Already virtualized "the hard stuff"
We use VMWare for small applications and infrastructure clutter.
We use PowerVM for all the database workloads and larger applications
- is easy for easy workloads
- is very expensive
- is not architected for heavy I/O
- cannot have a virtual machine larger than 8 threads
- easy but you need to use AIX versions of software
- makes Power systems cheap compared to x86+VMWare
- Can handle the highest transaction rates we have had on black Friday
- can scale from one thread to I heard over a thousand in the new boxes.
Its a matter of picking the right platforms for the right work vs. how to try to get VMWare to do something it was not made to do