Feeds

back to article Google readies 'late fall' Chrome OS release

Google is planning to spin out its browser-based Chrome OS "operating system" in the "late fall" of 2010, according to a Mountain View wonk. Sundar Pichai, who was speaking at the Computex show yesterday, said the company's Windows rival would arrive later this year. However, Google's product management veep didn't nail a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Bronze badge
Dead Vulture

32 and 64 bits

El Reg, WTF is x86-32? it's already bad with 64 bit, where they call it AMD64, EMT64m x86_64 or now x86-64, apparently, all for the same platform? Oh I know, EMT64 is intel's copy of AMD64 ....but please, standards, please ... I am tired of all these different spellings of the same shit!

Stop

Not just different spellings

The differences are there to determine what hardware platform the software can run on. x86 is used to denote a processor family based on Intel's 8086 and it's derivatives. x86-32 is commonly used to tell them apart from the other processor architectures such as SPARC and PowerPC.

Anonymous Coward

Meh

/careface

That is all.

Anonymous Coward

So....

Basically it's a single app, the Chrome browser, running on a linux/BSD kernel with all the web-apps housed up at the choccy-factory? Fair do's!

I'm sure I will grab a copy for a play in a VM, but this will be nothing more than a 5 min wonder for most of us.

I've already played with an early version.

Installed an image in VirtualBox. It is just Chrome browser with an extra settings tab and an always-open GMail tab.

My reaction was "meh" -- I can see it being used on very cheap hardware but it's even less exciting than the iPad.

Thumb Down

I wonder...

I wonder if anyone will sue Google, claiming that their browser is monopolising the online experience, as happened to Microsoft in the late 90's/early noughties.

Irony.

if somebody could

explain to me what the f... hell means a "native WEB OS", I'd be glad to learn how to make my brain believe in oxymorons.

So tired of this "lying and misleading is just normal marketing" thing.

Big Brother

Not interested

I won't touch this unless someone does an analysis of the released binaries to find out what it's leaking back to Google and their ever-expanding big brother database.

Not interested

I tried Chrome browsing but dumped it after only a few days. Lots of reasons but the killer was that I couldn't find anything like NoScript. Now there's Chrome OS? What's the point?

Big Brother

Is it me,

or did this announcement sound particularly Microsoftian in how much vaporware is being waved about? I know all companies do it to some degree, but maybe we need a 'jumping the shark' icon in the list.

This topic is closed for new posts.