Feeds

back to article Google outs source code for Android 2.2

Google released the source code for Android 2.2, aka "Froyo", was released on Wednesday, and it's using an over-the-air update to load the new version on existing Nexus One phones. "Today is one of those days that has my heart racing; we’ve just released the source code for Android 2.2," wrote Google software engineer Jean- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Updating

There is also a patch for updating from FRF72 to FRF80, I've applied it and it works.

Thumb Up

Great..

..now all I need is for HTC to confirm some Froyo goodness for the Legend.

OFI
Unhappy

htc

So how many more months until htc get their version out? :-(

Thumb Down

2.2!?

2.2 is all well and good but most of us are still waiting for HTC and the networks to deliver 2.1!

Happy

HTC Desire 2.1

LOL Nice and shiny...

Anonymous Coward

Rushed?

Quote: "While waiting for your Android phone to be Froyo-fied, remember the sage advice from one poster on Google's Android forum: "Everyone relax. You can't rush software. Well, you can, and it's called Windows Vista.""

Hmm, how is an OS that was almost half a decade late in delivery an example of being rushed? It might have been shit but it was far from rushed.

Silver badge

Only half a decade?

Well, it was rushed in the fact that although half a decade late, it should have been a whole decade late - so it could be tested a little more....

Headmaster

Large gap between releases doesn't mean it wasn't rushed.

It was rushed in that, after working on a replacement for XP for a few years, they binned almost everything they had done then did a rush job on what was eventually released as Vista.

HTC Desire to get Froyo "within 2 weeks"

Apparently. According to some bloke who heard it from another bloke whose mum once slept with someone who used to work for HTC.

LOL... I wish.

I'd love it to be out that quickly but even I know it ain't gonna happen. Maybe I should have got a Nexus One instead of the Desire.

Do we know when it will happen, even what year, yet...? I love Eclair but am looking forward to trying Froyo.

By the way, good to see you again, James. I used to enjoy watching your Radio Show on late night TV when I was a teenager.

Thumb Down

So much Fragmentation already

Froyo update for the Motorola Droid / Milestone pushed back and back and back - such a pain! Android 2.1 is just broken, VPN doesn't work and no wifi tethering without rooting it.

FAIL

Moto Droid Owner

I've been running Froyo for 2 weeks now on my Droid. Just root the phone, download rom manager, and install bugless beast 0.2.1 Froyo. Process will take 15 minutes.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Excellent

Those of us in the Samsung i5700 world have been waitingfor the sources to go public for a while now, and there are enough talented devs to make it work. Samsung testing it on the i5700 aught to help - if they don't want to use it, they can release the stuff they have been working on and let us play with it.

Hopefully a homebrew 2.2 image won't be long - 2.1 works perfectly well.

Steven R

Gold badge
Unhappy

So...

...two years before Bellus releases Froyo for thier phones?

This topic is closed for new posts.