Feeds

back to article Diary of a somebody - life in iPhone 4 land

Our correspondent works at a phone store somewhere in the UK. We can't tell you which, because if we do he'll probably lose his job. What we can tell you is that it's one of the ones without any iPhones... June 23rd 08:00 Arrived in work to wait on the delivery. The new iPhone is due out tomorrow so it should hopefully be chock …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

This post has been deleted by its author

Thumb Up

Maybe you should read into it a bit more

I thought it was an interesting observation of the effects of the Apple hype machine, effects on both providers and consumers and ultimately the falseness of it all, all from the eyes of a (wo?)man on the ground.

Great article.

FAIL

Point taken but...

The headline would have been better as "Staff bullied by employer and general public at phone non-launch".

Those staff unlucky enough to be in pretty much any Apple reseller are between a rock and a hard place. I think this article describes their situation perfectly whilst demonstrating very clearly that the general public, you and I, are being played by the marketing drones.

If the various shops put a big sign in the window a day or two back "We have n iPhone 4's to sell on Thursday" then there would be far less stress on employees and customers. The resellers will have know for days what the situation was going to be yet still made their stores open early even with nothing to sel...

Anonymous Coward

I'll second you there...

Apple should have anticipated this... but no.

Now we sit there with our thumbs up our arses, waiting... and waiting... and waiting. Or... buying a different phone instead and telling Apple exactly where to shove their game-changing phone.

Silver badge

Could be their obsessive secrecy?

Would Apple, even after the Gizmodo reveal, refuse to allow an extended pre-announcement production period out of a paranoid desire for privacy? I'm not willing to rule it out.

600,000 preorders remember?

I'm not surprised. I suspect Apple looked after their own first and allocated most stock to those massive pre orders from the Apple store then sent the rest to bricks and mortar apple stores.

Thumb Up

O2 Stock

32 16Gb ones, and 19 32Gb ones at my local. They went up the queue and took names until they were all "allocated", and told everyone else to go away. I was 35 in line and it took an hour of queueing to walk out with one in my hand. Simple.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Simpler

My way was about 23 hours faster than your example, plus I get to queue at a known time when I can make myself available outside of work hours, and don't have to wait in all day for a delivery. Simple.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

And?

It's not a life-support machine or a new kidney, it's a feckin' phone. Nobody's gonna die for the want of 24 hours waiting, or even a week's waiting for that matter.

If you want to get a new phone and are happy queueing up at a silly hour for an extended period of time to do so, that's your call. But trying to pretend that doing so is somehow easier than ordering over the phone and getting it delivered through the post/courier is a bit silly.

Methinks he doth protest too much

a) I'm glad to see that you are fully au fait with everyone's reasons for buying what they want to buy. That must be one hell of a talent. Is my life lacking because I am expecting a baby within a week and am going to really appreciate the ability to take decent pictures and video at any time with a device that will hardly ever be more than a reach away? I hope not, I think that's a reasonable reason for wanting one in the first place, never mind at the earliest opportunity

b) I've spent more time queuing for Rita Queen of Speed at Alton Towers before now. That wasn't an hour wasted, it was an hour spend wisely given the constraints that I have on my time. How much time have you spent reading comments on internet articles (and coming back to check for replies) for a device that holds no interest for you other than to attack it's users as having no life etc? I'm guessing your close to the time I spent in a queue having a laugh with people...

Perhaps if you spent a fraction of the time you spend ridiculing other peoples choices to stop and think about why you are doing it, you might realise that you are just wasting your own utterly lacking life?

Double muppet

a) "appreciate the ability to take decent pictures and video" So you're not getting an iPhone then are you?

b) No complaints about queueing for a roller-coaster.... but you can't exactly order a ride on the coaster through the post can you? Nearest you can do is wait a few weeks for the hype to go down and go when the demand is lower... wait, you can do that for the phone too!

Joke

jeez...

What is it about Apple products that makes otherwise rational human beings behave like complete maniacs?

You're right

"But trying to pretend that doing so is somehow easier than ordering over the phone and getting it delivered through the post/courier is a bit silly"

What a good job I didn't do that. I just said I queued for an hour and bought one, and that was simple. Easier than getting one delivered? Possibly not, but then maybe it actually was. After all, I went to a shop, waited a bit, and bought a phone. Can't get much easier than that.

Suggesting that just buying from a shop is simple does not equate to implying that ordering online is not simple. Perhaps both are simple at the end of the day. I just know that I have done my waiting already, and am not waiting for tomorrow to come so I can start waiting for a Van to arrive...

WTF?

I'm sorry

If my ability to queue patiently offends you. And I'm sorry that what I consider "decent" quality from a phone doesn't meet up to your exacting standards (Tell me, what do you use for pics and video when on the move? 2 Devices?)

I guess I'll just have to suffer with being perfectly happy with my choice of product and method of purchasing same. Poor me.

Go

After all

... isn't patient queuing something the British do very well, and are possibly among the best in the world at it? Wait with pride!

Happy

Fair enough then

Case of mileage variation, I guess - if I'm going into a shop to buy something it's mostly because it's either not available online or I want to have a look at it and play around a bit before deciding if I definitely want it. Otherwise I order online and get it delivered to work.

Queueing at a shop for periods measured in hours is something I've done before, but only rarely - usually for signings at my local comics shop, in fact. But it's a good comparative item, since getting a comic signed by its author/artist is the sort of thing that for some people is worth the hassle and for others is a waste of time and ink.

Anyway, despite the increasingly acrimonious tone this comment thread is taking, it sounds like you've got what you wanted at a reasonable outlay. As much a win as anyone can reasonably hope for in the world of consumer electronics, methinks...

Bronze badge
Happy

@After all

Of course if Mr. Wilkinson had had to queue for an hour in the rain it wouldn't have been exactly "simple". On the contrary, it would have been ... perfect.

Best thread ever

In my opinion the only person who I wouldn't consider a **** for queening up to buy an iPhone on it's launch day is the "will it blend?" Bloke.

FAIL

Wrong end of the stick, old bean...

Nope...you sacrificed 1 hour of your life waiting for a phone. I assume you already have one.

You traded an hour of life for a phone upgrade.

letters and/or digits

I'm sorry I couldn't make your day then, it was very pleasant. Of course if it had been raining, I would either have got wet, or took an umbrella, or simply stood under the overhanging eaves like I did when the sun was in my eyes. Any of those options wouldn't have been the end of the world.

I think it's pointless to watch a live band from 200 meters away in a quagmire whilst getting rained on and pickpocketed, but I wouldn't tell anyone that going to Glastonbury is stupid if that's what they want to do.

Jobs Horns

and because it was in your hand

you couldn't make a call....

Gough

Chris...? Is that you by any chance?

You are all missing the point...

If Mr.Wilkinson had been another 10 minuets later in arriving at his queue, he may have been number 53 in line. Putting him with the majority of people who queued up and then did not receive a phone, thus wasting their time more then otherwise. He got lucky, and luck is not so simple.

Anonymous Coward

Yeah, right.

Amazing as it sounds, people had babies BEFORE the IPhone came out. And we managed to take beautiful pictures that have lasted a lifetime. Please don't try to masquerade your obsessive consumerist need to have the latest toy behind some high-minded ideal. You aren't fooling anybody. What you are is an advertisers dream. A sheep that is herded, compliantly, into the machine that requires you to buy and consume immediately, and then to either act smug or wounded to anybody that questions your beliefs. Enjoy your IPhone. Hopefully, my tax dollars will never have to support you in old age.

Jobs Horns

Incredibly...

Amazing!

Bronze badge
Jobs Horns

And completely

incomprehensible to any rational human being.

Flame

Rational?

"What is it about Apple products that makes otherwise rational human beings behave like complete maniacs?"

I don't think that the person described in that blog is a rational one in any circumstance.. more like a yuppie wanker in every circumstance.

Anonymous Coward

Sounds to me like

he/she/them work for nophones4u or carphonewhorehouse, either way Apple have had the good sense to avoid selling good products in shoddy mobile phone shops...

The apple store we went to this morning has loads of phones, the queue was massive but all got served. Shock Horror, apple look like they are in the business of making money from their own shops, where the service is great (and apple store people came out with drinks, sweets, and information about what was happening, even when vodaphones sim delivery was 20mins late. Guy next to us said he wants a mac now since the service is so damn good)

Biggest thing (problem?) about today is M$ Steve Ballmers jealousy at the amount of love there is for the iPhone, does anyone think people will queue at 6am for the windoze7crapphone crapfest? no? didnt think so.

Thumb Down

Revised post

Your 2nd paragraph should be rewritten to accurately reflect the truth:

The apple store we went to this morning has loads of crap, the queue was retarded and all got ripped off. Shock Horror, apple look like they are in the business of making people believe that their lives would be insignificant unless they bought the latest greatest piece of junk they create, where the service is average (and apple store drones came out with drinks, sweets, and propaganda about what was happening, even when vodaphones sim delivery was 20mins late. Numpty next to us said he wants a mac now since the "service is so damn good".

Why wait in a shop, or queue/camp outside for a piece of technology that does pretty much the same thing (albeit with more restrictions and a higher price tag) than other devices on the Market?

If I waited in a queue for an hour only to find out the shop did not have enough stock to meet demand, I'd simply realise I was being an idiot who needed to get a life rather than complain about the way I was being treated.

iScientology

It's a cult. They way you describe the Apple store, yes its a cult!

WTF?

How dare you

How dare you not have an iPhone4 in stock!

How could you do this to me.

If I don't get an iPhone4 right now, right this GodDamn minute everyone and I mean EVERYONE will know I'm a low life looser!

and it will be all your FAULT!

Thumb Up

Probably...

...drove away in a Beamer too.

Stereotyping? Nah. Experience and cynicism.

Jobs Horns

Apple are at least ensuring parity of treatment...

...between the East and West; anyone that they inveigle into either manufacturing, distributing or selling the damn thing gets treated like crap. Your correspondent has my sympathy.

Do I NEED to provide a reason for Evil Stevil?

Flame

Which is it then?

Incompetence or malice - either option makes Apple look stupid.

Anonymous Coward

Best article ever

What Apple do to people is evil.

Jobs Halo

Evil?

What people do to themselves is evil. Apple didn't do this to them.

Anonymous Coward

Fucking classic Apple hype

"This "launch" is either clusterfuck of epic proportions or an equally epic marketing coup. I can't quite work out which"

Silver badge

Patent that

I wonder whether Apple have patented marketing dept. engineered product shortage launch strategies yet.

What's that about prior art?

Well what about it, doesn't normally stop them.

Re: Patent that

I thought Sony had prior art on the technique....

Happy

The more I read...

...about the iPhone 4 hypefest, the happier I am that I took the opportunity to use the pending iPhone 4 launch to get a cheap iPhone 3GS upgrade out of my current operator. Managed to get one for considerably less than I paid for a crappy Nokia 5800 thingy last year and without extending my contract by any more than a couple of weeks. Result!

Oh but how I have regretted getting that 5800 rubbish over the course of the last 12 months. Come on Nokia - you used to make decent phones, but your latest efforts are damned awful! It's no wonder that people are frothing at the nethers over things like iPhones and Android.

Why bother?

The i4 will be un-cool hours later when more people get one, do they not understand this?

Fashon accessories become unfashonable as soon as the public jumps on the bandwagon. This time it seems to have happened even before the launch, so that makes every i4 owner a twat.

Isn't camping outside a shop overnight a waste of time? For a phone. After all, it is just a phone right?

Suckers, every single one of them.

I agree

If someone shows me his new iPhone4 over the next week or two I'm gonna have to restrain myself from laughing in his face.

My bet is they already have the iPhone4 3.2GSi CSX 16v Turbo Injection or whatever lined up and are just waiting for the iPhone4 hype to die before releasing it as a new must have model.

Gold badge

Queue always happen for big product launches

So people who queued for the XBox 360 or PS3 were stupid too? it's not a fashion accessory, it is a device that people want because it is a good improvement on what they have already.

Look at the leap between the PS2 and the PS3, not saying the iPhone 3GS to 4 leap was that huge, but it's big enough for people to want to get hold of one as soon as possible.

Paris Hilton

Ninteodo Wii all over again.

Consumers (particularly Apple and Nintendo ones) really are retarded...

Even Paris can see through this hype-fueled scam.

Bronze badge
FAIL

Eh, Nintendo?

I don't think you can compare Apple and Nintendo. Nintendo didn't expect their console to be that popular and didn't produce enough. (or was cheap). Apple knows their products blow, and try to make them seem better by shorting production. Partly to make it seem like that "everyone must have bought one already" and partly for the retards who "want something specifically because they can't have it".

Anonymous Coward

On the positive side

> Oh, and employees are banned from buying one on pain of dismissal

Pity don't know what company this is as they'd have gone up in my estimation. Remember hearing from someone a couple of Christmases back when everyone was trying to get Wii's that he'd gone into a local Asda and asked a member of staff if they had any Wii's in stock ... person he spoke to turned out to be a manager who replied that they'd had a delivery that morning and was surprised that they weren't displayed as being in stock and he'd go and investigate ... he came back 5 mins later with one saying "yes, there's 20 that arrived this morning but they'd all been 'reserved' by staff - we're not going to have that going on here so here's yours and the rest are going on th eshelf now"

Gold badge

Re: On the positive side

So are employees who want a Wii/iPhone/whatever supposed to take their money to a competitor's store? Or are they graciously allowed to take (unpaid) a day off work and come in as a customer?

You get the loyalty that you deserve. If you treat your employees like dirt then you can't really complain if they then treat the customers like an inconvenience.

Anonymous Coward

what is the need to get one that quickly

I could understand it if they were of a limited production run, or discounted.

Its also the latest iPhone, not the first iPhone.

Either

You already have an iPhone - so you're already 90% of the way to the alleged nirvana of the Mark 4 and so waiting a day at most will hardly dent your lifestyle.

Or

this is your first iPhone - so if you need it that much why didn't you buy one of the models that was already out there. Or you've got by so far - why rush?

Or

You're a susceptible personality with too much time and money on your hands.

In which case, I AM A BANK CLARK WITH NIGERIA INVESTMENT BANK. I HAVE $14,000000 DOLLAR US SUM OF MONEY WHICH I SHARE WITH GOOD PERSON LIKE YOU.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.