back to article Operators' EU roaming challenge sent home

A legal challenge to the EU's capping of roaming rates, brought by the UK's four biggest networks, has failed at the European Court of Justice. Strictly speaking the case was against the UK's implementation of the rules, and thus was launched at the High Court of England and Wales in 2007 when the new rules were passed by the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. irish donkey
    Stop

Trying to do a Bank Job

Should of hired the same lawyers as the Banks had fighting the overdraft charges.

Thy would have got you off or the prices up what ever you want.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

quite so.

Those bank advocates in general, and Angela Knight in particular, would make Satan blush. They are hardcore. If you're not hiring them you don't want to win.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Vivianne

Vivianne, you are my hero! (or, as she would say, t'es mon héros)

penguin, because even they know when too much is too much *corporations*

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Call roaming is actually more justifiable than data roaming?

Because incoming phone calls have to be routed via a server in (I presume) the host country; you would expect this to cost more.

Whereas IP sites can be anywhere (often in the US) and should cost no more from one EU country than another; so to my mind "data roaming" is a meaningless concept.

1. Chad H.

Data does too

Data goes through a Gateway on the "home" network too (GGSN/APN), it might not be the most efficient way of doing things, but it ensures the billing works.

2. Bill Ray (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Call roaming is actually more justifiable than data roaming?

Strangely enough roaming calls aren't generally routed through the home network - though the home network is required to provide cryptographic examples (rather than keys) for identification and receives billable event notifications.

Data is, as Chad H. points out, routed through the home network, which means Google still comes up in English and operator-specific services are available.

Bill.

4. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Deserved

EVen now, I think the charges are high. They wont lose, these bastards, but will make a big noise about this and try and make some more money sneekily elsewhere.

Data roaming shoud be next, in fact even cheaper.

5. andy 49

VAT

quite often journalists forget to include a mention that the mandated rates are before VAT is added

6. Steven Pemberton
    Flame

Swindlers

I recently got a message from T-Mobile telling me that they had slashed rates on roaming,

And indeed, the per minute rate is halved. But now they charge per minute rather than per second, and add a per-call fee. So what used to cost at minimum 23 cents, now costs 104 cents. The break even point is at 3 minutes 30 seconds. I checked my most recent calls from abroad, and almost all calls are under 1 minute.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like