back to article Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Mini

Presumably reasoning that the Xperia X10 - reviewed here - is a little on the large side, Sony Ericsson has cooked up two diminutive variations on the theme: the Xperia X10 Mini and the Qwerty keyboard equipped X10 Mini Pro. Xperia X10 Mini Sony Ericsson's Xperia X10: diminutive Maybe calling them the X6 and X7 was just …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. nordwars
    Headmaster

Beebplayer discontinued

Regarding your comment about BeebPlayer not showing in the market place, you can't blame SE for that - it has been discontinued and removed by the developer - http://androidforums.com/android-applications/84573-beeb-player-alternative.html

2. benjymous

Thickbuttons

If you really want a Qwerty Keyboard, you can install ThickButtons : http://www.thickbuttons.com/

I've tried it on mine, and it works, although the buttons are still a bit teeny to type on - I found I could type much faster going back to the 9 key predictive text system you get by default.

I've had my x10 mini for about 3 weeks now, and am, on the whole, very happy with it. The only quirks I've found is that it has a habit of losing wifi signal until you turn the wifi off and on again (though this may be related to my ancient belkin router, as I haven't noticed the problem when connected to other hotspots) and its weird habit of being a bit sleepy in the mornings when it wakes to sound an alarm, leaving you stabbing frantically at the snooze button trying to make it shut up until it registers the press

1. Danny 14

aye

although it isnt free, SWYPE is a fantastic replacement too. I can use swype faster than a small qwerty keyboard most of the time.

3. Jim 48

BeebPlayer

The BeebPlayer has been removed from the Market by it's author; http://davejohnston.posterous.com/?tag=beebplayer

4. Peter Bond
    Thumb Up

Nice little handset

The other half got one of these last week and despite my reservations it's not half bad. Maybe just a little too small, but very easy to slip into a jacket pocket without ruining the hang of the old whistle and surprisingly easy to use. Makes my Desire look like a breeze block when you put the two side by side. Impressive battery life too.

5. Al Taylor
    Thumb Up

@ nordware

Ah, that would explain it! Thanks for the heads up.

6. mrdalliard

Nice

My partner has just given her Blackberry curve up for the new Mini Pro - the same, but with a sideways slide-out keyboard. Most people would probably want the real keyboard instead, I would imagine. Nice device, though, but it does have a constraint or two. Some we've already noticed is the selective implementation of cut/paste and the inability to save a picture that someone sends you into your own gallery (you can add it to a contact or use it as a wallpaper, but can't save it). Hopefully that'll be rectified in a future release.

7. EdC

Alternate iPlayer app

There is another bbc iplayer app on the android store. Search for myPlayer. It was very flaky at the start but its working much better now (though needs more work on the interface).

8. K Price

Games are missing because...

by default QVGA screens aren't supported by an Android application - the developer has to explicitly specify in the application manifest that 320x240 screens should be supported. This is basically all the developer needs to do - apps get automatically downscaled to the smaller screen perfectly fine without a single line more code required other than this XML attribute set to true - but unless developers remember to do this, it won't appear in Market.

9. Neil 51
    Happy

Yup, not a bad phone

Got one last week - Was a bit wary as it's my first touchscreen phone (I like proper buttons) but I'm liking it so far and no problems with the small screen. I wanted a small phone to use mostly as an mp3 player and this fits into my pocket quite nicely. One thing I would say is that the shipped music player app can be a wee bit iffy, so any suggestion of a good replacement is welcome.

10. Robert E A Harvey
    Thumb Up

Don't know about the phone,

but 12/10 for "Android 'andset".

11. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

a bit too small?

i havent used it, but those dimensions are a little too small from just a quick square drawn

on paper...i think the smallest I'd want to go for such a device is the HTC Wildfire

http://www.htc.com/www/product/wildfire/specification.html

12. Mr Brush
    Unhappy

Yes but...

Android 1.6? Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Custom UI? Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!

New phone should be running 2.1 as a minimum, and custom UIs just complicate things further.

13. Lottie
    Thumb Up

Looks impressive

I'm looking around for a decent smallish smartphone. This looks promising!

14. Torben Mogensen

Not free

You say the X10 mini is "free with contract" from several providers. This is a contradiction in terms, and it is definitely not free -- the monthly costs are increased over standard contracts so as to cover the cost of the phone.

If you want to mention a price, mention the minimum total cost during the contract period. All other prices are suspect, and "free" most of all.

15. Mike Moyle
    Flame

I'm shocked -- SHOCKED, I say...!

No "Non-user-replaceable battery...? How DARE they!??!" whingers...?

Maybe you could change the title to something with "Apple" or "Jesus phone" to lure them in? I mean, SURELY, it couldn't be that it's only an issue for them when the product comes from Cupertino...

FLAME ON!

16. Kathode Ray
    Happy

Sunny Swinton

The town hall and memorial gardens are looking good. El Reg gets about

17. EvilGav 1

X10 Mini Pro

I bought one of these at the weekend and it does have a user replacable battery, as well as the physical keyboard and is only £20 more than the Mini.

The tiny screen is remarkably usable and the form factor is such that you don't notice carrying it around.

18. Rob Davis

SonyEricsson making a comeback: dinky size, flourishing Android OS, microSD not memorystick

A Xenon bulb flash would have been welcome, but at least there is an LED one, rather than not at all.

I'd go for the mini pro though for the qwerty keyboard as predictive text becomes tiresome sometimes.

19. spencer

picked up a mini pro on monday...

Really good phone, one thing to consider if you pick one up (a pro) is that it doesn't have any sort of prediction or spellcheck.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like