back to article Microsoft pushes WP7 plans for enterprise

Microsoft was always going to struggle to get coverage of its TechEd developer conference, and particularly its Windows Phone 7 plans, in the week of iPhone 4. But it is trying its best, outlining the WP7 strategy for its most natural market, the mobile enterprise. In addition, details of one of the first WP7 handsets likely to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tighter controls like Apple

Android platform just looks better and better by the day.

2. The Original Steve

Hmmmm

Whilst personally I've just got a HTC Desire (which is a truly great handset), I will need to think about what to replace our fleet of business handsets with around November / December time...

I've always like WM for the enterprise, however the UI is SO terrible I couldn't put my users through that when we refreshed the handsets 2 years ago. So I ended up going with Nokia E series.

If the administrator gets the same level of control as is provided over WM6.5 (e.g. what apps are allowed / disallowed, disable elements of the handset like Bluetooth or the browser etc.), the same security features (remote wipe, force encryption etc.) and a way for me to remove the XBox part then the handset is a contender.

Not sure about Android in the enterprise still, and as bias as it is I simply can't stand Apple. (If they think I'm going to install iTunes EVER on anything I manage they can think again). So currently I'm really only left with Blackberry (expensive) and Nokia (shite)...

Enterprise phone market really has gone downhill the last few years...

Anyone got suggestions for a handset with full Exchange 2007 / 2010 support - including remote wipe, encryption, other policies, as well as an easy to use GUI, replaceable battery, bluetooth and a decent battery...?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@The Original Steve

Great post it was, fully understand your position and wanting to lock down the systems your users use, especially if you are legally obligated to do so (e.g. public sector).

However, there is a trend away from this locked down world of IT and one of the big reasons has to do with attrition and getting the right employees to come to work for you. Not allowing any freedom of choice isn't the trend. Fully realising you don't want a user's system to compromise your internal IT systems is the challenge, but for those orgs that do, life is quite nice.

A competitor to this publication has a good article on what I'm trying to say: http://www.silicon.com/management/cio-insights/2010/03/16/want-an-iphone-and-a-netbook-at-work-heres-why-you-should-have-them-39745597/

(sorry reg)

3. Gil Grissum
    Grenade

Windows iPhone 7

Unless you're government, what kind of businesses provides all of their employees with Smartphones? What justifies that kind of expense in today's world? Laptops for sales or presentations to certain key employees, sure, but even all the way down to Admin Assistants, you're buying everyone phones?

With that being said, I'll be avoiding WP7, as my workplace (a school of medicine) doesn't buy anyone's cell phone and if I wanted an iPhone, I'd buy an iPhone. I can't defend Microsoft on this one. They basically have copied the iPhone approach to an app store, no native apps, remote wipe, and probably most of the touch screen interface. It's sad to see that they can't come up with anything innovative on their own. Apple will be just laughing at them while their lawyers sue the pants off Microsoft. What a joke. Yea, I'll be sticking with my Blackberry for a while....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like