Feeds

back to article Fanbois howl over 'hang a lot' Safari 5

Complaints about Apple's recently released Safari 5 continue to mount, but we've got a few suggested fixes — which, depending upon your situation, may be godsends or may be totally useless. Some of the reported problems, such as those involving misbehaving add-ons (aka plug-ins) are relatively simple to fix. Others – such as the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Joke

Flash

I've no doubt that these are all flash sites that are causing the problems. Jobbsie was absolutely right, just like he always is.

Silver badge

Perhaps...

"... and wait for version 5.0.1"

Perhaps not.

FAIL

Hmm, OK then,,,

"To be frank, unless you can't live without the new Safari Reader feature, you might well be better off downloading and installing a copy of Firefox, Chrome, or Opera "

Even if you can live without it, you can get Safari Reader (which Apple stole) for all browsers from here:

http://lab.arc90.com/experiments/readability/

Why ANYONE would use Safari when Opera on Mac is like a million times better, faster and fully featured. (and now totally native Cocoa)

FAIL

Stole?

"Even if you can live without it, you can get Safari Reader (which Apple stole) for all browsers from here:

http://lab.arc90.com/experiments/readability/"

It's called open source. Have you heard of it? The second-biggest section in Safari's "acknowledgements" page is about Arc90 and how it's used under the Apache 2 license.

Doofus.

Flame

You fail.

Apple haven't stolen it. Readability's licence allows them to do exactly what they have done/ Therefore it is not stealing. They even acknowledge Readability in the browser itself.

OH, and they have altered it (notably with multi-page concatenation) with features Readability does not have.

So no, you can't get Safari Reader from that site.

Go and sort your facts out first.

Grenade

re : Apple haven't stolen it

Maybe not, but they were more than happy to allow all and sundry to believe that it was a piece of Apple innovation and then bask in the misplaced admiration.

Yes, they acknowledged its source but they didn't exactly shout about it (old lavatory / filing cabinet / beware of leopard), instead preferring to let the fanboi sheep think that they created it.

Silver badge

@AC

On the contrary, the things Apple wanted to shout about and have everyone believe were super Apple coolness were part of Jobs' keynote. Safari 5 was announced with a brief press release that mentioned that the feature is there. The software itself credits the feature to its open source origin.

It's the fan websites themselves, not the company, that seem to have spent a couple of days being uninformed. And that's just the standard result of trusting people that are bloggers, not journalists, to relay facts.

FAIL

Time for a new catchphrase

How about "It may have hung but it didn't crash", or "It just works... when it wants to".

Happy

I prefer the old SOE favourite...

... "It's not a bug, it's a FEATURE" =D

Coat

Jeez, for "it just works"

Sounds like an awful lot of "it just doesn't work"

So glad the only Apple in my gaff is a Granny Smith..

Dead Vulture

Don't be suckered by the media

Remember, the bottom line for the media is to make a living, not to seek out the truth, or establish justice, our any other noble goal.

If you've read the Reg for a while, you'll notice they do this to every .0 release (not just from Apple). Trawl through Internet forums, find a smattering of people who have had a problem that might conceivably be linked to the new release, and proclaim to the world that it's causing widespread chaos and destruction. After all, who will read an article that says that it worked fine for virtually everyone, but revealed preexisting problems like corrupt/faulty hard drives or badly written plug-ins?

Take another look at the article - follow those links and count the number of people who might actually have a genuine problem with Safari 5.0. It's a very, very small number, one of whom actually realises he has a fault with his boot drive and many who have installed questionable plugins. There are some real bugs involved, but there always will be (and these are quickly resolved). When you consider that millions will be installing this and most (including myself) have carried out several completely successful installations, the article is unsubstantiated hype. But that's what most of the media is about - it's entertainment, not news.

Linux

I am a mac and I dont......

....seem to be as stable as the hype suggests.

I am however as overpriced as the hype expects.

Thumb Up

I must be one of the lucky ones…

So far Safari 5 has behaved impeccably for me. Still haven't decided if it's worth switching permanently from Firefox yet but I'm willing to give it a few more days (mind you, if it hadn't been for the quick appearance of an AdBlock extension I'd be back on Firefox already).

Thumb Up

Safari 5 works Great

I've had it running on a PowerBook and a MacBook Pro and I haven't seen a single problem.

It is REALLY snappy on the older PowerBook G4 that earlier versions of Safari were slow on.

Windows version ain't too bad either…

Even the Windows version is fairly snappy (on XP via VMWare Fusion).

Bronze badge

Interesting

I installed Safari 5 immediately on it becoming available. I did it on several Macs and on multiple Windows machines, too. No problems on any of those machines. Hmmm.

Anonymous Coward

actually surprised

this seems to be working by me on windows quite well.

unlike that other stinking pile of crap itunes !

Silver badge

There's a reason you rarely see iTunes apologists

I often wonder what the problem is on that one. Whether you like Safari's feature set and interface or not, it basically seems to work about as well on Windows as it does on OS X on a technical level. Conversely, iTunes for Windows sometimes feels like wading through treacle. It could be something to do with Safari being designed originally for Cocoa and OS X and all the modern stuff compared to iTunes being an OS 9 carryover reputedly full of legacy hacks, but somehow that doesn't feel like an entirely convincing argument.

FAIL

Of course...

But of course, it's a Mac, so don't worry. It just works. (or in this case, Apple software for all those cross-bred Safari-on-Windows *cough* beta testers *cough* software users)

FAIL

RE: Of course...

Except if you'd bothered to read what previous posters had written, you'd realise that the problem is limited to a very small number of users, some of whom already acknowledge that they had existing problems with their systems (dodgy plug-ins, wonky boot drives etc)

(If you really want to talk about Windows software being "beta" versions then can I just remind you about "Windows 7 beta", or Vista as it was known?)

WTF?

hang on...

..this guide was starting to get a bit technical. I thought OSX was made to be easy...you know so easy that dribbling goons with more money than sense can slap their one button mouse with their webbed hands and still get some job done.

all this hacking? well, its starting to expose (no pun intended) the BSD that lives underneath the hood.

which is no bad thing...if I have to do that on an OSX system rather than a pure Linux box (on much cheaper hardware but same spec) then I might just be interested enough in trying out their

fancy GUI installed of the latest SVN of GNOME ;-)

Silver badge
Jobs Halo

Well,

What a beautifully put, well-expressed, reasoned discourse.

Might one enquire if "A/C" is due to an inability to recall your name for more than a moment or two?

Stop

RE: hang on...

You do realise that the problems seem to have been limited to a very small number of users, most of whom had existing problems (wonky boot drives) or who had already fiddled about under the hood...?

Silver badge

@Ted Teen

Oh, leave them to it. Whatever you say, even barely coherent swear-filled invective is going to get substantially more upvotes than downvotes around here as long as whatever argument it makes appears to be anti-Apple. Someone has to be the kicking boy and it seems Apple have finally managed to claim a crown from Microsoft somewhere...

Safari OK for me

No problems with Safari so far. If I don't get to finish this message you know I spoke too soon. Just shows how tastes vary. I use Safari, Firefox, Opera and sometimes Camino, but much prefer Safari for most things. OK. That's the end of the messa.............................

Anonymous Coward

Ah, the Mac: "It Just Works".

apart from when it doesn't, and then it's the user's fault, either by installing something else that interferes even though the previous version worked fine with the same things installed or just in general.

Silver badge

With all due respect though

Most of the Safari plug-ins that people are having trouble with explicitly check the Safari version and actively refuse to work with newer versions. Which is not to let Apple off the hook because those plug-ins are mostly the sort that use various slightly dodgy workarounds to Apple's previous failure to provide a complete plug-in interface.

So it's not the users' fault that the software stops working but only because it's doing exactly what it was explicitly designed to do.

Anonymous Coward

Wondering

If this is what got Jobs during the demo, and not a Wi-Fi issue at all. He was demoing Safari 5, right?

Quoting Opera as a solution...

...and saying it's faster..now I know you've lost sanity. Opera is OK..heck I think I even paid for it back in the day...but it's really not in the top 3 I'd choose on a Mac.

Count me among the group that has had no problems with Safari 5.0 that weren't related to problems at certain websites....macintouch (et al) were getting hammered during and after WWDC and had problems serving pages at all.

....of course I didn't have any hacks (sorry plugins) installed in 4.05 either.

WTF?

wow

making software that doesn't work is weak

making software that doesn't work on the limited variety of hardware platforms you yourself designed and manufactured is something else.

I could have done a better job testing this in 15 minutes and still have had time to beat one out to the tune of the Birdie Song, as Steve Jobs apparently does nightly while he's tripping on LSD.

*clap* *clap* *clap*

Paris Hilton

Poor quality free software from Apple ?

Why am I not surprised ? More importantly why don't you expect it ?

Boffin

@Eeep

You want to know what's less surprising, the speed at which the anti-Apple-ites rushed here to throw clever phrases like, "it just works - hah!" around. So clever, so very clever. I'm certainly convinced.

Pint

works like a charm for me

although RBS online banking no longer works with version 5. it says it is an unsupported browser. . But all worked fine with release 4.0.2

Silver badge
Jobs Halo

I'm sure it will.

In Safari preferences, go to "Advanced", and tick "Show Develop menu in menu bar"

Then select "Develop" from menu bar,go down to "User agent" and you will see a whole list of other browsers, and you can select one. Safari will then masquerade - i.e. identify itself as being - to the RBS website.

I haven't tried it with RBS, but it's worked for me (with Safari 5 as well as earlier incarnations) with a whole plethora of sites requiring IE.

PS

Does the Reg now set exams in anti-Apple invective for all its journalists?

Thumb Up

Works fine for once

Since the update this is the first time its behaved, I've even ditched my Chrome browser as Safari opens up just as quick.

Anonymous Coward

Other workaround

1) To find out information, use an encyclopedia or consult a newspaper.

2) To do banking, simply walk to your nearest local branch.

3) Try using Adobe Flash sites (hopefully one crash will counteract another.

4) Use a PC with Firefox

5) Use Gopher.

6) Get somebody else to do it for you.

7) Become a council worker, or an organisation that revolves around a council. Maybe even a government worker. This will no longer become an issue as this will be the norm and you will get used to it.

8) Disconnect the internet (see new iPhone demo, problem solved).

9) Make up or invent whatever you are looking for (like a lot of businesses do nowadays).

10) Blame testing. Of course no organisation in their sweet minds bothers to do testing (clearly there are whole departments being paid a lot of money to do testing all day. Those individuals that say they can do a better job of testing than whole departments are of course completely correct, purely on the basis that they say so themselves(therefore this must be a TOTAL fact ;)).

11) Blame Jobs

12) Blame me

Alien

Re: 2) and 4)

"2) To do banking, simply walk to your nearest local branch."

My 'local' branch is about 7 miles away.

I went there a week ago to pay in some money. Foolishly, I wanted to pay in £200 in £1 coins. They refused, saying they would only take £100 and there was a queue (1 person behind me) and they only had a small safe. Again foolishly, I sarcastically said the customer had already bailed them out and was it not their turn? I was told not to speak to the cashier in that way. (p.s. I was sarcastic, not rude). Eventually they told me to go to a Post Office. I did. They were excellent and gave no trouble.

So much for local banking with humans. Crap.

"4) Use a PC with Firefox"

Why? No 2 is bad enough.

FAIL

Ha ha

Cons: no Apple support.

Anonymous Coward

apple criticism? expected result ITT..

thar be fanbois here

FAIL

oh camino baby

El reg now does Apple tech support? Did Apple transfer its QA department to ipads only?

And no Camino love?

Funnily enough

Safari 5 saved my skin last night when Firefox decided to get in a loop of crashing on start (with attendent crash reporter) and studiously attempt to restore those same webpages that caused it to crash in the first place.

Indeed having two browsers is the best course of action. As always some pages work on one and not the other, and vice versa.

Chrome? Woudn't even think about it. Those Google people make it (shiver). They've already got some of my WiFi packets after all!

Stop

Oh, dear!

No need for Safari to save your skin at all. Just disable the network interface (just a few clicks that's all) and this will prevent Firefox from reloading those badly behaving pr0n sites (I doubt your banking web site was doing it to you). Or if you prefer, just keep a portable version of Firefox somewhere on your hard disk, USB key, CD-ROM or whatever.

Thumb Up

pr0n? PRoN??

It was the NY Times amongst others thank you. My pr0n site have never let me down......;)

Good tip on disabling that interweb thingy - thanks. It reminds me it was how I got an ancient version of Photoshop Elements running once (it was hanging on startup going looking for updates).

Go

No problems here...

...though two popular Safari addons, Saft and PuthHelmet, don't work with Safari 5. If you use 'em, you gotta disable 'em.

I'll wait

I'll stick with Firefox until Safari 5 has been out for a few months.

FAIL

Why

anyone thinks a browser made by a company so anti freedom of choice, particularly freedom of web choice, is a good thing to use, is laughable.

Thumb Down

@AC re: anti freedom, yada yada yada

You forgot censorship and fascism. Then of course you can trot out the old nazi reference.

Anti-freedom my arse.

Be careful, your position is made of quick sand.

FAIL

RE: Why

"anyone thinks a browser made by a company so anti freedom of choice, particularly freedom of web choice, is a good thing to use, is laughable."

Safari lets me browse the same web sites as all the other browsers on my machine...

So my "web choice" is unaffected.

Bronze badge

Wait for it....

Cue Jobs blaming it all on "unapproved" plg-ins and forcing all plug-ins to be added via iTunes in 5... 4... 3... 2...

Pint

Anyone really use Safari?

My old man has a Mac, not really tech literate so he uses everything by the book, even he won't touch Safari as it has always been pants, preferring Firefox or Opera!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.