back to article PARIS goes to 60,000 feet, without leaving the ground

The Paper Aircraft Released Into Space (PARIS) team took a day trip to QinetiQ in Farnborough yesterday in order to use a hypobaric chamber to test the plane's release mechanism. The chamber is a pleasingly old-school lump of iron which is controlled not with some la-di-dah user interface but with large, red-painted wheels. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Paris Hilton

Pushing The Envelope...

PARIS joins the Ten Mile High Club. Neat.

Silver badge
Coat

Better yet...

... apparently there's going to be a video of it!

I'll get me coat.

and even better

This one has a couple of technical chaps involved, so one of them might hold the camera in a nice steady manner.

Silver badge
Boffin

Pardon

Perhaps you shouldn't be relying on Boyle's Law (p*V=constant), instead try the combined gas law (p*V/T=constant) and account for temperature. Since temp is not going to be constant between sea level (~295 K) and 60,000 feet (~217 K) you might not climax as early as you'd like, not that I think PARIS would mind. Yes, it'll be cold but you won't have trouble keeping it up, you also might want to use a dry gas to prevent condensation and icing.

(Written by Reg staff)

Re: Pardon

Hello,

We were worried about condensation, but aren't now. And some form of heating device might be involved to try and keep a constant temperature...

Lester will reveal all later.

cheers

john

Silver badge

isothermal

A heater is an interesting concept but I still wonder if the isothermal approach is the best. It might be better to try an adiabatic (isentropic) pressure calculation that doesn't consume precious battery power on a nichrome wire.

Paris Hilton

Returning the favour

Nice to see PARIS getting the air sucked out of her...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums