back to article Oracle's Java police derailed by Google TV

While the authorities governing Java fiddle, the power is passing to another: Google. Four years back, the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) had a very public falling out with Sun Microsystems over the Test Compatibility Kits (TCKs) used to certify Java. Sun courted acclaim by open-sourcing Java, but then threw it away by …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Coat

De Facto -vs- De Jure

Sun had the same fixation with control as Oracle seems to. The "you can't have it your way" attitude and rampand fragmentation killed Handset Java (J2ME/CLDC), while Android could only have flourished under a name other than Java. SavaJe was Sun's last attempt to de-fragment and wrest control of mobile Java but was to little and waay too late.

As with many pseudo-standards, evolution will trump lawsuits in the Java/Android world. Oracle can try and mount an offense of Android, but why? Revenue on mobile java has slowed to a trickle and Android phones are a runaway success. Oracle's best bet would be to swallow it's (considerable) pride and seek peace with ASF and welcome Android into the Java fold. Failure to do this will just make Oracle look like fussy old farts.

Unhappy

EU should take Java away from Oracle

Oracle will obviously kill Java if this continues. Only beneficiary of this is Microsoft.

FAIL

No

Oracle WLS runs on java, so hard to see why oracle will kill java if your flagship product runs on java

Silver badge

Java won't die

Oracle might "own" the Java trademark but the reality is that if they don't pull their finger out then there are plenty of ways the platform can evolve without them. It's already happening. Languages like Groovy are almost supersets of Java and present a clear migration path.

I don't believe .NET will necessarily benefit. Java is more vibrant than ever, and in part it is precisely because people other than Oracle are coming in and shaking things up.

Thumb Down

Shame Dalvik is so bad

Android might be flourishing, but the horrible Dalvik implementation and associated hamstrung Harmony class library aren't going to crush J2ME any time soon. I haven't tried the new Dalvik jit (well that's not true I compiled it in on 2.1 and it crashed immediately), but J2ME was at least 5x faster. And how do you tell what Java APIs are available on Android? They are distributing half-packages for goodness sake! Google need to standardize it quick if they really want to take over.

WTF?

Why

..don't Apache just create their APJATEK (Apache Java Testing Kit) ? Screw Orasucle, roll your own ! Considering the quality of real-world J2ME and JWS implementations (try to use a UDP socket in a browser, if you want to crash the latter, for example), this would probably be a huge improvement.

Unhappy

@kdsandeep & DrXym

I did not mean like kill it entirely, they cant do that and they would not do it intentionally. But they can seriously damage it with this kind of behaviour. If Java fragments too much, then whole "write once, run everywhere" would be a joke. Oracle was never in high volume business and they don't even know how to play in that space. They couldn't care less if they are only ones using genuine Java. Oracle actually seems to like Java to be their secret sauce. Java will end up like UNIX if Oracle neglect it, fragmented and only used for high end apps by IBM and Oracle. That is like killing it.

Of course, other implementation will rise, but they will never get same recognition as the original. And if implementations are even slightly incompatible, then Microsoft have easy pickings like it had with UNIX workstations.

I would like to be wrong though...

Stop

Unix

...is actually flourishing in the form of Linux, BSD and MacOS X. Virtually all internet users are indirect Unix users when they use Google Search, do Facebook etc etc.

Unix is the Gorialla dominating the server rooms of the internet and people call it "Linux". "Fragmentation" has not hurt it in any way. Competition is good and I don't understand why it scares people.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums