back to article Southpaws up in arms over iPhone 4

Apple has brought down the wrath of the UK's lefthanders after Steve Jobs' insensitive advice on how to use the firm's brand new on-again-off-again iPhone 4. Jobs advised iPhone 4 buyers that the reason they were losing reception was down to the way they're holding the device - so, people just need to avoid gripping it in the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Jobs Halo

As a lefty

Am I concerned as a lefty? No.

I will either hold it so my fingers don't touch the antenna.

Or like most sensible people, I'll be putting a case on it to protect it both physically and to prevent accidental touching of the aerials.

That or I'll just not worry about it and live with it, like again, most normal people.

Thumb Down

Actually...

...if you look at the stats, most normal people don't have an iPhone 4.

like normal people?

most normal people don't get iphones in the first place.

FAIL

Imagine if you used that same reasoning whilst buying a car

Using your reasoning, imagine if you purchased a car and that everytime you touched a particular part of the stearing wheel the lights on the front of your car shorted out. Would you still be happy buying a cover for your steering wheel? I would assume most sensible people would call this a design flaw.

But hey, if you need Jobsy to teach you how to hold a phone then who am I to tell you otherwise?

FAIL

No iPhone 4 for you then...

...as that shiny metal band between the screen and the rear of the phone is the antenna.

FAIL

RE: Imagine if you used that same reasoning whilst buying a car

Well, being left-handed I can tell you this for nothing - I can't find a way to hold my phone and cover the lower left hand corner with my fingers. Not unless I deliberately cover the lower left hand corner with my fingers...

So to take your analogy further:

You hear a man in the pub complain about his car and how he touches the steering wheel in a certain way and the lights go out. Then you tell your mate and he tells his mate and soon the whole world is talking about it. Talking about it even though it sounds like a sack of shit to anyone who has ever driven a car because it involves touching the steering wheel with your genitals while facing backwards and having one foot in the back seats.

Very simple

If you CONSIDERED a car where the lights shorted out every time you touched the steering wheel, wouldn't you choose a DIFFERENT car?

There's LOTs of options out there other then the iCrapPhone, consider them.

FAIL

Ok then by your analogy

I assume that placing a cover on the steering wheel and then "touching it with your genitals while facing backwards and having one foot in the back seats" would solve the issue of your lights not shorting out? If so, I think your lights shorting out will be the least of your problems whilst trying to drive.

But in reply to your analogy, are you saying that you love rubbing your iphone against your genitals? A picture of jobsy as the wallpaper perhaps?

Gold badge

As a righty

I hold phones in my left hand.

Silver badge

As a lefty...

I hold my phone (not an iPhone) in my right hand. It leaves my left hand free to write notes.

also as a righty....

I too hold my phone in my left hand...

Jobs Horns

As a rightly

As do I...

It's very important to keep the right hand free for smacking iTards.

Thumb Up

Lefty holding phone in right hand

Yep, me too.

Jobs Halo

Change

Change your left-handedness. Not that big of a deal.

Thumb Up

Surely thats....

Change your products hideaous design flaws, not that big of a deal

There, sorted it for ya!

FAIL

Surely lefites would be ok?

I'm right handed yet have always held my phone with my left hand, this frees up my right hand for doing useful things rather than just holding a phone.

Joke

I suppose...

You have video on your phone!

FAIL

RE: Surely lefites would be ok?

As a lefty, I'm sure I won't be the first to tell you that my fingers are closer to the bottom right of the phone (in fact they're on it. My thumb is at the middle left of the phone...

I'm pretty sure that this (as usual) us much ado about nothing.

Like the last Apple upgrade that supposedly failed. Yes, it did - for a total of less than 10 people worldwide...

Why is this a lefty issue?

I'm right handed, so I hold my iPhone in my left hand and tap at the screen with my right. This means the bottom left hand corner is covered by my left hand. So why is this a lefty issue? It seems more likely to be a righty issue to me, or at least a problem for either if you like to operate the phone one-handed...

Stop

Not just south paws

I am right handed and I am incapable of holding a phone to my head in my right hand for more than is absolutely necessary. It just feels wrong.

Silver badge
Jobs Horns

As a righty

I hold my phone the same way that lefties apparently hold them, so I will get a phone I can hold any way I want rather than one I can only hold the Jobsian approved way.

Thumb Down

Right handed too

I'm right handed but I hold my mobile with my left hand. Seems logical to me - it leaves my right hand free to take notes, type, use a mouse, pick my nose, whatever...

I have an iPhone 3GS and want to upgrade to an iPhone 4. I was going to as soon as I could, but I'm glad I haven't yet. I've never liked putting a case on my iPhone - I buy a sleek, compact phone for a reason, and want it to fit discreetly in my pocket.

I will wait for Apple to fix this problem before upgrading. Early adopters can put up it however they like.

Silver badge

Rights for Lefties?

As a leftie I use my right hand for the mouse, I also use cutlery right-handed - it means the fork action is far superior to a righty.

I'm also the one who gets to open jars and anything else which needs unscrewing as the grip needs to be left-handed.

Can't see why any leftie would use thier left hand to hold a phone - too bloody cack-handed.

WTF?

title here

"it means the fork action is far superior to a righty"

What?!?!?!

Oh! How I wish my ability to scoop and stab food with my fork wasn't so impaired by my cursed right hand usage!!!

Who will rid me of this foul left handed god who mocks my feeble right hand with his superior fork handling?!?!

Honestly just fuck off... you are too stupid to be allwed the use of either a fork or knife

FAIL

You've missed the point...

Holding a knife and fork "the right-handed way" means holding your knife in your right hand. A left-handed person will have greater dexterity in their left hand hence the inclusion in his post.

The rest seems to be less about you missing the point and more about you just wanting to shout.

Good luck with that.

Anonymous Coward

Get a life

It cites other problems such as "hugging", "taking neighbours drink/bread roll at dining table" and "organising files back to front".

As a life long leftie (more than 50 years) I would suggest the above problems are due more to being a thicko than victimisation by society at large. (and no I don't own any Apple kit).

Silver badge

Agreed.

I've never felt particularly discriminated against, except when attempting to use a pen at the post office (oh no, I'd better sue). Hugging, eating/drinking and organising files have all been carried out with ease, not to mention operating a mobile phone.

Joke

Hugging???

ewww...*shudder*.

I'm a real man...I don't "hug". None of this metrosexual crap for me.

Joke

A real man?

Real men don't go "Eeeuw..."

Joke

Hugging?

We weren't hugging, we were... rugby tackling each other.

FAIL

As a lefty...

I'd want the very expensive phone to work when I pick it up... not a big ask.

I wouldn't put up with it, I wouldn't work around it, I'd demand a fix or money back.

Anonymous Coward

Confusing reports...

Design flaw, or software fault? I read elsewhere that a software update is coming today, Monday, to 'fix' the issue. I'd post a link only I don't know if linking to other news sites is against the Register forum policy :)

As for lefties being outraged, well, as this report indicates most right handed users will often want to hold a phone left handed. So 99.99% of the phone-using population could be affected.

Anyway, if you're going to insist His Holyness should employ more lefties then you could just as argue that he should emply more people with hooks instead of hands. After all they might want to use a mobile phone too!

The software update...

...will be a big flashing graphic saying "WRONG HAND!" when the tilt sensor figures out you are holding it left handed. Maybe it will make a "whoop whoop" noise too.

Iphone tiring you out? There's a nap for that.

Anonymous Coward

hugging?

what's their problem with hugging?

aaanyway. Steve Jobs releases a product that puts style so far above function that it doesn't even work. oooh shocker.

When was the last time you heard a serious phone company using cop outs like "don't hold it like that", "you have to wear a garlic necklace when you use it" and "you shouldn't have removed it from it's original packaging"

No, they recognise that their phones will be used and abused, with or without a protective case - sometimes even to make phone calls - and they design them as such.

There's a good reason your TV set doesn't use it's casing as an aerial - because that would be the kind of corner cutting you'd expect from a slack dumbass who's probably designed more coke-bottle bongs than he has PCBs. Time for Steve to get a grip himself I think.

Jobs Horns

Time for Steve to get a grip himself I think??

I think the problem is that he's already doing that almost to the exclusion of anything else!

Silver badge
Happy

Holding phones

Actually, last time I looked at a phone's supplied handbook (for a Nokia 6310i, I think, so a while ago) it had a big section on how to hold it so as not to interfere with the signal. Shame, 'cos I love a good Apple-lynching as much as the next man, especially if the next man is Steve Ballmer.

GJC

"what's their problem with hugging?"

Inappropriate nose bumping in hugs between lefties and righties.

Lefties have a tendency to move one way, righties the opposite way.

(35 years as a lefty, plenty of inappropriate nose bumping)

Hang on a minute....

So. if i'm left handed I hold the phone in the right hand and type with my left, I assume? (Because I'm right handed and hold the phone in my left hand and type with my right).

It seems to me that it's actually easier to keep the lower left-hand side of the phone clear if you hold it in your right hand (ie if you're a lefty freak) than for normal people who hold it in the left hand and control it with their right hand.

I suspect there's a lot of deliberate whining going on rather than any serious problem. But then I don't have an iphone 4 yet.

FAIL

FFS get a grip :D

We have a new iPhone 4, hold anyway you like the signal is great - no worse than the 3GS or any other phone.

what a load of media bollocks and hype.

Badgers

Thats because .....

..... I dont think it affects you so much if you have hairy palms.

Thumb Up

RE: FFS get a grip :D

...and the only person who has used one - in other words the only person who actually has a valid opinion on using one) has his post downvoted because he tells it how it is?

Just goes to show the bias/low IQ (delete as applicable) of the readers here at El Reg!

Grenade

@ Anonymous Coward

>...and the only person who has used one - in other words the only person who actually has a valid opinion on using one)

It is being reported that 1.7 million have sold since launch. You are not that special ma'am.

>has his post downvoted because he tells it how it is?

No, your post was down ranked because you are wrong. Wrong, just like touching children is wrong. The iPhone issue, unlike the Tooth Fairy, is real.

FAIL

a lefty

When I heard the Jobs comment I was amazed he could forget about leftys. Also just a side comment my 3GS lives in a pouch sort of BlackBerry style case but I slide it out to use. I am a massive fan of iPhone but seems to me, as a lefty that don't use a case when using the phone, the iPhone 4 is completely flawed.

Thumb Down

Confused

I'm a lefty but I hold a phone in my right hand. I can then type or write with my left hand, or even push buttons on the phone with my left hand.

So if I was a righty I would be MORE likely to hold the phone in my left hand and experience these signal problems?

I have a ShinyPhone 3GS and have it in a leather case to protect it from scratches. This case often interferes with the phone's ability to tell when I am trying to use the touchscreen. This is an example of hardware that Is Not Perfect. Am I ranting about it? No.

Re Confused

"I'm a lefty but I hold a phone in my right hand"

No "but" about it. You do it to free up your dominant hand for purposes that need it. Which don't include merely holding it to your ear.

JDX
Gold badge
Badgers

Or maybe...

...buy a phone which works without a special hand-position? Unless this is intentional, like a Apple Masonic handshake?

FAIL

Funny

Does the reception drop whenever someone holds any given smart phone (excluding iPhones) when being held with the left hand in open space with good reception? No.

When you buy a car which has a brake design flaw, you don't use your feet to stop the car as a solution. You go there and return the car and your money.

Covering the iPhone 4 with a case or holding it with finger tips as if the surface was hot is a remedy, not a real solution.

FAIL

Who cares?

Buy a proper phone that has been designed properly, AND not locked in to Jobsian whims! There are so many decent smartphones around today, or due any time now, why bother with this shit?

OK, I wouldn't purchase a Google phone either, for the same reason I don't use Google search - Google cannot be trusted and are clearly as evil as Jobs.

Anonymous Coward

to add to the crowd

I also hold the phone cradled in my left hand to type away with the right, the 'natural' position for this quite happily recreates the reception problem position. Its been quite the joke in our house, no-one seems quite able to believe this wasnt picked up during testing.

This post has been deleted by its author

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums