Feeds

back to article O2 to step back from unlimited mobile data deals

O2 is to stop bundling 'unlimited' data access with the smartphones it sells. Buy a smartphone on an O2 contract today and you'll get 'unlimited' data - well, unlimited up to the cut-off point mandated by O2' 'fair use' policy. However, from 24 June - the day O2 begins selling the iPhone 4, we note - data will be capped at …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Jobs Halo

...only one thing to say

... the bastards

Transparency is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

At least they're being transparent. I can't actually find out what my unlimited data limit is on Virgin

FAIL

that's a good thing

"At least they're being transparent. I can't actually find out what my unlimited data limit is on Virgin"

I assume, as you are commenting here, that you have access to google and fingers with which to type....I typed "virgin mobile unlimited data fair use" into google...First result (virgin site) told me it was 3GB...not hard is it now?

When the hell will people learn that search engines are not just for add delivery...FFS

Silver badge
Stop

thats odd

my android contract on virgin clearly says 1gb. Even on the online bill it has 1gb. The 3G dongle at work says 3gb on its contract.

Unlimited Data.... Well thats what you think!

All UK Mobile networks offer unlimited data bundles.... Well majority of them their version of unlimited is a hidden 1GB Cap. O2 have decided to be bold and come out and say the Cap is 1GB as 24 June 2010.... which all other networks currently have but advertise it as *Fair Usage policy Applies.

Meh

I don't see this as a huge problem personally. I've had my iPhone since January. I use the cellular network quite a bit (not for video or VOIP though) and so far I've used less than 400MB all in all. Those caps could be a lot worse

WTF?

Twaddle

I'm on an O2 unlimited data tariff on my iPhone 3GS. If I was to 'upgrade' my phone to a iPhone 4 I would have to start worrying about what I doing and watching how much data I'd be using? Thanks O2, I won't be upgrading just yet. Hmmm? Three are getting iPhone 4 too - maybe I'll swap to them once my contract is up?

O2 - limit customer experience - or charge them through the nose for it :(

WTF?

Also...

They giving unlimited text, but charging for MMS.

And I'm still not sure about the statement they say "Unlimited data on all smartphone tariffs is a promotion until 1 October 2010."

Is that only the tariffs they listed on the page, or really ALL tariffs?

FAIL

O2

O2 are getting expensive... I have just left! they couldn't get anywhere near the deals from any other operator, and now they are cutting back further?!

I suspect they have a thorn in thier side. and it is hurting. The consequence of a pair of blingy handcuffs no doubt.

Silver badge

Roaming caps

Now that caps are being enforced on what mobile operators cn charge for overseas use, they have just switched their cash-cow to be another service as a consequence.

Anonymous Coward

Running Scared

"FaceTime" - or video conferencing - is what must be scaring them. If Apple make it easy to use, and it's over a "network" rather than a "call", then this could gobble up lots of data. I thought I read (can't find it) that FaceTime only worked over WiFi ?

Bugger. And I was thinking of upgrading my contract to an iPhone 4! I had thought of buying one on PAYG and sticking my existing SIM in it, but it won't fit :(

jai
Silver badge

wifi only at the moment

yes, it's wifi only at the moment because Apple need to chat with the network operators first. i suspect they've so far flat out refused to allow video calls on their networks because of their unlimited data plans. once they've phased them out, then we'll be able to do video calls over the phone's data connection and the operators get to charge us a fortune for the data is uses up

Thumb Up

SIMs

Some judicious cutting and chopping with a sharp pair of scissors and a decent knife will rapidly convert your normal (mini) SIM into an iPhone 4/iPad friendly Micro SIM.

If you need to go back, you can buy Micro- t0 Mini-SIM adapters from eBay and elsewhere on t'Internets for a few quid.

FAIL

Well O2 just lost my business

I am buying another iPhone (V4) to go with the 3 we already have in the family. No way I want to be hit with a monthly cap on data. The stupidity of 'plans' is that they increase things that you don't need or use, like texts and voice calls, as they increase the thing you do want.

All our phones are on O2 at the moment (6 of us in the family) but looks like all will be changed to another carrier as soon as renewal time comes up.

Unhappy

re: Well O2 just lost my business

Good luck in finding a different carrier with unlimited data.

It sucks but the race to the bottom of the offerings pile is at full speed.

Anonymous Coward

they all have data caps....

...they just don't tell you. Instead they have what's known as a "fair use policy", which lays out the cap in the small print. For example, I have an "unlimited" data plan with Vodafone. However, the actual limit hidden the FUP is 500MB. The operators are dirty, weasly liars who are only able to act with such impunity w/r to consumer law due to the typically corrupt blind-eye-turning of Ofcom. O2 should be commended for making this ballsy move back toward transparency in this regard. I only wish it had been done for honorable reasons, rather than out of desperation caused by O2's crazed pursuit of exclusivity deals without the corresponding investment in infrastructure to serve all the new customers.

Thumb Up

giffgaff still have unlimited data

giffgaff still have unlimited data on their goodybags (PAYG monthly bundles), and they don't even have a FUP - they just stipulate that it is for handset use only (i.e. non-tethering). They only just introduced these goodybags so I'm sure they must have sorted out a fairly long term wholesale agreement with O2 (their carrier) for data. Their free data promotion (for non-goodybag users) ends at the end of June, but that's been on the cards for months anyway - and was originally planned to finish at the end of May but got extended for an extra month as they were waiting on O2 to get some mechanisms in place for their planned charging structure for PAYG data. The goodybag unlimited data is entirely separate from that promotion and is set to continue for the foreseeable future.

Worth checking them out at giffgaff.com - I've been with them since January and very pleased so far. I'm currently on their £10 goodybag which gets me 100 mins, unlimited texts and unlimited data each month - not to mention the £220 payback I'm getting this month for the last 6 months of forum participation and friend recommendation signups. They also have £15 (with 300 mins) and £35 (with unlimited minutes) goodybags available, or pure PAYG if you prefer - but that's not very attractive for smartphone data users. They are apparently also looking at getting into mobile broadband too, so might well be worth looking at for that as and when that comes along.

Silver badge
Flame

No Fail

O2 have just achieved mobile operator nirvana. All the whining dullards who expect gigabytes of data usage for pennies a month have hitched up their skirts and run off to other operators, leaving us loyal, long-standing customers to enjoy paying a reasonable price for a reasonable data usage on a no doubt suddenly much more responsive network. Thanks!

GJC

Thumb Down

Tethering

One would assume then that they have no problem with tethering after that, given you have the same limit...? Though the chances ofthat happening are the same as my bacon sandwich lifting off and flying home

Silver badge

Abso-bloody-lutely!

Completely agree, both with the sentiment and the chances. Previously I could understand the tethering charge as there was a natural limit to how much you could "eat" on an iPhone. Now though, you're paying (through the nose) specifically for a finite amount of data. To tell you how you can eat that is just ridiculous.

O2: We're better, connected (to the mains with a nail in place of the fuse)

Coat

fully agree

... but hell, if Always Tits-up & Tripe can do it, I'm sure O2 are thinking they can get away with it too.

mines the one with the iPad sized pocket

Bronze badge
FAIL

Which is really a way of saying...

"That we've spunked all that money on advertising lies and sponsorship rather then investing it in our network infrastructure... which is shit BTW."

Reconsidering upgrade

Well this changes things. Prob not going to upgrade now but stick with my current unlimited package

Thumb Down

data rip off

Not happy about this, I use my iphone data quite a lot, although I don't know the true extent of my volume of usage, but it is nice to know I have an unlimited plan.

Now I have to consider curbing my iphone usage in case I go over, which I fin disappointing.

Perhaps if they had a better value bolt on I might take it.

Re: data rip off

Settings > General > Usage > Cellular Network Data

I thought I used mine a lot, too - turns out I've only used 1Gb in 12 months; the rest has been by wifi.

Don't get me wrong, though - this is still a little annoying. But o2's terms seem to suggest that existing customers on unlimited tariffs won't lose the unlimited data (subject to FUP) in one section, and then simultaneously suggest it's only a promo lasting until October in another... hmm.

FAIL

Well from O2's perspective it beats investing in some INFRASTRUCTURE

Try using an iPhone somewhere, like the Isle of Man, which actually has a 3G infrastructure that works, and you'll find it an order of magnitude more useful.

Frankly, O2 should be banned from selling any more 3G handsets until it upgrades it to something with slightly more data capacity than someone yelling "one one nought one nought nought" through a piece of string with a tin can at each end.

Ofcom, as usual, are supine and useless.

FAIL