back to article Security firms taking days to block malware

Anti-malware vendors can take up to 92.48 hours to block malicious sites, potentially leaving clients in blissful ignorance of threats to their systems in the meantime. Security researchers NSS Labs reviewed a range of endpoint security products from ten big-name security vendors and their response to "socially engineered or …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

93 hours

93 hours isn't surprising, and 5 hours is downright outstanding given that they're essentially playing a pointless game of wack-a-mole that will never end.

It just goes to show that these one size fits all security products aren't panaceas. Sure it beats having no protection at all but it doesn't excuse users from having to think carefully about what they're actually doing.

3G

So a non story?

Not even headline figures unless you pay £500 per person to view the report.

I think I'll give it a miss, pointless without the detail.

Silver badge

$495 per individual user?!?

Good God. For that sort of money you'd have thought they'd have remembered Avast...

Dead Vulture

Hmmmm

As 3G and heyrick have reported, this report weighs in at a handsome 500 USD per copy. It may be worthwhile considering this little nugget before posting such a story?

Or you could setup a forum where we could collaborate and organise a multi-user pricing discount!

Quite poor reporting really.....unless of course you're on commission.....

Anonymous Coward

Windows malware

I presume...

I already see the evidence

I use one of the AVs mentioned (and not one that gets any regular bashing from the folks on here) and am becoming increasingly aware that I receive obviously malicious email which the AV doesn't recognise as such until 5-24 hours after I received the email.

Then again, seeing as my (personal) server receives one spam every 6 minutes on average, 24/7 I probably get to see more malicious stuff sooner than most....

I'd probably see a lot more malicious stuff pass my AV if I didn't already have my own generic filters in force upstream which sends 97% of incoming mail to /dev/null

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums