back to article SCO rises from the dead (again)

SCO has risen from the grave. Again. On June 10, US judge Ted Stewart ruled that Novell does indeed own the UNIX copyrights the The SCO Group so vehemently laid claim to, ending a six-year legal battle between the two. But, yes, SCO has now appealed Stewart's judgment, according to those dogged SCO-watchers at Groklaw. Though …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge
Terminator

This is like a Hollywood slasher movie!

...where the young woman relaxes in the bath with a significant other after having dispatched the Bad Thing ...

... then suddenly!

Joke

hehe

Cept it turned out that the huge knife the 'Bad Thing" thought it was wielding was in fact nothing more than an egg sandwich and a fevered imagination. Even after having this fact pointed out to it, "Bad Thing" has refused to accept this and is now frenziedly squashing its lunch into their chests. Everyone else looks on vaguely bemused.

Pint

can't type for laughing!

Angus, I just love the imagery, it's going to keep me chuckling for hours.

Have virtual pint on me, mate :)

Anonymous Coward

The Return of the Unkillable Zombie Company

coming soon to theaters near you

Grenade

surely you mean...

the TENTH or so installment of a hollywood slasher movie franchise that's lasted for > 20 years and JUST WONT DIE,

much like the Bad Thing (tm) that the often retarded plot centers on?

i'm thinking JasonX, Freddy vs Jason, more recently Saw 1-7 (or whetever it's up to), and of course, the necromancer cult horror-drama series SCO vs Novell - This Time It's Personal II - The Sequel - The Undead Strikes Back

Joke

Egg Sandwich...

Except with a change of wind the egg sandwich blew back into the throat of BAD Thing causing it to choke on its own "murder weapon" an even more bemusing scenario to the onlookers who then die from heart attacks caused by their own laughter.

Damn, BAD Thing won, they died but they won too! Ah well, at least it was bemusing...

Grenade

Oh ffs!

would someone send a handful of these to SCO - with pins removed please!

Silver badge
FAIL

Why can't you DIE already?

Why the hell does this company insist on beating a dead horse? Hell, even the author of the megablunder has been fired for this!

Whoever still has SCO stock and hasn't used it as toilet paper should get them to stop. It's pointless and stupid.

Re:Why can't you DIE already?

Many companies demand money from others while not providing anything of value in return (most software patent trolls, ambulance chasers, etc).

The main thing that distinguishes SCO is that it continues on despite being particularly bad at what it does.

Paris Hilton

the dead horse in question

The problem is that with the whole SCO / Novell / Unix case, the dead horse is SCO.

They may as well rewrite their company charter to "Our reason for being is to launch legal cases to gain control of some copyrights so we can launch more legal cases to gain revenues."

Isn't there something in the USA Law that enables the government to "put down" a company that is acting in this manner ?

{Paris - because she's crying for the poor judge}

Bronze badge
Badgers

Best. Job. Ever.

I want to be a SCO lawyer. Those guys must be raking in the cash, and all they have to do is file motions and send bills to whoever is still running SCO.

I want to be a SCO lawyer

No, you don't!

Boies, Shiller and whatshisface agreed a fixed, capped fee for their services. I believe they are now seriously in the red for their over-confidence in achieving a win.

A quick google for Boies, Shiller (+ muppet) gives the impression they're following SCO around the U-bend. Faster than a dose of salts.

For example: (WSJ) "They have been described by The Wall Street Journal as a “national litigation powerhouse” and by the National Law Journal as “unafraid to venture into controversial” and “high risk” matters."

Yep. Got burned severely this time.

"A good start". ('Patch Adams')

Best Job Ever

If you take CREDIT

Thumb Up

Great!

One set of lawyers down, many more to go, but as you quote, "A good start.".

Bronze badge
Joke

re. I want to be a SCO lawyer

"They have been described by The Wall Street Journal as a “national litigation powerhouse” and by the National Law Journal as “unafraid to venture into controversial” and “high risk” matters."

And by a future copy of the Enyclopeadia Galactica that fell through a timewarp as "A bunch of mindless jerks who were the first against the wall when the revolution came".

Auto-eroticists!

Gates Horns

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

I wonder who is funding them this time?

Gold badge
Flame

It would seem

that only getting *all* the lawyers and senior execs involved in a big room and with several Claymore mines in the centre would end this.*

Not of course that I advocate this because that could be seen as inciting a terrorist incident (use of a military weapon) just saying that only *something* on that scale would seem to be able to end this once and for all.

Silver badge
Happy

RE: It would seem

In the words of Jeff Cooper; "Two to the chest and one to the head, and repeat step two as many times as you think necessary 'cos you can't make someone too dead!"

Seriously, I actually want the SCO management to be selected for England! They love hopeless causes and just don't know when to give up (unlike half the World Cup squad)!

FAIL

"You missed all of my vital spots!"

... said the orc with an arrow sticking through its head.

Does this outfit file public papers about its gross income? It must be in the pennies per month, if that. At some point the lawyers will have to wise up to the concept that they aren't going to get a cent from this.

Flame

Title!

Better to take off and nuke them from orbit. Its the only way to be sure.

El
FAIL

Brief email exchange

SCO Lawyers to SCO CEO: Justice has prevailed!

SCO CEO to SCO Lawyers: Appeal at once!

IT Angle

SCO's mission statement should be

BRAAAAAAAAIIIIINNNNNNS.

Remember, aim your improvised weapons at the head and neck and do NOT, repeat NOT, split up or attempt to burn them with fire.

"IT angle?" because SCO is no longer relevant to the IT world.

Silver badge

Zombie processes

Even zombie processes die if you reboot.

What more needs to be done to kill this beast?

Silver badge

Reboot?

«Even zombie processes die if you reboot.»

Reboot? What are you, some kind of windows freak? I say kill -9 them. Kill -9 them with FIRE!

Thumb Down

kill -whaddaf?

In my book zombie processes are really dead and kill -9 does not help then. I would like to see the U S of A do a reboot though.

Coat

Actually...

kill won't work on zombie processes; they've already died but still live on in the process list (hence the name) but their death hasn't been acknowledged by the parent process doing a wait(pid).

However, the init process should clean them up eventually...

Oh god.... can't believe I was just so geeky.... Mine's the one with the pens in the top pocket....

Silver badge

kill -9 only delivers a non blockable signal. It doesn't really kill anything.

If the target process is a zombie (as in the case of SCO, it's dead just no one has swept up the pieces) or is currently blocked in a high priority, non signalable sleep state, then the SIGKILL will be delivered but will not be acted upon.

To get rid of zombies you need to get the parent process to issue a wait(2) (or equivalent) call or to set SIGCHLD to SIGIGNORE. Since it is typically not possible to get the parent to do this, it is usually necessary to kill the parent process. At which point the orphaned zombie will be inherited by init which will issue the required wait call.

As to the parenthood of SCO, some might argue that given it's recent behaviour, it doesn't actually have any parents, or at the very least it's parenthood is somewhat unknown (even to each other).

On another front, since in it's earliest form it was known as a purveyor of Xenix, so perhaps M$ might be seen as its parent. So hope for it to die is probably too much to ask.

Silver badge

If kill -9 doesn't work, you're doing it wrong

I think you'll find that kill -9 works perfectly well on zombies. Maybe you're doing it wrong. Or, wait do you have a pre-9.3alpha version of kill? in that case you would need to login as root and type "kill -9 -1". Now try that and tell me you still got zombies.

Silver badge

Well, I souldn't tell you this but...

Well Roger me senseless with a sockful of 16 Mo DIMMs if you're not right.

However I was referring to the kill -9 method as a pre-emptive solution, not as a fix. Fixes are for lusers. Appart from the obvious "kill -9 -1" as root followed by some explanation related to *shuffle* *shuffle* Transciently-Induced Heat Sink Low-Limit Uninteruptible Breaker issues (T.I.H.S.L.L.U.B issues. for short and for the slow-minded), everyone knows that the real problem is front-end programs such as word processors or slideshow-building programs which fire up subprocesses and fail to close them properly.

As you mentionned, the kill tool will do nothing if the targetted program is already dead but still locked by its parent, the parent here being (most likely) openoffice, which is written in java with all the java-related problem with garbage collection and memory freeing. So in order to kill the zombie processes you need to prevent the parent process from locking up it's dead children, which is achieved by opening all the documents you're currently working on and disabling the autosave and the version-tracking options. You'll probably also want to remove any previous versions of these files, as they might have the autosave option enabled which would block the whole process. Obviously.

The next steps are a bit tricky and must be performed in the right order or you might lose some valuable data. In order to free up the memory pointers that might have been created by the zombie processes (thus locking them up), you need to select the whole content of the documents you're working on and delete that. Then click the "save" button, and click yes in the popup box. For every document. It's a bit tedious but safety is everyone's responsibility, isn't it? BE VERY CAREFUL as if you did not disable all the autosave and version tracking options the changes will be autosaved and committed to disk instead of just freeing the unused java pointers that lock the zombie processes, and you might lose some data. We wouldn't want that to happen, would we?

It's then time to kill the zombie processes, which should not be tied to anything anymore at that point. That can be done by typing "kill -9 -1" then "enter" in a virtual console. However, during the summer this approach sometimes fails due to the cutoff triggered by the aforementioned

Transciently-Induced Heat Sink Low-Limit Uninteruptible Breaker issues. So overall it's much safer to just pull the plug (after removing the battery in the case of a laptop), to clear any memory of previous thermal events. All modern machines have power-loss recovery mechanisms anyway so it is a harmless way to ensure that these nasty heat sink issues won't propagate.

Immortal orphan zombie?

Indeed, the troublesome thing is an orphan zombie that gets adopted by init but still doesn't go away. (I imagine that is usually a bug.) Reminds me of the dumbest thing I ever saw happen in Solaris: The print listener service failed in such a way that one of its constituent processes became an immortal orphan zombie, and SMF would not allow me to restart the service because that process was still there. It must have been caused by a kernel bug, because it shouldn't be possible. It was like that for months until, eventually, the problem was solved by a power failure.

Alas, SCO would still be there if the power went out.

WTF?

Please, someone explain somthing for me

Three trials, three fails

How can they go on appealing?

Isn't there some limit on this?

Or can they just keep appealing forever and day?

They have also cancelled their last four bankruptcy hearings. How are they not in chapter 7?

The system is fucked!

Big Brother

Simple - American legal system

You get what you deserve..

Only the lawyers know.

Maybe, somewhere deep in the hideous, convoluted, maddening depths of American tort law, there is a clause like:

Appeals may continue until they have lost their comedic value.

Maybe there still getting funded by the beast?

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1032249/microsofts-sco-involvement-revealed

mt1
FAIL

Read article befpre posting a link please

Just wondering if you actually read the link you posted?

They invested no money and the guy got sacked lol

Flame

Not the first time

This isn't the first time someone has tried to sell a significant engineering artefact it turned out they didn't own:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Lustig#Eiffel_Tower_scam .

The difference between the claimed "intellectual property" SCO was offering and the alledged scrappage rights to the Eiffel Tower which Victor Lustig offered in 1925, is that the US courts have demonstrated willingness to spend years considering SCO's equally bogus case despite the evidence of ownership being almost as contrived.

Flame

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

From the mythbusters: I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Sounds about right. Can anyone tell us why the gouv appointed trustee asn't stoped all the legal crap and fired the lawers? Surelly, he should realise this is all just a large waste of what cash they may have left

Silver badge

Because.

He's getting the lawyers essentially for free.

Joke

x

No matter how many times you stab this mouldering corpse through the heart with the silver-tipped, holy-water soaked, sharpened shaft of a crucifix, the beast just doesn't have the decency to stay dead.

game rights

They could sell the game rights to the Resident Evil franchise, with Darl, Yarro et. al. as opponents, and Boise et. al. as the cannon fodder. They'd make a fortune from all of us who really really want to shoot those bastards in the face. Repeatedly. With different weapons.

Something stinks in that whole business. Why is the trustee allowing this farce to continue? Why haven't they just been put into Chapter 7? Why aren't they lifting the corporate veil and going after the assets of Darl and others who have swindled the company for millions? So many questions. Only so much ammo.

Anonymous Coward

Burn Sco Burn

Money that is.

Blown burned and wasted. Just desserts IMHO

Silver badge

But think of the lawyers!

What are they gonna do once this thing is over? Better to keep them locked into this old battle then setting them free to wreak havoc on the 21st century!

Silver badge

As I said back in April ...

"Isn't it about time for the next Judge in this matter to take SCO's lawyers aside and explain what kind of effect him/her smacking them with a Rule 11 "frivolous litigation" contempt charge would have on their career?"

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/post/752768

Pint

Myth #8

I think that's one of those principles that we all think SHOULD exist, but we have ample proof that if it does, it's seldom exercised.

Besides, Phil Hartman said it's a myth anyway.

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/92/92cgreen1.phtml

SCO fhtagn!

That is not dead which can eternal sue...

US tort law: Worse than the Necronomicon.

If only I could come up with a suitable conclusion to this couplet.

Terminator

Oh ffs !

Just F.O.A.D. SCO. Someone please put them out of our misery.

Silver badge

Where & When do we call in an ICBM strike?

Can someone establish the coordinates for the lawyers? Seems like this about the only thing that will dispatch this problem "with extreme prejudice". Apparently this is what is required to terminate this.

Well, maybe a vat of liquid metal?

We keep getting "I'll be back". This is a terminator movie, or am I dreaming?

Thumb Down

management, not lawyers...

the lawyers only do what their client is asking...

Silver badge

AHAHAHAHAHA!

Yes! YES! Igor! Throw the third switch! LIVE! LIVE! AHAHAHAHAHA!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums