Feeds

back to article For sale: Dr No's Scottish bunker complex

Aspiring Bond villains looking for a "truly unique property" with space for the usual world domination paraphernalia, such as big models of Fort Knox, spacecraft-eating rocket ships and so forth, should check out this Aberdeenshire des res: The Guard House surface building Nice gaff, but the real interest lies beneath the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Thumb Up

Nice grow room

Just need a way to funnel vast amounts of fuel to some diesel generators.

3. Profit!

Go

Damnit!

Beat me to it! Given that it's in Scotland, solar power is out but maybe wind turbines backed up by diesel genys? Using LEDs rather than HIDs would save power.

With any luck there's a nice underground river within easy tunneling distance, that way you get water and hydroelectric power!

Silver badge
Stop

Not such a good grow room guys

With all this advertising, I'd say the cover's kind of blown. It's a pretty safe bet that the local constabulary are very aware of its existence. Should unusually large amounts of whacky-backy suddenly start appearing on the peaceful streets of Aberdeen, there's no cigar (or joint) for guessing the first place the cops are going to look!

Secret underground bunkers are only useful when they are, you know, kind of secret.

Coat

Stop raining on my parade!

There's no need to give up on a perfectly good plan just because it doesn't work...

(besides, you obviously wouldn't shift it in the local area...)

Silver badge
Boffin

Important questions

* Does it have space for a shark tank?

* Does it have a series of cells with locks that can be defeated by a suitably obscure gadget?

* What are the connections like to the National Grid for powering industrial, spy carving lasers or doomsday devices?

* Seriously, does it have space for a shark tank?

Go

Yes.

It has a substantial sewage treatment facility that could easily be repurposed as a shark tank.. You might have to, you know, hold it in then, though.

Ha!

I was at the "Secret bunker" in Fife on Sunday. Very interesting place, fairly cold (temperature stays at a constant 65 deg F (18.33 deg C), the heating system underground costs about £200 an hour to run.

There's also another bunker in Edinburgh on Costorphine hill, unfort. this one was burnt out when a bunch of yobs backed a truck down the tunnel, loaded tyres into the place and set it alight.. the fire burned for 6 days!

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Hmmmm

A constant 65F / 18.33C?

Sounds like a perfect place to put up a data center if you think about it. Then your only worry is how to generate electricity in a cost efficient manner and getting a good internet connectivity.

It looks to be 25-30km from Aberdeen so it would be expensive getting a large data pipe brought in...

Maybe be better as an off site storage for hard drives and tape as part of a DR plan.

Also note that the price says >$250 (That should be British Pounds)

Pint

That's one hell of a party flat

Well, it is Friday.

Unhappy

I think i bought the wrong house

Within a few hundred yards and I never knew it was there. It's cheap too!

Gold badge

Come on, answer the important questions!

Does it have a shark pool?

Happy

Incidentally

Anyone wishing to take this on for business purposes and needing someone to be a live-in caretaker / sysadmin should get in touch....

Silver badge

Sir

Underground paintball location - Tiberius 8 pistols only - with the James Bond theme playing in the background.

Bronze badge
Happy

tick-tock

In the bottom-right image does that sign say "Do not affix time bombs here!"

And why is it movie bombs always have flashing LEDs?

Surely the stuffed rat type bomb from "The Guns of Navarone" would be better.

Happy

Viewed it

Been there, viewed it. It's awesome. Going back in a week and a bit for better site survey. Considering it seriously as a place to live and a business proposition.

Hands off!

Joke

Don't you mean...

Been there, viewed it. It's rubbish. Going back in a week and a bit for better site survey, but not because it's good or anything, you'd hate it.

Black Helicopters

B.J Blaskowitz needed

Is it me or, is it the model for 'underground bunkers' in return to castle wolfenstein.

Thumb Up

I want it!

That is all.

neb
Black Helicopters

me too

arm wrestle you for it?

Thumb Up

Déjà vu

Hmmm if anyone watches the series Breaking Bad, this looks almost identical to the crystal meth lab they use (well minus the equipment). This place would be perfect for those aspiring drug manufacturers!

Thumb Up

been close to there

..its quite remarkable how well such small facilities 'disappear' into the background when looking at maps of the area...and we're such a small island...makes you wonder what can and does lurk around elsewhere..

..anyway, been quite close to this place - Stonehaven is just up the road...a lovely proper castle

(whats left of it!) :-)

Silver badge
Pint

Intriguing?

"It is intriguing to consider what private use in this day and age such a vast underground facility could be utilised for."

Wine cellar!!

Thumb Up

for 250k

that is an absolute bargain and something I would consider purchasing if I wasn't already being assraped for all my money.

Anonymous Coward

Ping-pong

That would be a pretty sweet place to put a ping-pong table. I just hope it's not still listed on a missile targeting database somewhere.

This post has been deleted by its author

Black Helicopters

Hmmmm

The "want" factor is high...

Grenade

Paintball anyone?

There was a HUGE version of one of these went up for sale in America some years ago. No idea if anyone actually bought it. Like that one, this would make a brilliant game location - a paintball or laser-gun type thing.

Of course, it would take a lot fo cash and they all tend to be rather remote places, which sort of makes it difficult

Bronze badge

Uses...

Hmmm, can you say paintball extreme?

Anonymous Coward

meth lab/hydro farm

anything else would be inappropriate

Pool?

For the sharks - obviously

Black Helicopters

There's one in Fife

There's one almost identical to this in Fife operated as a visitor attraction:

http://www.secretbunker.co.uk/explore_the_bunker.asp

It's worth a visit.

there's more...

One in Edinburgh too! Check out the 28 days later website for Edinburgh bunker

Grenade

And Kelveden Hatch

Used to have annual LAN parties down there.

Hearing "nuclear launch detected" from StarCraft in an actual ex-WW2 war room full of computers was always worth a laugh.

Plus, they didn't use to close it to visitors, so you'd have a group of tourists listening to audio guides while we implemented world domination.

Fun times

Black Helicopters

Aerial Perspective

For anyone interested here is the aerial view:

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=56.85189355543685~-2.265845015645027&lvl=17&sty=h&eo=0

Amazing the things you get distracted by when you should be doing something else :-)

Pint

perfect!

throw in some sharks with laser beams and im sold!

TGIF!

machinery

What's the machinery in the bottom right picture?

Boffin

Probably

diesel generator

Black Helicopters

Plant room

That's the big old vintage air con plant and generators - I don' think they're 50s vintage but pretty old. All redundant too, there's two of every system down there.

Gold badge
Boffin

@Nathan Price

"All redundant too, there's two of every system down there."

Given its intended purpose I don't think you'd want you life to hang on a breakdown in the aircon or the gennie.

Joke

Surely they should be asking...

(...raises pinky to corner of smirking gob...)

One million dollars!

Come on people, somebody throw me a frickkin' bone here.

What F'in title

"Again because of the layout of the property no 3rd party insurance liability cover is in place"

Whoa, is that in case of you tripping a death ray security system or the like?

I'm interested now simply because viewing could be considered a danger to your health...lol

Joke

Freakin' lasers

From the Secretscotland site: ...."The site is private and very secure, with two mean and hungry Alsatian dogs patrolling the grounds (24/7). The owner has made it clear he wouldn't welcome visitors..."

What...? No freakin' lasers on the Alsatians...????

Silver badge
Grenade

Lasers, Meh!

Big dogs don't need no steenking lasers.

Thumb Up

But what sort of broadband speeds do they get?

That's the question I'd be asking... I mean surely world domination requires more than basic dialup nowadays.

Rob

Grenade

Can I convince my wife to let me move?

If this is of interest check this site out: -

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/index.shtml

Duff

MrT
Bronze badge
Black Helicopters

It's within my budget...

... but the commute's a bit of a hurdle.

Finally, somewhere to turn the amps up to 11 without annoying the neighbours.

THIS IS AWSOME!

I would use it either as a military art gallery or a dance club or modify it in some way to make it an underground pool resort.

Lots of paint and some digging and wall removal and such.

Would be great for a large company to movie their stuff into.

If it was me I would put the entire EA(Electronic Arts) employees there.

Great place for game programming.

"would put the entire EA(Electronic Arts) employees there"

And then fill the entrance with concrete?

And leave them with nothing

but a copy of ISS.

Police Stop

I want it.

I would love to see the cops on SKY trying to raid that place using their puny enforcer.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.