Feeds

back to article One third of Brits are gamers

Blame Farmville, blame iPhone apps, blame mini-shockwave games, but we are all gamers now. Or to be a precise, a third of us - those British men (34 per cent) and women (31 per cent) who say they are gamers. This is the finding of the 2010 survey into European gaming attitudes, compiled by the ISFE and ELSPA, two trade bodies. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Hell no

What doesn't count as being a gamer:

Shockwave/flash browser games, or most browser games in general

Facebook games

Sudoku, card games, mahjong

Wii sports style games, fun as they can be

"brain training" type games

Calling yourself a gamer because you play these kind of things alone is a bit like calling yourself a "foodie" because you enjoy the occasional macdonalds for lunch.

Go

Gamers? pffft!

it all is nicely explained here:

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=282

FAIL

So

An adult who reads comics thinks gaming is for losers.

Interesting.

Badgers

I don't think there's been an increase in number.

"ELSPA also notes the rise of the "bedroom delveoper" who create mini games.."

I think these kind of game writers have always been around. I remember 'public domain' disks and tapes available in computer shops for the C64 and amiga. And I'm sure before then spotty teenagers were coding away in their bedrooms on their BBCs and Ataris.

The difference is that nowadays the hordes of such developers can have their stuff online and reach a much wider audience.

Paris Hilton

Nero fiddled while Rome burned.

Oh dear. Someone find me a good quote about decadence, decline and collapse. Paris because I bet she doesn't have time to play Farmville.

Bronze badge

I've always thought of "gamers" as a pejorative term,

referring to those greasy teenagers who do little more than play WoW/CoD every chance they get, and label everyone else as a "n00b" or "fag".

Eh, maybe the term is being reclaimed. Like "queer" - I'm sure gamers will love that!

This topic is closed for new posts.