back to article Sony Ericsson Vivaz Pro Symbian smartphone

I've seen the original Vivaz - reviewed here - and found it to be a bit of a curate's egg: good in parts, though I forgave its quirks in favour of its stylish look and quality camera. Sony Ericsson Vivaz Pro Sony Ericsson's Vivaz Pro: eye-catching and comfortable in the hand Now comes the Vivaz Pro, aimed, as the name …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. [Yamthief]
    FAIL

Why?...

Why are manufacturers still using resistive touch screens?! And why Symbian? Yet another Sony Ericsson phone which will fade in to nothingness.

Just think of the posibilities if they'd put a capacitive touch screen and Android on there?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Android??

If they had put Android in there they would have needed a much faster processor and much more RAM, just to make that dog of an OS run even slightly smoothly. The phone would have cost 600 instead of 350. This is what you get for 350 these days, at least until Symbian^3 hits the market. Symbian is the only low end OS in town unless you are Samsung (and you have BADA)

2. Bassey

Re: Why?

Because we aren't all the same and some people prefer resistive to capacitive. I know it is difficult to comprehend that there may be people out there with different preferences and different usage requirements to you but that's the way it is. Viva la difference!

3. Jean-Paul

I agree

Why? Why anyone would still consider something like that is beyond me. This must be really aimed at anyone who isn't in touch with the market...

If you want to go to a multifunction phone with touch you really need capacitive as a bare minimum, but also at the bottom end RIM (if just email and a bit of browsing is your thing) but want anything more than the only real choices are iPhone or Android based (but again watch out for buying the right hardware...).....

1. Danny 14
      Pint

not really true

Cant say I have ever had a problem with resistive touch screens. Im a multi function user. android doesnt work with a lot of bluetooth hardware and you are at odds to find 1) a phone that has what you want and 2) a manufacturer that offers android upgrades from 1.6 (for instance). Iphones are just laughable for business. Business contracts on iphones were a joke when we did out refresh last year.

We ended up with 20 omnias - fantatsic phones that do everything we wanted.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

omnias

Omnias - fantastic? Blimey.

I never thought I would hear those words in the same sentence.

Oh well - each to their own I suppose.

4. Michael Kean

Resistive touh...

What's wrong with Resistive touch? At least with that, when you use something pointy like a fingernail or a stylus you know exactly where you're touching. On a tiny screen I thought that would be more useful than munging at links with a blunt finger?

1. Giles Jones Gold badge

Simple!

Resistive wears out, resistive gets scuffed, resistive requires a stupid stylus, resistive doesn't do multitouch well.

It's out of date touchscreen technology that belongs in the 90s and 00s.

5. sabroni Silver badge
    Stop

Curates egg

I don't think you mean it was a bit of a curate's egg. A bad egg is inedible, despite any good bits. The curate's a sycophant, trying to appease the bishop by saying parts of his bad egg are excellent. So, unless you mean this phone is totally rubbish with no redeeming features you've used the wrong phrase there... </pedant>

1. Lamont Cranston
      Headmaster

Yes, a bad egg is entirely inedible,

but the curate assured the bishop that parts of his were excellent. Although the curate was merely being sycophantic (a bad egg can have no good parts), the phrase "curate's egg" has fallen into (un?)common usage to apply to anything that, whilst rubbish, has some redeeming qualities.

In this case, the phone is not a good one, in spite of some good features (camera, keyboard).

Tsk.

2. Magnus_Pym

@saboni

Yes the curate is being a sycophant in trying not to appear critical of the bishop. He sought to make out that the egg was some balance of good and bad when the fact is that if the egg is not all good then it is entirely inedible. The point is that the good parts could not redeem the bad egg. This may be what the writer was trying to put across; that the entire phone is bad because not all of it is good. That is surely a truism in the ultra competitive smart phone market. On the other hand it could just be lazy use of metaphor.

Oh noes. I used 'metaphor' and 'truism' in a post about pedantry. That's not going to go so well.

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

omfg

what a pile of complete cr4p, i cannot imagine how sony can think that this product would make us change from iPhone / driod phones.

unless its going to be given away free in a packet of cornflakes.

fail ^ 10 since an ordinary fail cannot describe this phone correctly.

1. Bob Terwilliger
      Badgers

Burn the witch!

Is it worth getting that frothy at a phone?

really?

1. Jason Hall

frothy

Welcome to the internets, you must be new here.

If you aren't shouting about your favourite manufacturer/OS and screaming about how bad the opposition are then you're no-one. :)

7. behzad

When will Sony gets its act together?

I'm stunned that Sony still hasn't caught up yet. The one company that has the potential to truly rival - and beat - Apple in this sphere just isn't bringing up the goods. Perhaps it's time to ditch this Ericsson venture and go it alone? At least for the smart phone sphere.

Sony have some fantastic industrial designers and brands (PlayStation) they could leverage to produce a true prestige product. If only they'd get their bloody act together.

8. Brum7
    FAIL

Resistive screen

Don't knock resistive screens. Along with a stylus they're perfect for scribbling down the shopping list. And which of the smart phones is still going strong in the marketplace after 18 months? None other than the Nokia 5800 with its resistive screen.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like