Feeds

back to article Fake IBM playboy pleads guilty

A 36-year old Dutch man conned thousands of pounds out of show jumpers and horse riding fans by claiming to be the son of a big boss at IBM. George Carlo Schouten of Finchampstead, Berkshire said his old man was helping out by sponsoring his show jumping team, a Reading court heard yesterday. He convinced one of Britain's best …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

£360 per day?

£360 per day? £93600 per annum?

I guess with a previous conviction for fraud, it was the only job he could get. And they say crime doesn't pay.

"Prison sentence was likely". He stole a minimum of £70000, and the sentence was "likely". How much does one need to steal to make it mandatory?

360 per day

I have a feeling that's actually £360 a week before tax, even still it's a high wage, knowing the average wage for a stable hand is around £12-13k.

Silver badge

log10 error

That's got to be £36 per day. Or I'm in the wrong job. Or my wife's not telling me something.

Bronze badge
WTF?

Error indeed.

There's that, plus the "playboy lifestyle" presumeably wearing IBM-branded jockey stuff. Doubt it gives you VIP access anywhere, and only access to clubs you don't want to be.

WTF?

I'm in the wrong job!

"His defending barrister said he wished to repay the money and was currently working as a labourer in a stables in Sussex for £360 a day."

£360 per day x 5 days per week x 50 weeks per year = £90K a YEAR as a LABOURER, where do I sign up, greedy bastard!

Stop

£360 a day!

"[he is] currently working as a labourer in a stables in Sussex for £360 a day". Some mistake surely? That'd be upwards of 80k a year!

WTF?

How much?

£360 per day? As a labourer? It can't be that unpleasant shovelling horse shit that they need to pay that much...

Anonymous Coward

Even his barrister fell for his lies?

£360 a day for playing a stable hand? If that's even true it's before taxes. But knowing the guy's previously convicted for fraud, I don't believe a word of it.

WTF?

£360......

£360 a day? as a labourer?

I'm sure the barrister didn't think that sounded outrageous considering that barristers charge that by the hour.

£360 a day for shovelling shit?

I'm in the wrong industry...

WTF?

WHAT ???

£360 a day, for shovelling shit !????

Pass me a shovel - I'm sooo in the wrong job...

Anonymous Coward

Another rags to riches story

>A 36-year old Dutch man conned thousands of pounds out of show jumpers and horse riding fans by claiming to be the son of a big boss at IBM.

He was claiming to be Bill Gates? Oh, wait, that was different sort of relationship.

Silver badge

£360 a day?

£1,800 a week? £~86,000 a year? Screw IT, I'm off to muck-out stables!

£360 per day?

And yes there is an echo!

Are there any jobs going? I wouldn't mind shovelling poo for that that wage.

WTF?

I would shovel shit for that amount

read title

WTF?

What?!?

"His defending barrister said he wished to repay the money and was currently working as a labourer in a stables in Sussex for £360 a day"

This is a joke, right? Typo? Mis-print?

£360 PER DAY for shovelling shit? REALLY? I'm in the wrong job.

FAIL

The gullible...

and money are soon separated.

If a deal looks to good to be true, it is.

360 quid a day to shovel shit!!!

Hand me a shovel!

Coat

how much per day !!!

if you can £360 per day working in a stables mucking out horses sh*t i'm in the wrong profession.

i'm to find a new job.

Anonymous Coward

If he really is working in a stable and paying the money back

Then putting him in prison is a really bad idea. In prison he costs the tax payer £100 a day. It should be easy enough to stop him reoffending while he's on parole.

Bronze badge
FAIL

You'll be his next victim ..

... if you believe things like that. The people I have known ordered to receive compensation from crooks never got a penny. The legal system is too overloaded to bother with things like that - unless you are prepared to pay a lawyer to pursue what will almost certainly be a wild goose chase.

Anyway, how could you (among others) expect to get £30k back from a guy earning only £360 a week (assuming that amount was meant), even with the best will in the world.

One-to-One compensation alone is no deterrent anyway. As long as the chance of getting caught AND having to pay back is <100%, committing the crime is a worthwhile deal for a crook.

Alert

Confirmation required

Can El Reg please confirm the day rate, as I'm waiting to tell my boss where to stick the job so I can go and shovel shit for good money.

I emailed the Telegraph ...

... in disbelief, and Andrew Hough replied;

Hello,

Thanks for your email.

Yes as unbelievable as it sounds, that is what his lawyer told the court yesterday. £20k in 3 months?

Cheers

Andrew

So c'mon you lot, bollox to IT, we've got shit to shovel!

Boffin

Finchamstead, Berkshire

OH MY GOD!... 1st time in god knows how many years of being an ever loyal reghead have I actually known someone spoken about in the news... I am from the Finchampstead area of Berky!!! how wierd

This topic is closed for new posts.