Feeds

back to article NVIDIA blog bitchslaps Intel

An email from my friendly NVIDIA rep called my attention to this recent blog post from Andy Keane, head GPU honcho at NVIDIA. In the post, Keane thoroughly pounds Intel for presenting a paper titled Debunking the 100x GPU vs. CPU Myth which, in its abstract, asserts that an older NVIDIA GPU (the GTX280) is only 2.5x faster than …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Thumb Down

Intel needs to be slapped

Their support (or glaring lack thereof) of GMA500 or Poulsbo support for Linux AND Windows is SHAMEFUL.

FAIL

Intel is all hype

Intel's believes their experience with Larrabee is ipso facto proof that accelerators are not all that that are hyped to be. It's because they live by Grove's law; if Intel can't do it, it can't be done.

Grenade

Accelerators are all hype

If they're so good, why do they not benefit the good of the common people?

By common, I mean professionals who don't work in medical science or astrophysics.

I have a Quadro FX 3800 and while it accelerates some things, that's down to the drivers not CUDA or OpenCL. A Fermi card would be faster, but then Autodesk, for example, wouldn't support it, rendering my expensive support contract useless.

This is an industry full of figures and multipliers, and while they make interesting reading they still mean squat to most people.

But they do:

>> If they're so good, why do they not benefit the good of the common people?

But they do, just not in the same context. Remember that these are primarily graphics accelerators, used by the likes of young techheads like me to render impressive looking games.

There's also a number of CUDA accelerated video encoding tools, PhysX provides GPU accelerated physics processing for games and simulations, so on and so forth.

I love my GTX 480 :)

This topic is closed for new posts.