back to article Permabit's killer dedupe technology

Fast primary data deduplication, a Holy Grail of storage vendors, is set to be a practical reality with Permabit's Albireo product, a software library that can be integrated as a component by storage and application OEMs. Primary data deduplication has been seen as a CPU-cycle sucking monster that slows down application …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. dbharris

Editors?

The English in this article is terrible. Poor writing and editing really causes a serious hit to an article's credibility. Given the normally high standards at El Reg, I can only imagine that this article is an oversight.

1. Dave Gomm
      Thumb Up

acquisition target ?

Personally I'm less worried about the grammar and more about the content, perhaps that is a reflection of my own uneducated state !

I found the article very interesting, if Permabit is as good as it claims then I guess they'll be acquired in the next 18 months or so...

2. rfarkaly

You Missed Exar

Hi Chris. You missed Exar and BitWackr primary storage deduplication technology in you latest. (www.bitwackr.com) Our product is included in the VDI SSD storage appliances sold by Whiptail as the "Racerunner". As can be seen, we have done a pretty fair job of overcoming the "insertion loss" and latency issues that many are concerned about in primary storage deduplication. Our technology is also sold to OEMs and we have a long list of companies currently evaluating our technology. Our products are in both the Linux and Windows spaces. I believe we are the only primary storage deduplication product available for Windows Servers in addition to our Linux technology. Thanks for letting me set the record straight.

3. Dwayne
    Thumb Down

Making the Connection.

From Permabit...

"http://www.permabit.com/videos/dedupe-exposed-video.asp" -

Both Archive and backup with deduplication... Inline deduplication algorithms... Where have I heard this before? Chris help me?? Where have we heard this before???

Oh gosh - Just cannot make the connection this morning but hey Permabit makes dedup and NetApp does too and NetApp does purchase advertising from my employer so lets stuff NetApp into the article!

4. ActiveArchive
    Thumb Up

Good article, just needed the Exar information to be complete

The article makes the right points and asks the right questions about Permabit's dedupe tecnology for primary storage. But it should have included the Exar BitWackr to complete the picture.

5. lizardspeak

WhipTail Racerunner Inline Datadeduplication & Compression In Prod for Months

Hello Chris,

With all of the commenting that I've done in response to your postings over the past few months, I'm shocked we weren't mentioned in this article ;-)

As mentioned in the above comment, WhipTail's patent pending system aggregation technology enables us to partner with Exar to bring inline data deduplication AND compression to primary storage for SSD and HDD TODAY.

A great customer example is being used behind a server virtualization environment for a Fortune 500 insurance company. With the 150,000 IOPS, 0.1 ms latency, and 1.7 GB of throughput that the Racerunner provides, there is plenty of performance room to turn dedupe/compression on and SERIOUSLY consolidating the storage footprint for them while STILL speeding things up 2X - 3X.

We are also seeing 4:1 reduction ratios in database environments and 4:1 in NAS environments.

Once again, in a vast realm of conjecture and hearsay, WhipTail is delivering results in real, production environments.

Please contact me with any questions.

Ryan Snell

Regional Sales Manager

WhipTail Tech

615-337-0883

rsnell@whiptailtech.com

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like