back to article iPad not hindering Mac sales

Apple's other product line - you remember the Mac, don't you? - is apparently doing rather well, despite the fact that the iPad and iPhone 4 are getting all the attention at the moment. So says long-time Apple watcher Gene Munster, of investment company Piper Jaffray, after taking a look at retail sales data from market …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Chris Pearson
    Go

Not that surprising

I was in Apple store Kingston on iPhone 4 Saturday and they must have sold about 3-4 iMacs and a few macbooks while I waited for my Genius appointment. That's more than I have seen sold in the Regent Street store in the same time.

2. LuMan
    Troll

Hmm..

In fairness, we're talking of three different areas here, though. One's a phone (sort of), one's a tablet-gizmo-thing and one's a (proper)* computer. I can't see the impact of one against the other as most people will probably have an example of each (not necessarily Apple solutions).

It would be interesting to see how Mac sales have done against 'normal' PC sales as I can imagine both markets will be climbing at the mo.

*By 'proper' I mean an actual desktop or laptop regardless of type, so please stand-down anti-Apple-fanboitards!!

3. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
    WTF?

Um?

Can someone explain to me why iPad sales would be expected to hit Mac sales? They are two entirely different types of device.

GJC

4. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Proof

...that people are stupid

1. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

RE: Proof

"Proof ...that people are stupid"

You missed a bit out. I'll fix it for you:

"Proof ...that people are stupid is that they're still sticking with Windoze"

2. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Kudos

...for self-proving your own argument.

QED

*clap*

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Robert Moore
    Jobs Horns

Proof

This seems like proof that iPads are a gateway drug.

They must be stopped.

7. Wake up befor you sleep thru windows last crash...
    Thumb Up

Stupid assumption in the first place--netbook will suffer, not Macs!

It's up, up, up from here, baby.

8. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Other Apple products

"Can someone explain to me why iPad sales would be expected to hit Mac sales?"

Because Apple (and probably Steve Jobs) said it would. And a lot of people believe anything and everything they say. Surely they wouldn't predict IPhone destroying the (non-IPhone) market and IPad destroying the PC & Mac market, just to hype them? 8-)

Yeah. I'm not surprised -- IPad is not a PC replacement. However, if people buy an IPad or IPhone, and like it, then they may look into other Apple products.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Actually

It is an appropriate device for some users. Since I already have a number of laptops that show no signs of breaking, It will be a while before I buy anything--- but I cannot imagine doing without a built-in CD/DVD..... So I am apparently not an iPad type.(Actually I am too cheap would be a more honest statement).

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Logarithmic tables

not hindering pocket calculator sales.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like