No host nation has ever lost the opening game of the World Cup. Now combine that nugget with knowing that South Africa is the lowest-ranked football team, by some distance, to have ever hosted the competition – the squad is 83rd in FIFA's rankings. What do you think is going to happen when they face up to Mexico (ranked 17th) …
"hold the Jules Rimet Trophy aloft"
Jules Rimet Trophy
Eh they've not played for the Jules Rimet Trophy since 1970 when Brazil won it and got to keep it as the first country to win the it 3 times.
The Only Stat you Need
Bookies always have twice as many "Paying In" windows as "Paying Out" windows....
"Analysis: No host nation has ever lost the opening game of the World Cup."
Maybe I'm wrong, but didn't the host playing the opening game only start in 2006 with Germany?
Not really the best stat' el' Reg...
Maybe Mr Blincoe is writing this from the pub after a few adult beverages, or perhaps El Reg could use some stat help from BetterLogic, eh? lol iornee.
- Mounties always get their man: Heartbleed 'hacker', 19, CUFFED
- Batten down the hatches, Ubuntu 14.04 LTS due in TWO DAYS
- Samsung Galaxy S5 fingerprint scanner hacked in just 4 DAYS
- Feast your PUNY eyes on highest resolution phone display EVER
- AMD demos 'Berlin' Opteron, world's first heterogeneous system architecture server chip