of Cult Of Jobs

is you don't talk bad of Cult Of Jobs.

2nd rule of Cult Of Jobs..........

WTF?

2nd rule of Cult Of Jobs..........

(refer to 1st Rule.)

Works for me

I have had the iPhone 4 for about a week now, no dropped calls or weird signal issues. Proximity sensor works fine, screen has even color. I do have the bumpers but wanted them anyhow since they make the phone more comfortable to hold for long periods. My only complaint would be the absurd price for the bumpers. Since the antenna problem is repeatable on naked iPhones, I do think Apple should offer the bumpers free with the phone. They have enough profit margin to make that happen. With bumpers on, phone is problem free.

FAIL

Free bumpers aren't good enough

Whilst free bumpers would help I use my phone in a car cradle and a dock, and Idon't want to have to be fitting and removing a jumped-up rubber band umpteen times a day. If there's demostrably a problem then the only real answer is to engineer a fix and issue a recall.

That's how responsible companies behave.

Anonymous Coward

You're right.

So how do we know if they are doing that or not?

I'm not sure about timescales, but I would expect that they would need to:

- Investigate the problem once it is discovered by using actual engineers rather than just some YouTube videos and a selection of forum comments about how crap Apple and it's products are.

- Test a series of fixes that can be applied in the field for those already sold and change the manufacturing process for future phones.

- Have the "fixed" hardware re-certified by all the relevant bodies.

- Manufacture "fix packs" for use in the field and train maintenance staff to apply them.

And once all of that is done, they can issue a recall.

I'm going out on a downvote limb here, but that's quite a lot to do in the three weeks since launch - especially as it's more like two weeks since it wasn't immediately clear how widespread the problem is.

I do find it odd that a few weeks ago Consumer Reports supposedly couldn't be trusted as far as you could spit their bleached bones, but now they are the people's champion because they're going after Apple.

Jobs Horns

An Apple user cooked his dinner in the microwave?

Is it safe to cook tofu salads like that?

Jobs Horns

Only one Fanboy responded??

So only one Fanboy who's "magic toy" just "magically works", responded to this? I suppose there aren't any excuses that can be made when CONSUMER REPORTS changed their rating of the iPhone and actually came out and said what we all know- that it is a DESIGN FLAW, not "held wrong", not "Software glitch making the signal bars appear improper", or that there is "light coming through your ears" to mess with the sensor. THE POS PHONE HAS A DESIGN FLAW. Apple should in fact FIX IT FOR FREE at worst or at the very least, GIVE ALL OF THEIR i Phone 4 customers a free rubber bumper case. It will be interesting to see what happens next.

FAIL

RE: Only one Fanboy responded??

"So only one Fanboy who's "magic toy" just "magically works", responded to this?"

...and there were no posts by people whose iPhones didn't work. Doesn't that hint at something?

Megaphone

To all the excitables out there ....

Sorry to rain on your parade, but Apple pretty much only deletes posts that get the thumbs down from other users. I am sure they have been quite proactive at the moment, but the majority of the deletions will have been for simple infractions such as 'not answering the question' or 'not helping the situation'. The delete recommendations, by and large, come from other users, not from Apple.

The rules are clearly spelled out in the T&C's and a lot of posted get deleted every day as Level 3, 4 and 5 users clear out the whines, the trash and the incorrect.

It happens every year at this time when a new product comes out - its just not news any more.

<sarcasm>

I'm sure Apple would never do anything so underhand, as to have a load of flunkies with multiple user-ids log on and down-vote anything they wanted an excuse to delete.

</sarcasm>

Go

Yes Men

So the forum will accept only posts that are acceptable and likeable and agree with the king of the posters? They stay if a majority of fanbois agree? Wow, definitive group-think at work. Which btw got several US astronauts killed in a shuttle explosion.

Not only group-think at work, but this practice is the very worst kind of social incest. No wonder the Sacred J thinks he's, well, sacred. All he hears and reads is just the good stuff about him.

I have to admit The Register's posters are first class. The bad stuff stays but they get rebutted. Apparently unlike the Apple forums which seem to believe there's only one side to any debate. But then I guess that's one definition of a fanboi.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.