back to article Steve Jobs talks Flash, 'lying S.O.B' devs, sex, and Gizmodocrime

Steve Jobs says that Flash has had its day, work on the iPad began before work on the iPhone, the Gizmodophone may have been "stolen out of [Apple engineer Gray Powell's] bag", at least one iPhone app developer is a "son of a bitch liar," and his sex life is "pretty good". These remarks — and many more — came in a wide-ranging …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. SuperTim
    Jobs Horns

Selective Amnesia?

"We told Adobe to show us something better, and they never did. It wasn't until we shipped the iPad that Adobe started to raise a stink about it,"

So Steve has forgotten the previous 3 years of iPhone flash denial has he. I seem to recall a lot of to-ing and fro-ing long before the iPad came out.

I agree there is a lot of crap flash out there, Unfortunately there is the odd good bit of flash. I am tired of the restrictions Steve "big" Jobs puts on OUR hardware. (i say OUR because once we've bought it, it is OURS". Sure his software that we licence, but then again, no other OS manufacturer deliberately prevents legitimate code executing.)

I don't think i will bother with an iPad, and unless the 4g/next gen iPhone is cheap, i wont bother with that either. Infact, sod it. I am not going to even eat apples anymore, Harumph...

1. Sean Timarco Baggaley
      Flame

"I say OUR because once we've bought it, it is OURS"

And MY washing machine is MINE! But it doesn't even come with an App Store! Gah! BASTARDS! How DARE Indesit make such a closed, walled-garden device! I can't wait until someone jailbreaks it!

Tell you what: When you're researching, designing and manufacturing your *own* products, risking your own (and your shareholders') damned money, *then* you can come back and claim they're *yours*!

Until then, fuck off. Seriously. Your whining is pitiful and pathetic. "Waah! Apple don't make a product exactly to my specifications! How DARE they ignore me? I am clearly representative of the entire market! Serve me! SERVE ME! DANCE! DANCE FOR ME!"

It's self-centred, entitlement whores like you who've made Simon Cowell rich.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Morons ahoy

"Tell you what: When you're researching, designing and manufacturing your *own* products, risking your own (and your shareholders') damned money, *then* you can come back and claim they're *yours*!"

Tell you what: When you're researching, designing and manufacturing your *own* cars, risking your own (and your shareholders') damned money, *then* you can come back and claim they're *yours* and that you want to use any petrol you like in them.

How dare people think that just because they handed cash over to Jobs that that in some way entitles them to OWN the product! The cheek!

Seriously, you Apple groupies really need to get your heads out of Jobs' arse and try thinking for yourselves. Either that or just fuck off and live with him in some sort of commune or something. I'm sure he'd be glad to have a supply of livers handy.

1. blackworx
          Pint

Re: Morons ahoy

"I'm sure he'd be glad to have a supply of livers handy."

I lol'd so much I had to wipe a tear from my eye.

2. Neill Mitchell

Washing machines a walled garden? Erm, no.

An washing machine does not only let you wash clothes bought solely from the machine manufacturer.

A washing machine does not force you to use a single brand of detergent.

A washing machine isn't missing standard connections every other washing machine has.

A washing machine does not reject clothes the manufacturer does not approve of.

A washing machine manufacturer does not enjoy a 43% markup.

A washing machine does not have an army of advocates who post pointless and meaningless analogies.

The only thing washing machines and Apple have in common is spin ;)

3. SuperTim

@Sean Timarco Baggaley

Ooooooh, Get You!

The iPhone i bought is mine. If you steal it, you have stolen it from me, not steve jobs. If i decide to throw it with significant force into your face, then My iphone may break, it's not steve jobs's . He can't sue me for criminal damage to his phone. If you were to sue anyone it would be me not steve jobs. Not that any of this matters because its all very easy to be a gobshite via a forum. I agree that steve has the right to manufacture what he wants, but then i have the right to have a bitch about it and not buy any other of his products on the basis that they are NOT GOOD ENOUGH! The iphone and ipad are marketed as being web enabled, hell even Jobsy thinks it can be used to browse the net while watching TV, yet it cant play flash anything. Sad facebookians and flashgame fans will not be very impressed (and at over 500 million, some of them would certainly be in the market for an ipad).

And i am not sure how i have made simon cowell rich, perhaps you could enlighten me.

Now be a good lad and get back to your "freelance journalism" or whatever being unemployed is called these days.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

@SuperTim

"Now be a good lad and get back to your "freelance journalism" or whatever being unemployed is called these days."

Wait...what? You are making freelance contribution to a journalistic entity sound like a bad thing.

Q_Q

4. Rob Dobs
        WTF?

Who's whining?

Few other businesses are able to force such restriction on their users. If Apple wanted to stay in their walled garden and NOT bother everyone else that might be a lot more agreeable to the rest of us. When they are showing a M$ style tactic of trying to cut off large portions of the marketplace from being able to interact openly with the rest of the world, I see it as negative and a problem.

Just because I am not forced to Join Scientology doesn't mean that I have to approve, or even accept them. Yes it's their decision to join the cult, but I doubt as many people would join if they are more informed. And their shitty behavior and ideas sometimes have negative effects on my little world. So I feel entitled to call BS when I see something shitty, I hardly think that is expecting a company to create products solely on my whim.

If Apple did not stifle other competitive options with bogus IP rights, lawsuits and other anti-competitve behavior it might be easier for other people to innovate their own versions and not have to bother Apple, Apple is not having that though They have already used terrorist tactics of fear mongering by claiming they have patents they can use to attack other touch phones, and video codecs, they DONT WANT competition, and they don't see it as useful, Google M$ .etc are all the same.

We all watched Sci-fi before, NONE of apples product are new and revolutionary to warrant preventing anyone else from making a similar product, but boy they keep patenting shit that we have already seen examples of, even if just fictional. Patents were NEVER meant to allow someone with deep pockets to get to new technology ideas first, and keep them as a tax on the masses. They should only get protection for something new and innovative, and even then they should only be protected for a few years, to give them a chance to develop a business before people like walmart can come in and undercut you on price. After a few years it is BETTER for the GENERAL PUBLIC to have this protection removed, so that price, rather than innovation becomes the purchasing factor. (Of course Walmart using slave labor is a whole other matter, price wars should not be won on the backs of the poor in the rest of the world.

Why is it that you jump from someone not liking the way they do business (which makes sense to me) or force behavior on people who purchase their products, into a petty cry of some spoiled prince that expect the world on a silver platter, talk about hyperbole and gross exaggeration!

I encourage you to research more on the term Fair Use and what it means to the general public.

When you buy something it is generally understood that you can then do WHATEVER You want to do with it, and Apple consistently goes against this common public expectation.

I guess you are the type of guy who leaves the radio in your car to the default settings, and leaves the pictures that come with the frame in. I on the other had like to be able to change my mind, and think for myself.

I would certainly rather have a nation of self-centered entitled people, than a bunch of sheeple citizens who do what people tell them and have no independence. Of course, if we all were thoughtful, responsible independent thinks that would be even better, but we have to realistic don't we!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Well, precisely.

You don't like it, don't buy it. It's not like Apple goes to any lengths to hide what their products don't do.

3. PC1512

3 years of iPhone flash denial

Show me a phone that was doing flash at all *well* during those three years of "denial".

Ask yourself why such a big deal is being made of the arrival of Flash 10.1 on the very latest Android phones. Has Android been "denying" flash previously?

1. Naughtyhorse
        FAIL

step away from the koolaid there fanboi

wtf are you taking about?

My car was designed by some dude in a drawing office somewhere (NOT on a mac btw :D), marketed by some suit in an office somewhere, built by a bloke with a spanner somewhere else.

but..

ITS MY FUCKING CAR!

what is your major malfunction dude?

1. Naughtyhorse
          FAIL

and another thing...

does your washing machine (un jailbroken) decide what detergent you use? or whether you can wash colours, whies or a mixture. or select the temperature of the water??

if you pulled your head out of your arse (theres an app for that) for just a second you might inderstand the question.

2. Anonymous Coward
          WTF?

@Naughtymule's malfunctioning

If you want to buy it, you can do whatever you want with it, include take it apart, put it in a blender, or even, get this, JAILBREAK it! Whatever you want to do, you can. Stop your infantile whining!

1. Naughtyhorse

whooosh

and there goes the point...

right over your head - id say as usual, but you are an anon cowherd

quelle surprise

boitard

1. Anonymous Coward
              FAIL

Wow

As your opinions get more extreme, your English seems to regress amusingly. Still, at least you've stopped swearing about your car now- I assume you found the tissues?

3. Anonymous Coward
          Coat

You seem to spend a lot of time ranting and swearing about your car..

Compensating for something, are we?

2. Tom Chiverton 1
        Flame

N900

Done.

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Steve Jobs

Sometimes I just wish that Steve Jobs would STFU!

1. Scott Mckenzie
      WTF?

Err..

So why in gods name would you read an article entitled 'Steve Jobs' then? I mean, there stands a pretty good chance it's going to be about him and therefore with your apparent dislike for the guy it seems a little daft to have clicked and indeed commented.

But hey ho.

1. peyton?
        Happy

@Er

Could be some people just can't resist checking in and finding out if Steve will reach a new plateau of hubris in his latest comments.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Down

Re: Err..

I said "sometimes". That implies I would have to read the article first. Yes, "err" is about the right title for your comment :))

2. Code Monkey

Carry on Steve

I found that interview most entertaining. It's just a question of not taking him too seriously.

3. Jimmy Floyd
    Jobs Horns

<sniff sniff> Mmm, I smell BS

"...acceptance of the iPad is proof..."

What acceptance? What proof? The world's gimp-like fanbois lapping up Steve's dribble is hardly a new paradigm.

"And then they run to the press and tell people about this oppression..."

Which, funnily enough, doesn't happen on other platforms. Must be coincidence.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

returned ours...

the lack of Flash on the iPad proved to be a significant blocker for our use-cases. It became clear in a couple of days that without Farmville et al it would quickly become a paperweight.

Returned it (one of the best aspects of shopping in the US!) and bought a cheap netbook that feels more solid and doesn't have any restrictions.

1. dylan 4
        FAIL

without farmville the iPad is useless

what a sad, sad life you must lead! news at 10: facebook tragics worldwide moan about apple products being a waste of their time. LOL.

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"95 per cent of all apps submitted (...) were approved within a week"

Uh, Steve, it's not the apps that don't get approved that are the issue, it's the ones that get approved, then get yanked off x weeks later for whatever reason that is the problem.

Well, it's not a problem for me, it's a problem for the "son-of-bitch" developers who continue to work for Jobs' platform despite the fact that His Jobsness is starting to sound more and more like a certain Zuckerberg. Or at least a bullying brat.

5. blackworx
    Unhappy

Sex with Steve

Chunder

6. Mark McNeill
    Joke

Well, he is hard of hearing

Steve's enigmatic last response:

"Are you feeling betrayed?" != "Are you getting laid?"

7. Dimitri
    FAIL

From Trucks to iPads? Not sure it's that simple!

"Jobs waxed metaphorically about how the rise of the iPad heralds the end of the PC era. "When we were an agrarian nation, all cars were trucks. But as people moved more towards urban centers, people started to get into cars. I think PCs are going to be like trucks. Less people will need them. And this is going to make some people uneasy.""

All cars were trucks? Sure tell that to Henry Ford. And even if many people mostly in rural communities in the US went from trucks to cars, they then decided they missed trucks and all got into SUV's ;-)

What's that mean?

Maybe the future is a super powerful PC that has a tablet form factor? Maybe the tablet is just a mobile UI screen with all the heavy duty processing done by a PC in the basement or in the cloud? I'm not sure but I'm distinctly unconvinced that the future is Apple's iPad vision.

Oh and hey, there's this other thing called the planet Earth where the other 96% of the human population lives. They also went from agrarian to urban societies but the trends about trucks and cars were not repeated.

What's THAT mean?

Means Steve talks a mean game of bullcr*p!

8. Campbeltonian
    FAIL

Worst car analogy ever.

Cars were the playthings of people with more money than sense long before anyone actually found a use for them.

1. PC1512
      Thumb Up

Yes

And that's why they were such a commercial failure.

Oh, wait...

9. Disintegrationnotallowed

Sometimes

I like my iPhone it was better than anything available 12 months ago, I prefer my Macbook to any other laptop I have had.

But he still sounds at least partially mad, like a dog barking at parked cars.

Flash is shit, I don't miss it at all, I mean ever, and the big deal being made about it makes me laugh.

Will next time I buy the latest iPhone? dunno, depends what is available. Will I buy an iPad? No, I have seen one and they are nice, but for me personally no, however I would recommend them to non-techie relatives/friends, as I don't want calls all day and night about antivrus/malware/missing documents, blah blah.

I do wish he would stfu at times though..

10. Seanmon
    Unhappy

Uck.

Steve Jobs. Sex life.

Thanks for that little mental image there.

11. John Carter 1
    Alert

yes and....

What about the limitation on user experience, stability, automatic updates, security issues and proprietary software that Microsoft throw at us?

1. dogged
      Stop

relevence

Your comment has none.

2. harryhedgehog
      Big Brother

@ John Carter 1

"What about the limitation on user experience, stability, automatic updates, security issues and proprietary software that Microsoft throw at us?"....eh hang on a mo'?

"user experience" - Win 7 has a great UI and very good user experience - whole family loves it

"stability" - lets see...since installing 4 months ago, not one issue.

"automatic updates" (which can be disabled of course) - just whats needed to keep a pc up to date with the latest security issues and protection. After all tech moves on and so do criminals. Same cant be said for Apples lot...and yes their are security holes in Macs.

"security issues" - 95% of the world is Windows so its inevitable that someone somewhere is going to try and break in. Just because no one can be arsed to weasel into Macs doesnt mean its secure. Far from it from what I have read...

"proprietary software that Microsoft throw at us" - yep, nice to have some free sw thrown in, oh...and the option to use any other sw I choose instead of Microsofts (so not really proprietary) - same cant be said for Apple (EVERTHING is proprietary and controlled as tightly as a gnats chuff with Apple!!)

12. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

So now he's calling everyone liars

He really did get bullied mercillessly at school, didn't he? If it were one or two developers then maybe, yes - he might be right. But it's becoming a steady stream of not just individuals but companies that are saying Jobs is a bit of a nob. Are they all liars? I think not.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

@AC

Grow some logic, your argument has none.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

The worlds most arrogant a^&%$&le:

"My sex life is pretty good these days," he said to the 63-year-old Mossberg

Not really surprising, since he is screwing pretty much every apple customer....

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

@AC

How dare you judge *my* purchases, lest you want me to look in your closet or hand bag and start criticising your decisions. Get out of my life.

14. Toastan Buttar

Sex

Kojak in a turtle-neck sweater.

1. Captain Thyratron
      Coffee/keyboard

You owe me a...

That's not coffee on my keyboard.

It is, however, The Register's closest analogue to a "your post made me chug backwards" icon.

15. This post has been deleted by its author

16. 46Bit
    WTF?

Wow

"... You have a much more direct and intimate relationship with the internet and media and apps and your content. It's like some intermediate thing has been removed and stripped away. Like that Claritin commercial where they strip away the film. It's like that."

Yeah, all those lovely lego bricks everywhere. Regardless of what the church of jobs preaches, the only advantage to me of an iPad would be it's very long battery life being perfect for Atlantic flights - and even then the Macbook range easily suffices when you bear in mind takeoff & landing.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Agrarian nation, trucks, cars? Pseud.

Pretentious, isn't he?

"When we were an agrarian nation." blah blah blah.

Surely he meant: "iPads are for people who don't need the hassle of maintaining a PC because they don't need the flexibility of one. In the same way that someone who only needs a car shouldn't have to buy a truck."

People who try to imbue their mundane observations with some kind of higher wisdom via spurious links to the development of mankind. Very pseud-ish.

18. Eddy Ito
    WTF?

Cart before horse?

When the US was really an agrarian nation, people didn't have trucks or cars. They had these things called horses which pulled various carts, carriages and the occasional sleigh. It wasn't until this little thing called the industrial revolution was well underway, if not finished, when people really got cars or trucks. Besides, the whole truck fad in the US was due to government largess handed to the big three in the form of a 25% tariff on the foreign competition. Before that trucks were, by and large, spartan work vehicles with stiff suspensions but now they are fairly car like with plush interiors that you really don't want to get dirty much less clean with a hose the way we used to.

19. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Stuff

To all those screaming bloody murder about it being your hardware. You are correct, you can do whatever you want with it and no one is stopping you. It's not illegal.

Hack it and compile your own OS if you want but the iPhone OS is licensed and is illegal to crack etc etc.

FYI, you own all rights to the hardware it's yours but not the software.

1. Lou Gosselin

@Stuff

"FYI, you own all rights to the hardware it's yours but not the software."

Actually, that argument is misconceived, this debate has little to do with software owned by apple. The concern for developers is the right to run software which we own the rights to, not apple.

There are numerous applications, open source and otherwise, which we would have the rights to compile and use on an ipad, except that apple's drm prevents us from doing so.

Maybe I'm old fashioned and closed platforms are the way of the future, but I'll fight tooth and nail to protect the freedoms developers once had.

20. Naughtyhorse
    Joke

brave

I must say it's vey brave of Mr jobs to counjour up images of cars and trucks when in effect he's trying to flog the world a shiny new bike

21. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

HELP ME!!!

"My sex life is pretty good these days," he said to the 63-year-old Mossberg

PLEASE MAKE IT STOP!!!!! THE AWFUL MENTAL IMAGES OF HIS LIVER-SPOTTED, PEACH DOING THE RHUMBA!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like